RAM buying advise

Percutio

So I currently have 2x8GB 3200Mhz memory with 16-18-18-36 timings on an Intel system. I need to upgrade to 32GB of ram, so I am considering a 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-19-19-39 kit. My real question is whether or not we will see new RAM technologies/breakthroughs in the next 2-4 years. If I get this 2x16GB kit, then I can use this for a Ryzen system when I do a full system upgrade in 2-4 years. The 2x8GB kit will just be shelved right now until I decide to make a DIY NAS, or when I do do the full system upgrade just put this 2x8GB kit back into the Intel system.

Is it worth it to future proof like this and get the 2x16GB kit, or just get another 2x8GB kit of the kit I have right now and get the 32GB of RAM like this? 

Kinda rude sounding question, but what is the reason you "need" to upgrade to 32gb.  Are you running VMs etc? Video editing, etc?  There are zero games that come close to needing more then about 9-10gb (including backround tasks), and likely wont be for long while, not before the standard moves to DDR5, and then likely some time after that.

1 minute ago, Otto_iii said:

Kinda rude sounding question, but what is the reason you "need" to upgrade to 32gb.  Are you running VMs etc? Video editing?

VMs are sometimes a thing, but mainly right now I need the RAM for running a modded Minecraft server and client at the same time. I'd otherwise need to close everything else to run both with decent RAM allocated to them.

There is a planned upgrade to ddr5, but it's going to be a while until we see that, and it's going to very expensive. So i'd go for the 3600 c16 kit now, especially if it's a good offer.

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

There is a planned upgrade to ddr5, but it's going to be a while until we see that, and it's going to very expensive. So i'd go for the 3600 c16 kit now, especially if it's a good offer.

A quick search says DDR5 has an estimated release date for 2020, so I'd assume a system upgrade in 2-4 years can take advantage of that for a decent price? I probably wouldn't mind waiting an extra year for DDR5 to get to a good price when I do want to do that system upgrade in the future.

I'm also concerned if new dies will make DDR4 even better. Samsung discontinued their b dies, so I won't be able to find them for a good price. A dies have good capacity, but their performance is pretty bad right now so it's not worth considering.

The ryzen 4000 series will still be am4. I think amd will implement ddr5 on the am5 platform, probably late 2021. Not sure what intel's plans are. I think that the 4000 series ryzen will be a good system to upgrade from yours and will last you for a few years.

38 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Not sure what intel's plans are. 

I think intel as a whole is silly atm, but i like to think it looks something like this in a few years

Spoiler

image.png.5764657bc416f948d0248e1e7a926dab.png

thats a ways off though at this point