Can my PC run Windows XP?

Hey everyone

I have a old laptop from 2009 which my uncle used and it was running Windows XP at that time. In 2017, I got that laptop from my uncle just to have fun with it. It was running WINDOWS 10. So i was wondering that can i install Windows XP again?. This experiment may sound funny. My first pc had Windows XP. My second one had Windows 7. And now all the PC'S i have runs Windows 10.

Can i install Windows XP on these PC's ??

Lenovo thinkpad Sl400

Intel Core 2 duo T6670

4GB Ram

300gb WD hard drive

Integrated Graphics

Windows 10(was running Windows XP)

Acer aspire AX3810(i don't remember the model number properly so it may be wrong)

It was sitting on our store room since 6 years after the GPU died :(

Core 2 duo(i don't know the model no but it was 32 bit or X86)

2GB ram

500gb hard disk

Geforce 7800(maybe)

Next of these are newer hardware

Lenovo ideapad 310

Intel Core I5 7200u

8GB ram

Sandisk 1tb SSD

Geforce 920m

Custom built AMD pc

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Msi B450 tomahawk 

16GB ram

GTX 1070

250GB Samsung 960 evo

2TB Seagate barracuda 

Custom built Intel pc(Uncle's pc)

Intel core I5 8600k

Asus strix Z370-E

16GB ram

GT 1030?

250GB Samsung 960 evo

2X2TB Seagate barracuda

Can these machines run WINDOWS XP

Edit:

My first Pentium 4 machine died a year ago. It had windows XP. Then i installed windows 10. It ran fine until the board died. That machine is disassembled and kept in my store room.

Edited by imaproboi

Theoretically they should work. Can't say if it'd actually work on the 7200u, Ryzen, or 8600k. The Ryzen is the least likely to work.

-アパゾ

If they all have windows 10 or anything older than xp, then yes. Those specs are even more than enough for xp.

Although, I can't say xp will run perfectly nor you will be able to complete the install.

You might need to use a VM to run Windows XP. I'm probably wrong though.

i3-9100F | Asus Prime C370 | 16GB EVGA Super OC DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX 1650 ITX | 120GB Inland SSD | 1TB HDD | Carbide 175R | CoolerMaster 500W

1 hour ago, RyanTech said:

You might need to use a VM to run Windows XP. I'm probably wrong though.

I already used a VM. So i wanted to do something crazy. 

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

If it came with something like Windows 7 preinstalled (when new from store) it should work natively.

It runs Windows 10 Perfectly without any issues. It performs better than the cheapest budget laptops. My uncle works for Lenovo. He was like "Core 2 duo's can run windows XP. But Newer ones will struggle"

But i needed more opinions.

Newer ones may have problem with drivers. If I good remember, 4th gen lga1150 was last supported motherboards.

On 12/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, homeap5 said:

Newer ones may have problem with drivers. If I good remember, 4th gen lga1150 was last supported motherboards.

I do have older hardware lying in our store room Since 2006.

The old ones no issue, but there likely won't be any XP drivers to get the new stuff working.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

The old ones no issue, but there likely won't be any XP drivers to get the new stuff working.

Yeah. That's what i was thinking about. Maybe I'll give up on this.

If you've got old drives laying around to use for the installs you won't lose much more than time by trying. Do disconnect any drives you might have valuable data on before though if any.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I would not suggest you to install XP because I've ran into some issues with one of those: for instance Chrome didn't work and I had to choose from an old version of Firefox, an old version of Seamonkey or internet Explorer as a browser. 

Html5 had issues also, so Youtube was also not an option there... 

Windows10 is lighter and if you tweak it and debloat it properly it will work better than XP

If you like to use outdated OSes you should consider Win7 instead of XP, unless you don't really need it for unknown reasons. 

The 2 Core 2 Duos will run fine with XP, the i5's and Ryzens are unlikely to. Its mostly due to drivers just not being written for XP. 

Your best bet is either 7 or 10. 7 is end of life in 2 weeks, so keep that in mind too.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, Raptor_Fawr said:

I would not suggest you to install XP because I've ran into some issues with one of those: for instance Chrome didn't work and I had to choose from an old version of Firefox, an old version of Seamonkey or internet Explorer as a browser. 

Html5 had issues also, so Youtube was also not an option there... 

Windows10 is lighter and if you tweak it and debloat it properly it will work better than XP

If you like to use outdated OSes you should consider Win7 instead of XP, unless you don't really need it for unknown reasons. 

My first pc died a year ago. It was running windows XP and everything was fine. Then i installed Windows 10 on it(it's Pentium 4 and  512mb ram). It still ran fine until the board died :(. 

BTW I'm doing this just for fun.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:16 PM, imaproboi said:

My first pc died a year ago. It was running windows XP and everything was fine. Then i installed Windows 10 on it(it's Pentium 4 and  512mb ram). It still ran fine until the board died :(. 

BTW I'm doing this just for fun.

Then you are luckyer than me, I had this computer at work that was a pain to use because winxp, dual core and 2gb ram ?

There is nothing wrong with XP beside compatibility issues with newer software but I guess it's ok if you need to revive an old system and you don't want to use a linux-based OS (I love them but if you need a proper office workstation windows is better because there is much more software)