Want to Transfer all Data from One SSD to another.

Zombert13

I bought a new laptop recently. I knew that if I get the lowest size ssd, I could buy a new one later and upgrade it for cheap. So that is what I did. This laptop comes with 2 SSD slots. The first one is occupied is currently used for everything including all windows 10 system info, and all the programs I installed from the past week. Its a 256 gb ssd. I bought a really fast 1tb ssd and already installed it. I have not partitioned it or configured it in anyway. It is in the second slot. I want to take all the system info and programs from the first drive, and put it in this new 1tb drive. 

What do I do?

Drives.PNG

I believe macrium reflect allows you to clone your smaller drive to a bigger one. If it is a one time thing, then you can just get the free trial. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Download and install Macrium Reflect or Ease US. But if you ask me, I’d rather backup my old files and reinstall Windows to the new SSD from scratch as cloning doesn’t have error correction. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I believe macrium reflect allows you to clone your smaller drive to a bigger one. If it is a one time thing, then you can just get the free trial. 

do i need to partition my new ssd first, or just do it? 

35 minutes ago, Zombert13 said:

Macrium Reflect does everything for you. It'll clone the source drive. If your Source drive is your main C drive, then how your C drive looks, your new drive will look like that. If your new drive is bigger (ie: old drive is 250GB, and new drive is 500GB), there is an option to extend whatever partition you want. There are some vids that show you how to do that.

Fire Tail: CPU - Intel 7700k. MOBO - MSI M5 Gaming Z270

RAM - G.Skill RipJaws V 2x8GB (16GB). GPU - MSI 1070 Gaming X

Editing Rig: CPU - AMD Ryzen 3900x with NZTX Krackenx240. MOBO - MSI ACE MEG Z570

RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (16GBx2) 3200hz. GPU - MSI Gaming Trio 2070 Super

36 minutes ago, Zombert13 said:

You need to do nothing, everything will set up by themselves.

Trim commend will automatically activated the partitions.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

You need to do nothing, everything will set up by themselves.

Trim commend will automatically activated the partitions.

My personal advise.

Do a fresh install to be 100% safe

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

My personal advise.

Do a fresh install to be 100% safe

i decided to do a fresh install, but im not sure what to do 

Just now, Zombert13 said:

i decided to do a fresh install, but im not sure what to do 

Transfer all the files you need to a USB stick or something.

Remove all drives from the PC.

Plug the new one.

And start a fresh install procedure from a USB stick that have the Windows 10