i think my 5700XT is overheating

angryx

I bought 5700 XT Red Dragon on amazon and at first look the card was ok but since the first day the card reached 50C when idle, i thought it supposed to be like that but today my PC suddenly freezed and i restarted it but then the computer start beeping, i replaced to my old card and the pc was able to boot to windows, i switched the 5700XT back and now the 5700XT makes electricity noise when the GPU on load, is this a normal behaviour or i should replace it?

dont look at idle temps coz somthing as simple as a video can up the degrees by alot already,  the card can run at 90*C easily  ,   electricity noises is probably coilwhine.  go and see what coilwhine is if its similar its normal

idle temps can vary from 30 to 65*C easily on gpus like that ( mines at 65 with a youtube vid on )

(◑‿◐)

well ok but what do you say about the freezes? i noticed my pc is freezing every time the card gets hot and also the fans sometimes not spinning at all

i can't blame the airflow in the case because it has 6 fans running at same RPM 3 for intake and 3 for exhaust. even my old R9 270X running at 29C at idle, this is really strange.

1 hour ago, greedyJoo said:

I bought 5700 XT Red Dragon on amazon and at first look the card was ok but since the first day the card reached 50C when idle, i thought it supposed to be like that but today my PC suddenly freezed and i restarted it but then the computer start beeping, i replaced to my old card and the pc was able to boot to windows, i switched the 5700XT back and now the 5700XT makes electricity noise when the GPU on load, is this a normal behaviour or i should replace it?

sounds like coil whine, maybe RMA just in case it was Amazon they'll accept anything back for replacement

1 hour ago, greedyJoo said:

well ok but what do you say about the freezes? i noticed my pc is freezing every time the card gets hot and also the fans sometimes not spinning at all

i can't blame the airflow in the case because it has 6 fans running at same RPM 3 for intake and 3 for exhaust. even my old R9 270X running at 29C at idle, this is really strange.

How’s the temps when your card is under heavy load (gaming or benchmarks) ??

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Just now, Whiro said:

How’s the temps when your card is under heavy load (gaming or benchmarks) ??

pc freezes, can't read temps lol

4 minutes ago, greedyJoo said:

pc freezes, can't read temps lol

Try to open some temp measuring tool (not sure which one you using) and some benchmark tool (heaven maybe) next to each other in window mode, look closely at what temp pc freezes 

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

2 hours ago, greedyJoo said:

What's your PC case and how much fans you have?

1 minute ago, RainingTacco said:

What's your PC case and how much fans you have?

already answered about fans, my case is P8 from antec

5 hours ago, greedyJoo said:

and also the fans sometimes not spinning at all

Create a custom fan curve, the defaults will thermal throttle the GPU before ramping over 60% IME, try not to let it go above 80 degrees at all.

6 hours ago, greedyJoo said:

already answered about fans, my case is P8 from antec

Antec P8 is very closed case, you need these three front fan slots occupied with high air static pressure fans and on quite high rpm do push lot of airflow. Your best bet is going negative pressure route. With 6 fans though you should be fine even with such case. GPU temp is not important for you, just watch the edge/junction temp not going over 90 degrees if possible. It can go as high as 105, but i doubt the card longevity[AMD says its fine, but...]

1 hour ago, RainingTacco said:

It can go as high as 105, but i doubt the card longevity[AMD says its fine, but...]

I can personally attest to 105° being just fine on the 5700XT. (at least with a reference board)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

11 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

Antec P8 is very closed case, you need these three front fan slots occupied with high air static pressure fans and on quite high rpm do push lot of airflow. Your best bet is going negative pressure route. With 6 fans though you should be fine even with such case. GPU temp is not important for you, just watch the edge/junction temp not going over 90 degrees if possible. It can go as high as 105, but i doubt the card longevity[AMD says its fine, but...]

junction temp reach 70C when idle lol, i'm returning this card

3 hours ago, greedyJoo said:

r u sure u have a good enough psu to run the card

(◑‿◐)

11 hours ago, greedyJoo said:

Yeah, that's about double what it should be. Probably something wrong with the thermal pads.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

By chance are you using pci 4? I remember reading a post with someone with a 5700xt in your same shoes. Apparently, he had a setting in uefi where it was quadrupling the pcie data rate causing the card to overclock and overheat...somehow. I believe he switched it from pcie 4 to 3 and it fixed the overheating and instability.

Its a long shot, but I've read about so many issues with 5700's and xt's using pcie 4...

26 minutes ago, steelo said:

By chance are you using pci 4? I remember reading a post with someone with a 5700xt in your same shoes. Apparently, he had a setting in uefi where it was quadrupling the pcie data rate causing the card to overclock and overheat...somehow. I believe he switched it from pcie 4 to 3 and it fixed the overheating and instability.

That makes no sense at all...

35 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Yeah, that's about double what it should be. Probably something wrong with the thermal pads.

That's not double, don't spread misinformation.Generally speaking junction temp will be 50-57 in idle, and GPU temp will be similar. Only under load the junction temp goes +20 degrees higher than gpu. So generally speaking GPU temp =70 degree, and junction will be 90. 

4 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

That makes no sense at all...

I know...I cant fathom how that would cause overheating issues.

But there definitely are issues with using pcie4 with thr rx5700's

17 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

That's not double, don't spread misinformation.

Considering mine sits at 40° at 10% usage, and it's a reference blower cooler that doesn't even turn on the fan until it hits 45°, I'd say "double" is pretty accurate.

13 hours ago, steelo said:

But there definitely are issues with using pcie4 with thr rx5700's

Strange... I haven't run into a single one. Then again, I do have everything updated, and I look up and customize my BIOS settings immediately when I first build or update my system.

2 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Considering mine sits at 40° at 10% usage, and it's a reference blower cooler that doesn't even turn on the fan until it hits 45°, I'd say "double" is pretty accurate.

Strange... I haven't run into a single one. Then again, I do have everything updated, and I look up and customize my BIOS settings immediately when I first build or update my system.

Reference coolers dont have "0 rpm" mode, while many AIB have, and it raises the temps significantly-the cooler engages only when gpu hit 60 on idle, thats first. Second, you might not have 144hz monitor, because on 144hz the GPU runs memory on full speed even on idle,thus raising the temp. 

16 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

Reference coolers dont have "0 rpm" mode

They do if you run the fan off an external controller... Which I did to test the "fan off" capability of the washer mod without the washers.

17 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

Second, you might not have 144hz monitor, because on 144hz the GPU runs memory on full speed even on idle,thus raising the temp. 

You tell me if this monitor does 144Hz: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG241C

38 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

They do if you run the fan off an external controller... Which I did to test the "fan off" capability of the washer mod without the washers.

You tell me if this monitor does 144Hz: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG241C

As i said, what's your memory clock at idle? Im not talking about any modding, or external controllers, any downvolting and nonstock interference. There are many people reporting 50-60 degrees at idle with 144hz monitors and memory running at full speed in idle. 

41 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

You tell me if this monitor does 144Hz

But are you ?% sure it runs 144Hz ?? ? 

Mr Tacco I think people know what they buying, if I intend to buy 144hz monitor I would do my research and make sure that monitor can do it. 
Its same if I say are you sure you both 5700xt not 5700

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO