We've reached 20 MILLION TREES!

Results45

We've reached funding to plant 20 MILLION TREES! Anyone up for another 20 Million?

n8IQGDI.png

Other worldwide tree-planting projects:

Our battle to save the planet continues............

Hell yes!

But this isn't tech news so...

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What a treet to see them hit those number! :)

Go team trees!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

When was this started? If we can do this so close to the end of the year, imagine what we could do if we started it at the beginning of next year. I bet we could have planted/could plant more than twice that.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

When was this started? If we can do this so close to the end of the year, imagine what we could do if we started it at the beginning of next year. I bet we could have planted/could plant more than twice that.

Early November I think

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

36 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Early November I think

So we planted 20 million trees in the span of two months. That's hella impressive. If we did that in two months, what could we do in twelve? I hope someone does something similar next year, would be awesome to keep a trend like this going.

10 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

So we planted 20 million trees in the span of two months. That's hella impressive. If we did that in two months, what could we do in twelve? I hope someone does something similar next year, would be awesome to keep a trend like this going.

It doesn't scale like that, the hype dies really fast. If I remember correctly they hit $10 million within a week, $15 million took a few weeks, and it took over a month for the last $5 million. Let it run for another 10 months and maybe you'd double it, if that. 

Not that I'm saying it's a bad idea to keep it going.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

To be clear, they haven’t literally planted the trees yet. 

Also like any fundraising campaign, it needs to have a deadline in order to push people to donate. 

The foundation accepts donations year round anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Scheer said:

It doesn't scale like that, the hype dies really fast. If I remember correctly they hit $10 million within a week, $15 million took a few weeks, and it took over a month for the last $5 million. Let it run for another 10 months and maybe you'd double it, if that. 

Not that I'm saying it's a bad idea to keep it going.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

According to deforestation statistics in the earlier 2000's we were cutting down around 7-10 billion trees a year and more recently that number is closer to 15 billion a year. I don't need to do the math for you to tell you this fundraiser is making a miniscule difference compared to the difference it would make holding corporations and governments responsible and changing the way we allow them to treat our planet.  

Certainly this is not a bad thing, 20 million trees is outstanding and is great for gathering support, but if you want to spend money to help combat climate change and deforestation, donate to a candidate of your choice (in the USA) who is fighting for these kinds of issues, or to organizations who lobby and fight these exact kind of battles.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

To be clear, they haven’t literally planted the trees yet. 

I'm aware of that. Guess I should have worded myself better.

1 hour ago, Polyvalent said:

According to deforestation statistics in the earlier 2000's we were cutting down around 7-10 billion trees a year and more recently that number is closer to 15 billion a year. I don't need to do the math for you to tell you this fundraiser is making a minuscule difference compared to the difference it would make holding corporations and governments responsible and changing the way we allow them to treat our planet.

IIRC Any company that removes a tree is required to replant another one. Logging and paper companies would be out of business if they did not replant.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

IIRC Any company that removes a tree is required to replant another one. Logging and paper companies would be out of business if they did not replant.

So deforestation is just a non-issue? Is that why we are frantically funding the planting of millions of trees?  You realize our fearless leader has taken away thousands of acres of national forest?  You realize it takes decades to grow back forest?

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The vast majority of forest loss is caused by unregulated deforestation.

While this whole donation thing is a way to make yourself feel good, back in reality it's doing little to nothing. The net gain of 20 million trees will be entirely negated in about 1 week due to unregulated deforestation.

EDIT: I guess to put it into perspective, there are over 3 trillion trees left in the world. There were 6 trillion before modern civilization.

Planting these trees only brings back about 0.000005% of what has been lost. We'd have to do this tree planting drive about 1.5 million times to get even again.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

33 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The vast majority of forest loss is caused by unregulated deforestation.

While this whole donation thing is a way to make yourself feel good, back in reality it's doing little to nothing. The net gain of 20 million trees will be entirely negated in about 1 week due to unregulated deforestation.

EDIT: I guess to put it into perspective, there are over 3 trillion trees left in the world. There were 6 trillion before modern civilization.

Planting these trees only brings back about 0.000005% of what has been lost. We'd have to do this tree planting drive about 1.5 million times to get even again.

every little helps.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 minutes ago, williamcll said:

every little helps.

I agree, I was saying this more in response to the person I quoted dismissing the notion that holding governments accountable is what really matters here.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

16 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I agree, I was saying this more in response to the person I quoted dismissing the notion that holding governments accountable is what really matters here.

It's not an either-or scenario. We need to do both. Hold them accountable - yes. And the US is sort of seeing some setbacks in a lot of environmental issues.

But planting an additional 20 million trees? An excellent idea (and frankly, tree planting drives have been happening for years - I remember them as a kid). Additionally, it gets people talking about the issues, gets more attention, gets more individuals to make small and easy changes to their own lifestyles, etc.

And it puts more pressure on Governments.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

we need to plant more tree's, especially in area's that have been clearcut, but the industry needs to be managed.

then start getting 3rd world countries to not pollute their watersheds which drains into the oceans

saying that, usa and canada dumps sewage into their watersheds so need to crack down on those areas too but its just a drop in the bucket and 20M tree's is a nothing burger but its a good start. lets get re-planting the amazon and stop clear cutting down there.