Fulla Schiit or Magni Modi Stack?

Buurvrouw

Hi fellow members,

Today is a great day. It's Thursday!

I would like to ask for your help regarding the choice between the Schiit Fulla 3 and Magni Modi stack.

My headphone is a Sennheiser HD599. So not a lot of power is needed. But I like sound quality.

At the moment I am using my Shanling M3s as my DAC/AMP combo. It sounds very good, but I don't want to trickle charge it =( (someone has an idea how I can make a data only USB-C Cable?) That would solve the problem.

Thanks!

Unrelated but;

Do you have a buurvrouw? You could be buurvrouw&buurvrouw instead of buurman&buurman

1 minute ago, GenericFanboy said:

Unrelated but;

Do you have a buurvrouw? You could be buurvrouw&buurvrouw instead of buurman&buurman

xD I have a Buurvrouw yes ;)

Well it depends swill you be collecting or upgrading in the future to harder to drive headphones? If yes grab the stack . If your planning on only keeping the 599. A combo would be the better idea if you manage to find the fiio k5 pro I'm stock I personally think that sounds much better than the fulla 2 or 3. But fulla 3 isn't bad either. 

The US prices dropped a lot over our post-Thanksgiving holiday. I've experimented with the Stack "3" and the Fulla 2. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference in sound quality with my headphones. I don't have ultra fancy headphones, but I tested with my X2hr and DT770-250ohm and they sound similar enough that I cannot recommend one over the other based on sound quality alone. Here are some pros/cons for both from my personal experience and opinion. I'm kind of a negative person so I will focus on cons :). A product is only as good as the negatives you can live with, right?

Stack "3"

+Looks very cool

+LOTS of power - low gain is enough to destroy your hearing for life

+MODI powers on/off with PC

+No drivers

-MAGNI powers on/off separately and the switch is on the back

-I count four cords to the units (between power and one input) 

-Volume knob is far too close to the headphones jack; not an issue for left handed operation but annoying for right

-Power lights do not align

-No convenient way to attach the units - the PSYT is ridiculously overpriced and is annoying to use

-No convenient or first party rigid connection

-Requires space for both units (for RCA cables if stacked, or desk space if separated, technically you could hide the MODI)

Fulla 2

+Super small and cute

+Power is connected to PC - very convenient - no need to turn it on/off separately

+Single cord to unit

+No drivers (unit name shows up at "I'm Fulla Schiit"

-Easy to saturate power even with 250ohm - for casual listening this shouldn't be a significant problem

-The unit tends to rock during operation because it only came with three feet instead of four (what the schiit is this all about??)

I'm keeping both though. I like the Stack on my personal desk and I plan to take the Fulla to work and replace my OriGen.

One more addition for the Fulla 2 (own one and use it to drive a pair of HD650 - can't comment on the stack, since I haven't listened to it)

+ also works with Android, specifically got a Micro USB to USB C Cable and occasionally drag the fulla from my desk to the couch for a comfy listening session (Tested successfully with Samsung SGS6, Huawei P20Pro and Galaxy Tab S2)

- at least my unit occasionally crackles when changing volume

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Thank you all for the comments, I will take them all into consideration =)

Happy Holidays!