*SPOILERS* Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker Discussion *SPOILERS*

LAwLz

I have only a casual interest in the whole SW space opera films.

I saw the original ones as they came out, but really only enjoyed the 1st two. (the Ewoks turned me off, to much kiddy in my space opera)

The Phantom Binks was the last one I saw and that did me in.

Having said that, I forced (err...) myself to watch the 8 issues of the Mandalorian.

I have but one question about the whole "I never take off my helmet!" thing:

What if he sneezes?

Actually, more questions about the Mandalorians:

If they never take off their helmets, sex must be really boring.

How does he drink?

Or shower for that matter?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have only a casual interest in the whole SW space opera films.

I saw the original ones as they came out, but really only enjoyed the 1st two. (the Ewoks turned me off, to much kiddy in my space opera)

The Phantom Binks was the last one I saw and that did me in.

Having said that, I forced (err...) myself to watch the 8 issues of the Mandalorian.

I have but one question about the whole "I never take off my helmet!" thing:

What if he sneezes?

Actually, more questions about the Mandalorians:

If they never take off their helmets, sex must be really boring.

How does he drink?

Or shower for that matter?

It’s not that he “literally” never takes off his helmet. It’s more like a kind of monk thing - he can only take it off when he’s alone (there may be additional exceptions, like members of the same clan, etc - but that’s not clear to me yet). 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Its garbage. Disney had no plan for the 3 movies, and it shows. there are so many plot holes its absurd. And lets not even start with the Mary Sue that is Rey Palpatine.

Top 10 plot holes ..no wait ...here

FYI: The RT audience score has been 'fixed'. Ignore it.

The Metacritic score is much more accurate (5/10)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 12/19/2019 at 3:50 AM, LAwLz said:

The phasing… Oh God the phasing. It was over 2 hours of break-neck speed with exposition dumps and action. 

I might even describe it as "so bad it's good", but with the looks and sounds of a blockbuster movie. 

JJ Abrams...He is the Michael Bay of star wars and star trek. He has zero respect for canon and overcompensates for weak (borderline stupid) story lines with flashy special effects and excessive lens flare. Granted, the first JJ Abrams star trek wasn't too bad... However, the rest of them however lacked any form of coherent story, they were essentially 90 minutes of dizzying (literally) eye candy. Also, the fact that 'hip and woke' Disney took over the franchise while continuing their current trend of shoving political correctness down everybody's throats did the movie no favors.

Sure, TROS 'looks' like a blockbuster if you watch the 2 minute previews, but most people are intelligent enough to see through the smoke and mirrors of deception that this is somehow a 'great' movie. And after about 10 minutes they will realize that they were just conned out of $20...

Disagree with me if you'd like, I'm just giving my honest opinion ?

The whole movie was ridiculous and a disappointment.

It was the only movie i felt like walking out on. The plot was terrible , unbelievable and stupid.

Recycled ideas, magnified to be ridiculous.

Oh there was planet destroying weapons on death star... lets put them on all our ships!

favorite charater is dead oh no wait... physc i was just fooling you they are not really dead. Aww Disney moment

Kill me get all sith powers... no wait i wont kill you... no wait i will look into space get all jedi powers and kill you anyways but thats okay now. Soooo stupid

Lets shoot force lightening into space and disable ships. Just ridiculous in terms of star wars universe but pretty cool yes everyone will love it lets ignore all lore of sith and jedi . Better yet hit only ships i want in giant force lightening cloud

Oh this creepy guy who killed his father... hes really a good guy all he need was a womans love to redeem him. Lets forget all terrible things he did its really just a sweet love story look at that cute kiss

Oh and because its a new day lets throw in a lesbian kiss at the end just because well its a new day and we are inclusive. Even though no where we saw their relationship explained and seems forced.

On and on just terrible movie. I absolutely hated it.

I swear its like they let a 4 year fan of star wars write the plot for the movie

After rewatching all the other movies and TROS, I kinda hate it. It's a good movie, but it's horrible if you consider that it's part of the Skywalker saga. IMO, it almost destroys Anakin's character, yeah he's still the chosen one, but is he really? You could definitely make a pretty convincing argument that he's not. And come on, why kill off Snoke and bring back Palpatine? Bringing back the Sith was another mistake IMO, because Anakin should have destroyed them in Return of the Jedi. (In theory anyway)

That being said, I don't think it was that bad given what they had to work with after Episode 8, but at this point, I really wouldn't mind if they made all the sequels not canon. xD

On 12/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, TVwazhere said:

I thought it fitting that Rey got her own saber in the end, but Yellow? Gotta wonder what all the colors start to mean, as I'm not finding anything conclusive or an overall consensus other than "Purple because Samuel Jackson wanted Purple"

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Saw this last Sunday. I don't see why it was getting so much hate

I enjoyed the film a lot; no where near as many infuriating moments compared to TLJ

Ray is a bit OP (healing scenes) but not nearly as OP as people where making her out to be. If anything Palpatine is WAY more OP (Force Storming the entire fleet with no exertion really needed)

I wish they would have made Ren go full dark side by making him proceed to crack under the 'self-pressure' of trying to live up to his grandfather's legacy and kind of get a paranoia thing going and then just snap and fully embrace the dark side rather than being a whiny emo fallen jedi as he was for the majority of this new trilogy

Why do I feel like Disney made Rey parentless in TFA so that they could just harvest fan theories from YouTube and use them in the movie.

I feel like the same thing would have happened to Snoke if he wasn't killed in TLJ

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 12/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, Shreyas1 said:

Why do I feel like Disney made Rey parentless in TFA so that they could just harvest fan theories from YouTube and use them in the movie.

I doubt JJ intentionally made her parentless just so he could rip off some fan theory - it's pretty clear that JJ left little snippets of hints as to her true heritage - I think he had that part planned out from TFA. As to whether or not Palps was gonna come back or not, there are definitely lots of hints for that direction in the current Disney Canon EU, so it could have been his intention from day one, but it's hard to say.

I think that was always JJ's intention, but since he wasn't supposed to come back for the third movie, it could well have been changed by the originally intended director.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, Shreyas1 said:

I feel like the same thing would have happened to Snoke if he wasn't killed in TLJ

What do you mean? You think JJ would have used some fan theory if Snoke was still alive?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 12/30/2019 at 9:34 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Bringing back the Sith was another mistake IMO, because Anakin should have destroyed them in Return of the Jedi. (In theory anyway)

Obviously you're free to feel however you want about that, but in the expanded canon the Sith still being a thing after ROTJ has been well established for a long time, even after Disney announced what was still "officially" canon and what wasn't. There were even a few comic books where Palpatine came back more or less as he does in the movie (it's clear JJ took inspiration from those, particularly for the world destroyer fleet and the fact that he "harvests" Jedi to complete his resurrection), though those are obviously no longer official canon.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:47 PM, tech.guru said:

Kill me get all sith powers... no wait i wont kill you... no wait i will look into space get all jedi powers and kill you anyways but thats okay now. Soooo stupid

That's basically what happens in episode 6...? The point of "dew it" is that if you kill him in anger then the dark side swallows you and you become like him. When she kills him to save her friends she's no longer acting out of hatred for him but out of love for the people she's saving. In the same way, Vader was acting directly to save his son.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:47 AM, VegetableStu said:

WHY ISN'T ADAM DRIVER IN THE LAST SCENE?!?!?! SO MUCH FOR REUNION

Yeah, I was kind of expecting the whole family to show up there - Anakin, Luke, Leia and Ben. As much as the characters live in the shadow of Vader's memory the audience is never reminded that he actually redeemed himself.

Maybe they'll make an unnecessary rerelease 30 years from now where they're added in CGI ?

On 12/29/2019 at 5:11 AM, circeseye said:

my biggest tiff, to damn fast, even the conversations seemed rushed. they could have added an hour to it and let people get a little more absorption of the scenes and people would have still paid to see it.

That's true, I feel like a lot of stuff could have been expanded upon without messing up the pacing. Palpatine could have been introduced in an actual scene instead of the introduction text, the knights of Ren could have done something meaningful other than getting their ass kicked by Kylo and so on.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

That's basically what happens in episode 6...? The point of "dew it" is that if you kill him in anger then the dark side swallows you and you become like him. When she kills him to save her friends she's no longer acting out of hatred for him but out of love for the people she's saving. In the same way, Vader was acting directly to save his son.

Except vader didnt look into space hear yoda and all these jedi speak and suddenly get more powerful.

I understand what director was trying to do, but it was poorly executed and cheesy. Like the reason why we finally found out why she had a second light saber hold them together to hold of the force lightening that was powerful enough to disable ships

While a story can have noble idea it has to make sense. The back story of him being her father itself wasn't even that interesting or even explained much how it happened.

You can see the theme of her making her own destiny and charting her own path. You can see what the director was trying to do... but i never felt attached to any of the characters story and none of the charaters were developed properly it was just moved forward for the plot.

Like the romance and redemption of Ren. It was complete 360 of his character that didnt seem to make sense (his mother killed herself so he changed his views?!)  Didnt matter when he killed his father?  While it didnt make sense for his character it made sense to advance the plot.

The whole movie was a mess,  and for me who was a fan of previous movies a disappointment.

This reminds me of last season of game of thrones.

7 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

Except vader didnt look into space hear yoda and all these jedi speak and suddenly get more powerful.

Well, we don't know what Vader was thinking/hearing, since we didn't have a POV of his inner dialog in that scene.

I understand what director was trying to do, but it was poorly executed and cheesy. Like the reason why we finally found out why she had a second light saber hold them together to hold of the force lightening that was powerful enough to disable ships

We've seen Canon examples of lightsabers deflecting lightning. Just because it's "more powerful" lightning doesn't inherently mean that it suddenly stops working.

While a story can have noble idea it has to make sense. The back story of him being her father itself wasn't even that interesting or even explained much how it happened.

Palps isn't her father...

He's her grandfather - and there's plenty of opportunity for that to happen, given what we know. In Legends (Old EU), Palps had tons of sexual partners/"lovers" (not that he likely ever loved a single one of them, or is even capable of love).

In current Canon, there would have been ample opportunity for Palps to have a lover on the side during the Clone Wars. In fact, it's even suggested that Sly Moore (one of his Advisors in the Republic) was getting it on with him. Sly might be the prime candidate for Palps having a child.

You can see the theme of her making her own destiny and charting her own path. You can see what the director was trying to do... but i never felt attached to any of the characters story and none of the charaters were developed properly it was just moved forward for the plot.

Like the romance and redemption of Ren. It was complete 360 of his character that didnt seem to make sense (his mother killed herself so he changed his views?!)  Didnt matter when he killed his father?  While it didnt make sense for his character it made sense to advance the plot.

The hint is that his father killed himself in TFA - he knew that this had to happen, and it would have been worse for Ben if Ben had "pulled the trigger" so to speak.

Also the "romance and redemption" of Ben was very obvious to me. Especially the romance between him and Rey - that writing was on the wall since TFA and was heavily reinforced in TLJ.

The whole movie was a mess,  and for me who was a fan of previous movies a disappointment.

This reminds me of last season of game of thrones.

Both had their issues - but in my mind, in both cases, people blew the negatives way out of proportion. Skywalker wasn't a total mess - it had it's problems, but it ended as well as it could have, given how TLJ ended.

I think the biggest problem with this movie (or all of the new trilogy movies) was that they put themselves in the shadows of the original. Rather than try to branch out and tell a new story, they felt obligated to throw in all of the old characters for the sake of nostalgia and completely undercut any impactful moments that the original trilogy had. They could have written the movies kind of like how Marvel does their cinematic universe, where they slowly build up characters on their own, then have them come together, and even include a big finale where the original cast shows up to lend a hand. It's not impossible to create new ideas within the same universe, and other Star Wars IP's had no problem doing so in other mediums.

I could have written my own Star Wars film trilogy and have been able to make both sides happy. I'd go as far to say that mine would be even better. Imagine if you will...

You have 3 movies detailing the struggles of all of these new characters, each movie dedicated to strictly these new characters and why the audience should care about them. The old movies and characters are barely referenced at all, and none of them actually appear. You build up this epic fight scene that took multiple movies to foreshadow, only for the new cast to be up against impossible odds. Now what? Well, that's when you bring in the original cast to support the new cast. Luke Swagwalker shows up strutting to the Bee Gee's with his 70's hairstyle and starts force blasting baddies with finger guns and pelvic thrusts. Chewy mumbles "I have a bad feeling about this" except only Han Solo understands him, and fans eat it up because literally every character has uttered that line in a Star Wars movie at some point except for Chewy. The original cast informs the new cast that they will fend off this overwhelming force (ha, pun intended) while the new cast deals with the big baddie of the trilogy. Just like that, the fans get a huge payoff by seeing their original heroes show up in their former glory to save the day while still respecting the character development of the new heroes and their ability to overcome the challenge imposed upon them by the plot. The best part? The original cast takes nothing away from the new cast. They don't dilute their character development or take away from their efforts, nor does the plot of the new movies retroactively destroy the efforts of the old films. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

The route Disney chose ended up severely limiting their potential. They kept trying to think up creative ways to exploit the nostalgia of the old characters that they completely forgot to make the new ones interesting or have their own depth. I am hoping that going forward, they can create some interesting movies without feeling the need to throw the original movies/characters in our faces for a quick "HEY, REMEMBER THESE?!" reaction.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

36 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

He wasn't a Jedi... also I don't see what this has to do with the original point?

38 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

Like the reason why we finally found out why she had a second light saber hold them together to hold of the force lightening that was powerful enough to disable ships

This is shown in the prequels, too. But it's not the reason she had two sabers - the reason she had two sabers was so she could give one to Ben.

39 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

It was hardly an immediate turnaround... he basically spent 2.5 movies fighting with himself, all he needed was evidence that his mother still cared for him to realize he wasn't too far gone yet.

40 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

That's just, like, your opinion, man

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My main issues with the film was more an issue of the different visions from multiple directors and the story obviously being rewritten for each movie. 

Knights of Ren where almost meaningless and their buildup was almost useless. This was also the issue with the old Boba Fett where it was more implied they did something but in the story they built this team up and it was amount to them following people and losing a fight to Kylo Ren. Maybe it will be touched upon in a future Disney+ show?

Rey being the daughter of Palpatine makes very little sense story wise. This is also my issue with the New harry potter story with Voldimort having a child. The issue is more with the character being depicted as very selfish and not willing to pass on wisdom to the next generation. It would have made more sense if she was some clone created to be a new vessel for his body. We know that Palpatine would have setup precautions if he would meet his demise. We also can see that he might be immortal due to what he learned from his master but his body was looking very old. This would explain happily in the lore if he had some clones setup that he could put his mind into allowing him to have a new host. Instead we get that she is some weird relation to him as an offspring. He did try to take over her after but it still doesnt explain the fling where 1 hot summer some girl got all steamy with a wrinkled old man who controls the senate.

With Rey being a Palpatine I do enjoy the story being about the Skywalker Family VS the Palpatine Family being the focus of all the Star Wars movies. it is a cool little nod that plays into the story as a whole. and that Rey being in the middle allows the force to be balanced also playing into "Bring balance to the force". 

The movie ignores the end of Last Jedi which established that there are now kids who are force sensitive? Does that mean the balance of the force is not being met? Rey brought balance by being good and Evil. Where the end of the original trilogy had imbalance as Luke Skywalker was light side. 

How did they make that fleet without the materials on the planet that is so inhospitable that storms would disrupt any launches of ships in and off the planet? They somehow build a fleet so large it was bigger than the First Orders/Empire. They had a hold on almost all the Galaxy and they had X amount of resources and troopers but this random planet NOBODY knows about has more ships and is able to fill in all of them with troopers? Did nobody question the First Order sneaking 1000's if not millions of people to this unknown planet without anyone in the first order even knowing? seems strange. 

Snoke was useless and had 0 explanation. He was very force sensitive and said to not be Sith. He was able to force choke people across the galaxy and was able to connect minds of 2 force users. But he dies in Last Jedi and thats it. Nothing but some random puppet. It could have been Jack from the food market. Not very well written if they knew Palpatine was the big last boss. 

General Hux being a secret agent is just silly and made to make his Hitler speech in force awakens seem pointless. He was one of the better characters being a young general who was willing to become a great leader and you could tell that as much as he wanted the power he was still young and inexperienced. But instead we got a WOAH HE IS A GOOD GUY PLEASE LIKE HIM HE DIED FOR THE GOOD GUYS. Ruining his character. Have him be a bad guy because he was a badguy. We do not need every character to have some long drawn out story. Its star wars there were many characters who were just bad or just good. They didnt need explanation or redemption. Focus on the main people and their journey. 

The movie was alright as a movie but when you add it into a 9 movie franchise it seems to be on the lower end of the movies IMO. The new trilogy seemed to try and pander to everyone with losing what made Star Wars. 

This is all my opinion of the movie and I still find it to be a good movie to watch. I just found that this being the END of the story of Star Wars that started so long ago as sort of a letdown. 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, dalekphalm said:

I just saw it. Quite enjoyed myself. It was a blast. 

Maybe not for everyone, but I thought it was an excellent conclusion given that Rian Johnson probably did indeed toss away what JJ had initially setup. 

Plus with how there are these two battling sub-fandoms, it was impossible to please everyone. One side thought TFA was too close to the originals and didn’t try new things. The other side didn’t like when TLJ did try new things. 

It’s okay if you don’t like those or this movie - but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will see again. 

^^^ Basically this. Blast to watch in theaters, and JJ did his best to wrap up the trilogy. TFA was close to the originals, but it makes sense. It was the first of a new and very ambitious trilogy, best to play it safe. It did also introduce a lot of new characters and massive amount of mystery boxes and hints and little secrets. I believe JJ would have fleshed them out and taken care of the majority of the loose ends, but Johnson came along and... we all know how TLJ went. Basically shit all over the nice foundation JJ had prepared with TFA and didn't really open or expound more on any of the mystery boxes. TRS wrapped that up as best it could, JJ worked his hardest to answer all the main questions (good lord they packed a lot in that movie), but some just couldn't fit in the runtime. IMO they answered most of them in a satisfying way. Characters made a lot more sensible decisions than the random feeling ones in TLJ. Got to see some incredibly cool imagery too, the hyperspace-hopping was especially awesome to watch. Also has a good explanation for why we never saw it before: it's horrifyingly dangerous and Poe is one of the few flyboys cocky enough to actually do it. Similar to the abuse of hyperspace in the Falcon when Solo flew it, both making the Kessel run, and deciding it was a good idea to exit hyperspace in-atmo. Massive gambles that payed off because they're cocky hero characters, but not so braindead easy that you question why people didn't just do that all the time. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

22 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

He did try to take over her after but it still doesnt explain the fling where 1 hot summer some girl got all steamy with a wrinkled old man who controls IS the senate.

I agree with almost everything you said, just had to fix one mistake.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Obviously you're free to feel however you want about that, but in the expanded canon the Sith still being a thing after ROTJ has been well established for a long time, even after Disney announced what was still "officially" canon and what wasn't. There were even a few comic books where Palpatine came back more or less as he does in the movie (it's clear JJ took inspiration from those, particularly for the world destroyer fleet and the fact that he "harvests" Jedi to complete his resurrection), though those are obviously no longer official canon.

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but in those comic books, Palps didn't have a huge fleet and almost regained control of the galaxy, did he? I guess my main problem with this movie is how irrelevant Anakin was. Like, if they made it so Anakin's force ghost killed Palpatine (instead of Rey), this movie would have been a 8-9/10 IMO. (Some more force ghosts of old Jedi in the ending would have been nice too)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

He's her grandfather - and there's plenty of opportunity for that to happen, given what we know. In Legends (Old EU), Palps had tons of sexual partners/"lovers" (not that he likely ever loved a single one of them, or is even capable of love).

Also, are we sure that Sheev even had a lover? He could have "made" his son with midiclorian manipulation using what Darth Plagueis taught him.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but in those comic books, Palps didn't have a huge fleet and almost regained control of the galaxy, did he? I guess my main problem with this movie is how irrelevant Anakin was. Like, if they made it so Anakin's force ghost killed Palpatine (instead of Rey), this movie would have been a 8-9/10 IMO. (Some more force ghosts of old Jedi in the ending would have been nice too)

Also, are we sure that Sheev even had a lover? He could have "made" his son with midiclorian manipulation using what Darth Plagueis taught him.

I'd like to think that Rey defeats him in the physical material world, then he turns into a force ghost to spite her, only for there to be a line of Jedi behind him as force ghosts smacking a baseball bat against their hands. That's an ending I'd pay to see.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If we're talking about Legends, yes. He did have a huge fleet over Byss - a planet in the Deep Core. He also did almost regain control of the galaxy. But he was defeated and Byss was destroyed, which took out most of his hidden fleet.

Seriously, Rise of Skywalker takes a lot of markers from the Dark Empire comic series.

We are not sure in Canon, but it's heavily implied. In Legends, he had multiple lovers.

And yes, he totally could have "created" offspring in a similar vein to Plageuis - but those aren't necessarily contradictory things. They could both be true.

14 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I'd like to think that Rey defeats him in the physical material world, then he turns into a force ghost to spite her, only for there to be a line of Jedi behind him as force ghosts smacking a baseball bat against their hands. That's an ending I'd pay to see.

I mean in that same movie, we saw that force ghosts could interact with the physical world. (Luke grabbed the lightsaber Rey threw)

The ending I would have liked is this:

Rey lets go of the lightsaber, but instead of Ben, Anakin takes it and strikes Palpatine (proving that he is the chosen one) while Luke's force ghost helps Ben fight the Knights of Ren (and thus making up for his previous mistake). 

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If we're talking about Legends, yes. He did have a huge fleet over Byss - a planet in the Deep Core. He also did almost regain control of the galaxy. But he was defeated and Byss was destroyed, which took out most of his hidden fleet.

Seriously, Rise of Skywalker takes a lot of markers from the Dark Empire comic series.

Interesting.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

We are not sure in Canon, but it's heavily implied.

I have a feeling that we'll get a "Palpatine: A Star Wars story" movie at some point, which will explain how he came back and the stuff about Rey. (I hope so anyway, lol)

The whole problem with the Prophecy is that it really makes no sense in a literal context.

The dark side can never be destroyed - even if you wipe out all dark side users from the galaxy, eventually someone who is force sensitive will use that ability for evil.

Furthermore, even if "current" sith are wiped out, someone could just find some sith ruins or stumble across some teachings and learn the ways of the sith even if they've been wiped out for centuries.

Anakin was never going to "bring balance" (meaning: wipe out all dark side) forever. If anyone thought that, then I'm sorry but that's not reasonable, and it would make for a boring Star Wars universe if it was true.

In Legends, the Sith came back multiple times after Palps. There was the One True Sith, there were the Sith that were marooned on a planet for 5000 years (From the Exar Kun era I believe), there were Palps secret apprentices (Lumiya and, if we choose to believe it, Vergere too), among other examples.

I mean in that same movie, we saw that force ghosts could interact with the physical world. (Luke grabbed the lightsaber Rey threw)

The ending I would have liked is this:

Rey lets go of the lightsaber, but instead of Ben, Anakin takes it and strikes Palpatine (proving that he is the chosen one) while Luke's force ghost helps Ben fight the Knights of Ren (and thus making up for his previous mistake). 

Interesting.

For some reason, I have a feeling that we'll get a "Palpatine: A Star Wars story" movie at some point, which will explain how he came back and the stuff about Rey. (I hope so anyway, lol)

I'm not sure if we'll get a movie, but I can guarantee we'll get a book and/or comics in the near future (2020 or 2021) filling in more of the back story. I'd be down for a Palps movie though.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The whole problem with the Prophecy is that it really makes no sense in a literal context.

The dark side can never be destroyed - even if you wipe out all dark side users from the galaxy, eventually someone who is force sensitive will use that ability for evil.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Anakin was supposed to destroy the Sith, not dark side users/the dark side. Hell, even some Jedi, like Mace Windu and Qui Gon used the dark side on occasions (AFAIK). Not all dark side users/evil force users are Sith.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Anakin was never going to "bring balance" (meaning: wipe out all dark side) forever. If anyone thought that, then I'm sorry but that's not reasonable, and it would make for a boring Star Wars universe if it was true.

I don't think so, 7 and 8 were OK and they didn't feature any Sith. Kylo Ren and Snoke were dark side users, but (AFAIK) they weren't Sith lords.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:47 AM, tech.guru said:

Oh there was planet destroying weapons on death star... lets put them on all our ships!

I mean, from the strategic point of view, this makes sense. Why have just one planet-destroying monolith when you can have literal hundreds, even thousands of them?

On 12/30/2019 at 11:47 AM, tech.guru said:

Recycled ideas, magnified to be ridiculous.

This basically sums up the entirety of the last 3 movies to me, and I didn't even see The Last Jedi.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!