FTP iis slow upload speeds

Flux Azreal
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

SFTP/SSH has a lot of overhead when transferring files. You won't be seeing full NIC utilization even if you're transferring over a LAN. If your ISP connection plan is 1000/1000 you'll want something other than SFTP to saturate it.

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to know alternatives. Perhaps SMB over an encrypted tunnel would be better than this.

I just made a ftp server using iis (60mbps download/ 10mbps upload) [on host] 

when i try uploading something to the ftp server (the network im uploading to has 1000 mbps up and down) 

and im barely getting 1mbps speeds?

SFTP/SSH has a lot of overhead when transferring files. You won't be seeing full NIC utilization even if you're transferring over a LAN. If your ISP connection plan is 1000/1000 you'll want something other than SFTP to saturate it.

Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to know alternatives. Perhaps SMB over an encrypted tunnel would be better than this.

You may need to increase your max transmissable unit, and buffer. Set the MTU to 1500 and the buffer slightly less. 

You can also use tcpoptimizer to see how large an MTU you can actually use. 1500 is usually the max. https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4