Removing quotes from people on ignore

flashiling

I have someone on ignore right now so if he/she comments on something it just says "you have chosen to ignore comments from ********** " but if someone quotes the person i have on ignore i still see the comment.

Not going to mention any names obviously but i just find it annoying that i can still see it if someone quotes then and seeing that message reminding me of the reason i put someone on ignore is just annoying

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Nothing can be done about it, just deal with that. What did that person do to you that are so irked about him? Disagreed with you on something?

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Nothing can be done about it, just deal with that. What did that person do to you that are so irked about him? Disagreed with you on something?

no the person didn't break any forum rules.

i just saw him/her quite often spewing sentences with no real value to the thread and derail the thread so it started going off topic.

Doesn't seem like he/she does it on purpose and i could have probably done it myself before but seeing it happen often when this person posts is just something i'd like to avoid if possible

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Nothing can be done about it, just deal with that.

You know this for fact? AFAIK this has not been suggested, so unless you know for a fact that IPS isn't going to change things...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

You can collapse quotes (clicking the arrow on the quote), I think OP wants them to collapse automatically when someone quotes a member that's in the ignore list.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You can collapse quotes (clicking the arrow on the quote), I think OP want them to collapse automatically when someone quotes a member that's in the ignore list.

this is a good suggestion that sounds easier to implement than what my head actually wanted

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

You can collapse quotes (clicking the arrow on the quote), I think OP want them to collapse automatically when someone quotes a member that's in the ignore list.

I understand what he wants, I also want that, but as far of now it's not possible, at least I think so.

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You know this for fact? AFAIK this has not been suggested, so unless you know for a fact that IPS isn't going to change things...

I didn't specify, sorry about that, I meant that it's not possible now, in future that might be possible.

9 minutes ago, flashiling said:

no the person didn't break any forum rules.

i just saw him/her quite often spewing sentences with no real value to the thread and derail the thread so it started going off topic.

Doesn't seem like he/she does it on purpose and i could have probably done it myself before but seeing it happen often when this person posts is just something i'd like to avoid if possible

Oh, I  got it then, there are a lot of people like that these days on the forum, good idea, I hope it can be implemented.

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I understand what he wants, I also want that, but as far of now it's not possible, at least I think so.

We gotta wait for Colonel Mortis to yay or nay the suggestion.

Just to throw my hat into the ring, I find the user blocking system on this forum to be rather useless. Presumably when you block someone, you don't want to see them at all. Much less see some text by their posts that says "you've blocked this user, would you like to see this post?" or even just showing you their content when someone else quotes it. Additionally, you may not want them to be able to see your content at all.

I don't know if it matters, but I'm in full support of this idea. I would even go one step further and say that I think the Big Blue Forum really got user blocking right and would suggest that the LTT forum try to emulate their user blocking policies as closely as is feasible. I think that any improvements in this area would reduce the amount of thread derailments and ad hominem arguments that take place on the forum, and therefore make forum moderation easier.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

That makes me wonder, if I have someone "ignored" do they still see what I post? I want the ability to outright block a user. I don't want them to know I exist, and vice-versa.

13 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Additionally, you may not want them to be able to see your content at all.

hmmm now that is getting into tricky territory!

22 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

hmmm now that is getting into tricky territory!

wont happen because people will just block mod's and staff so they cant see their posts

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Coming from someone who doesn't use the Ignore feature (and is probably on everyone's ignore list here), I'd like to see a large overhaul of it. Would make it more useful for people who actually use it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

wont happen because people will just block mod's and staff so they cant see their posts

there would obviously be some sort of special role that the mods/admins would get so they couldn't be blocked since their messages could be quite important

6 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

That makes me wonder, if I have someone "ignored" do they still see what I post? I want the ability to outright block a user. I don't want them to know I exist, and vice-versa.

3 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Ignore is ignore. Literally. It only hides ignored persons posts etc. Blocking doesn't sound very useful. If you aren't comfortable with your posts being public, don't post them.

Moderators can see everything reported. This means PMs are private to the point one of the participants reporting whole convo. We also don't have luxury of ignoring people we dislike. Personally I haven't ever seen need for such.

If there would be something going both ways, mods would have some kind of extra setting to make post visible to all. After all, we do use same accounts for posting as members.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

We also don't have luxury of ignoring people we dislike

also the point i tried to make with giving mods a special type of thread that everyone could see so it wouldn't matter if people had a moderator on ignore (or just remove the feature to ignore mod's)

3 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Just now, flashiling said:

also the point i tried to make with giving mods a special type of thread that everyone could see so it wouldn't matter if people had a moderator on ignore (or just remove the feature to ignore mod's)

Users are not able to block or ignore forum moderators & admin. If you visit my profile you will see the "Ignore user" button is missing.
If you try to ignore a moderator through the account settings > ignored user menu you will see the following error message:
image.png.303638753f21f2e6b59f2af15a80df9f.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Users are not able to block or ignore forum moderators & admin. If you visit my profile you will see the "Ignore user" button is missing.
If you try to ignore a moderator through the account settings > ignored user menu you will see the following error message:
image.png.303638753f21f2e6b59f2af15a80df9f.png

well then that possible problem is out of the picture already. Now i just see positives about my idea.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Blocking doesn't sound very useful. If you aren't comfortable with your posts being public, don't post them.

That's a weird view for a forum that has a history of stepping on free speech so that people can feel included to take.

I mean, I don't mean to say that there's any problem with that, it's just that the forum has gone to extremely great lengths to ensure that everyone feels safe, welcome, and included. A big part of that should be allowing the user to control the content that they see in a more restrictive way than the administrators/moderators can do.

For example (I won't name names) there is a user who, every time they comment on the same thread I do, makes ad hominem attacks (I'm sure I've made my fair share in return). After so many thread cleanings and post deletions because of interactions with this user, it would make great sense for one of us to just block the other. That only works when one side is effectively blocked from the other. For an example of the failing of this forums faulty blocking mechanism, I did once block the user. Unfortunately, the user was still allowed to see my comments, and I was still shown the users replies to me when they were quoted by other users. This user is relentless, even if I ignore the users replies and only make replies that quote or reference other users replies, this user will still quote me seemingly just to argue. This puts me in a situation where I have two choices: Cease my activity on that thread, or fall into the trap. It is easy to say "just ignore it", it's not nearly as easy to actually do it, especially when the user is using this strategy to, either wittingly or unwittingly, mislead people in technical subforums.

In the above instances, which are taken from real occurrences and have happened actually quite frequently, having an effective blocking mechanism would

• Increase my inclusion and enjoyment on the forum
  • Reduce moderation requirements due to reduced negative interactions
  • Increase the effectiveness of asking questions in technical sub-forums due to fewer thread derailments.

Clearly I'm not the only one having similar issues. There is at least one other user having similar experiences, the OP of this thread.

Having an effective blocking mechanism on the forum would essentially allow users to do some self-moderation of forum content, which would yield less negative content on the forum, and reduce the overall moderation requirements while increasing forum inclusion and enjoyment.

Beyond that, just as the forum has the right to remove or modify it's users content to increase the quality of content or reduce conflicts on the forum, each individual user should have the right to do the same for themselves, and allowing them that right could significantly decrease the amount of moderation that the forum is required to conduct to meet it's goals of user safety and inclusion.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

seems like this might be a problem for more users than i originally thought

3 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That's a weird view for a forum that has a history of stepping on free speech so that people can feel included to take.

For starters, this says that you don't understand what freedom of expressions means. I highly recommend that you stop using that as reasoning. It demeans everything that comes after, almost made me not to read further.

.... A big part of that should be allowing the user to control the content that they see in a more restrictive way than the administrators/moderators can do.

And this is what ignoring should do. It clearly has problems, as you point out in following. But that still is only single way to make others posts invisible to you, not make yours invisible to them. This forums is very different from Twitter and Facebook where I do understand use of blocking feature more.

.... Unfortunately, the user was still allowed to see my comments, and I was still shown the users replies to me when they were quoted by other users.

This is clear fault in ignoring system. If you ignore person, then system should hide everything from them. Including quotes in other persons posts. Maybe with message like "You have selected to ignore this content, click to show".

The blocking, as I see it, would in worst cases cripple discussion. Lets say new users who makes few mistakes and gets blocked by some users (knowing ppl on the forums and how they treat newcomers, I wouldn't be surprised). Later they come back with better attitude, only to find out that there's interesting discussion going on and majority of replies are "This user has blocked you" or just not showing those posts, making longer discussion very odd to read.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

"You have selected to ignore this content, click to show".

this happens with me but not when people quote him/her or if they quote me

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

this happens with me but not when people quote him/her or if they quote me

Yeah, meaning that system has problems. Like I said earlier, I haven't used that feature even before accepting moderator position. My view of the world is that I can just skip over, block my eyes and ears to ignore. I don't need some block of code for it. Same goes the other way around. If I'm not comfortable of people reading what I write, I don't post it publicly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah, meaning that system has problems. Like I said earlier, I haven't used that feature even before accepting moderator position. My view of the world is that I can just skip over, block my eyes and ears to ignore. I don't need some block of code for it. Same goes the other way around. If I'm not comfortable of people reading what I write, I don't post it publicly.

personally i don't care if the people i have on ignore can read what i write since i never call them out on their bs directly and maybe something i wrote can still help them.

i just don't want to see anything they do