Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus White VGA led - won't post

Thanks for the ideas on this thread. 

My problem: New pc working like a charm for 2 months. Two days ago I was playing NFS Heat and suddenly BSOD and after a couple of tries turning on the pc, the legendary white vga led appears...

• ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F
  • EVGA XC3 RTX 3080
  • Ryzen 3900x
  • 750w Corsair PSU

I think it is between the motherboard or the gpu. I bought a Gigabyte B550M and I will check if the problem is the motherboard. If not I will buy a cheap gpu and try that.

Edit: Gigabyte B550M arrived, everything installed. Still no video signal. Must be the gpu. I opened a support ticked to evga and see if I can get a RMA.

In the meantime I purchased a 35€ gpu to check if it's indeed the GPU. I will update when I receive it

Edit2: GPU 35€ arrived. Plugged in. Working perfect. So my EVGA 3080 is dead af... Tried different cables on PSU just to be sure, and nothing. Opened ticket support since one week and no answer from EVGA.... I just want to RMA this shitty GPU...

Edit3: New EVGA 3080 arrived, RMA actually worked pretty fast. It was a GPU problem. After plug in the new 3080, the pc started as always with zero problems

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this is still relevant but I had the same issue on a fresh new build. Luckily I solved it by removing disconnecting my HDD from the SATA port. This has to do with which PCIe slot you used with your M.2 drives. Some SATA ports will be disabled depending your M.2 installation. If anyone runs onto the same issue, try removing your HDD as well before RMAing your board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 5:52 PM, heqimi said:

Might be unrelated but I have the same motherboard with ryzen 3700X and Nvidia 1080ti and it wouldnt POST via displayport. It would post via HDMI though.

The solution was to update the firmware of GPU using this https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

You sir, whoever you are, you... Are a f.... NG genius. I've been struggling for 3 hours with a new 5900x x570-f combo and this is what worked!. Thank you so much!! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, GeoMak23 said:

Don't know if this is still relevant but I had the same issue on a fresh new build. Luckily I solved it by removing disconnecting my HDD from the SATA port. This has to do with which PCIe slot you used with your M.2 drives. Some SATA ports will be disabled depending your M.2 installation. If anyone runs onto the same issue, try removing your HDD as well before RMAing your board.

This post just saved me after a couple of hours of frustration when my ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING board was getting stuck on the white VGA LED and wasn't displaying any video.  I had installed an M.2 on the back side, but stuck in a bunch of older drives using the SATA ports.  When I disconnected those (I just disconnected them all), then the boot progressed to the green Boot LED and I was able to view the BIOS on the screen via the HDMI cable on my Radeon HD 6850 GPU.  Thank you!

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a little old but I just built a new rig w/ the TUF x570 Plus wifi, R9 5900X, 32GB Corsair 3600, EVGA 850 PSU, and my current EVGA 1080 FTW until I can get a 3080. It will not post w/ the 1080 but works just fine w/ my old GTX680. I completely went through and rewired everything thinking I missed something but it still wouldn't post till I found my old 680 GPU threw it in and boom it works fine. I updated the bios and everything else but I still can't boot w/ my 1080, why? I know it works, because I put it back in my current PC and it works flawlessly but then I put it back in the x570 TUF and instant white LED and no post. I emailed Asus yesterday, waiting for a reply. Is it possible the EVGA 1080 FTW isn't compatible but an old 680 does? 

• 5 weeks later...

3700x ASUS TUF X-570 Plus, 32gb G-skill Ripjaws ram 3600mhz 16cs. 

I've tried booting, rebooting with GPU, without GPU, with  HDMI in GPU, with DP in GPU, DP in Mobo, HDMI in mobo, all clearing CMOS between each.  I dread having to pull this thing apart as it took me 2.5 days to build it because I have nerve damage in my left hand to where I can't feel things like small screws etc... Now I not only get a white LED but a green one as well, it started with just the white LED being a problem all by itself.  

Anyone have suggestions or solutions or do I just gotta bite the bullet and RMA this thing back to ASUS... which I'm not sure will accomplish much because if this board has a widespread problem like this it might not be an issue with a new one too.  

Thanks in advance,

• 2 months later...

Hi, so same issue. Rog strix b550 WiFi. Swapped 1660 for zotac 3060. First time I put the card in it worked. Shutdown, next day it doesn't load. Played about swapping cards back and forth, powering off. Updating, flashing back bios. It seems I need to put the old card in, enable CSM and set all to legacy, but also set pci to Gen 4. I'm going to start a ticket with Asus about this as it's maddening and obviously a problem. So sick of seeing that white light. why is UEFI causing these sorts of problems!?! Not worth RMAing anything as it all works indepentantly. Just not together. Anyone had any permanent successes that don't involve a new motherboard!?! Seems a shade ridiculous.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:52 PM, heqimi said:

Might be unrelated but I have the same motherboard with ryzen 3700X and Nvidia 1080ti and it wouldnt POST via displayport. It would post via HDMI though.

The solution was to update the firmware of GPU using this https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Wow! This fixed my problem! Hahaha Thanks!!!!! 

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I am struggling with this issue as well.

Motherboard: Asus M570 Plus WIFI

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200

GPU: RTX 1060TI

I struggled with this for days.. Id boot, reset bios using pins, remove cmos battery, try different GPUS, try different PCI slots, try different memory slot combinations.. the works..

Nothing.. White VGA light...

Then I tried a HDMI cable and what do you know, it POSTED.. I suspect this has something to do with the Display Port protocol.. Food for thought...

On another note, I'll never buy another ASUS product. This is a well known issue with their motherboards which ASUS themselves are well aware of. Their solution is RMA and send back some refurbished crap.. That's unacceptable in my book. I bought a NEW motherboard and that's what I expect.

This is actually my second motherboard.. The first one had a chip that was desoldered from the board.. I had to send it back to amazon and get a new one. Now I'm presented with the VGA LED indicator. 

I explained to them that this really messed up not only my Christmas but my kids as well.. I worked hard to make sure she'd have all her parts on Christmas day.. spent hours putting it together only for it not to work, TWICE! I said I don't want this motherboard. its plagued with problems and that id be willing to pay the difference for a better product.. After all the crap i went through they were unwilling. 

I hope someone like Linus can bring this to light and hold them accountable for their shotty QC/Manufacturing/Engineering.

Regards,

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I also solved this unusual problem. I've been exclusively using HDMI connected to a Sharp TV the entire time. Tried booting with different VGAs = either white LED (no signal) or no error light = but still no signal. After much testing I came to the conclusion:
1) check + clean the PCI slot, the PINs here tend not to spring, stay connected
2) sufficiently fast LCD monitor - Philips 24" loaded much better than the TV (I admit, even with a longer HDMI cable).
3) BIOS - if the start was lucky ended, turn off FASTBOOT. Then also tests with version of BIOS. The last is not always the best. I left version 1004, datedfoto-mobil-20231112_1826412.jpg.2fdf42f0807a8d74e1c77699e0fe575d.jpg 8/13/2020, in the final.

Hope this helps someone, have a nice day, Hanusak.