Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus White VGA led - won't post

Asus Tuf gaming X570-plus mb w/ Ryzen 9 3900X
G.Skill 3200 2x16GB DDR4
AMD Radeon RX5700 8GB GDDR6 (Red Dragon PowerColor - if that matters)
EVGA 750 G5 Gold PS

all brand new components just started putting together and system won't post.  Stops at the white led - VGA.  GPU never spins up its fans, but since there isn't any output, I'm not sure if it would need.  I tried switching re-seating the GPU, moving to the 2nd slot.  No luck.  I tried switching to different power supply slots, but no change.  I don't have another motherboard or PC to test this GPU with...  (Everything else I own is a laptop, tablet, or SBC!).  Any thoughts on what to try next?  Not sure if I should declare the GPU dead and attempt to get it exchanged..??  Thanks for any ideas

36 minutes ago, bloody_fingers said:

Any thoughts on what to try next?  Not sure if I should declare the GPU dead and attempt to get it exchanged..??  Thanks for any ideas

without spare hardware its quite impossible to spot on the issue.

all you can do is to reset cmos, plug & unplug everything to fake the pc of hardware change

Thanks.  I tried to get it to post without the GPU in and it won't.  stays on the white vga led.  There is an HDMI connector on the back of the motherboard, but it won't seem to post with just that.  Since it never boots up, I can't really try much else.  I found someone with the same issue and removing the GPU and attempting to boot without it and then returning it worked for them, but not for me.  I guess I'm going to try to return the GPU and attempt with something else.  Shouldn't it post with just the onboard video though?  Is this a motherboard issue??

53 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Take out the gpu and see if it post.

It wouldn't post because if can't output video without the GPU

@bloody_fingers you are using the GPU ports and not motherboard correct?

Also be sure to quote us so we see responses

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It wouldn't post because if can't output video without the GPU

@bloody_fingers you are using the GPU ports and not motherboard correct?

Also be sure to quote us so we see responses

Thanks.  Yes, I tried using the HDMI and DP ports on the GPU.  I did try just with the motherboard too, but no luck in any of these attempts.  The motherboard manual states the GPU needs to be in the first slot if its the only one (which it is).  I did try the other slot but no help there.  I moved it back - still no luck.  I tried just using the HDMI out of the GPU, rather than DP but still nothing.  The CPU fan spins up, the led on the motherboard strobes(?) different colors, and a fan on the motherboard is working which suggests the motherboard is functional.  The memory led lights up for about 5 seconds or so then moves to cpu, which stays on for about 1-2 seconds, then it gets stuck on white.  It will eventually try again, starting with memory but still get stuck at the same white led.  I don't have my case yet (it seems to be lost in shipping) so I'm just doing a test build to ensure it all works...    Would the GPU fans spin at all on startup? (they don't)

34 minutes ago, bloody_fingers said:

Would the GPU fans spin at all on startup?

Usually no, zero RPM fan mode won't spin the fans until the GPU gets hot.

Hopefully you have a second GPU to test with, just in case. Perhaps a friend could lend one?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Usually no, zero RPM fan mode won't spin the fans until the GPU gets hot.

Hopefully you have a second GPU to test with, just in case. Perhaps a friend could lend one?

So I ordered a cheap $53 GPU on Amazon which should arrive on Wednesday.  Hopefully that will help indicate whether I need to return the GPU or the motherboard :)  

I'll update here when I find out more.  Thanks for your help!

As a follow up, I received the GeForce GT710 from Amazon today.  Popped it in and the system POSTS!!  Success!  So I'll just need to return the other GPU and get a replacement.  

Thanks everyone for your help!

On 12/16/2019 at 11:34 PM, bloody_fingers said:

The memory led lights up for about 5 seconds or so then moves to cpu, which stays on for about 1-2 seconds, then it gets stuck on white. 

Couldn't this indicate might be CPU issue?  Usually there are tried and tested speaker for the motherboard which has recognizable beeps for different errors, did the board come with one or just the LEDs?  If you can't fit a speaker i'd look into what that signifies if it gets stuck on CPU and reverts back to memory, i have no experience with that board but it should state something about troubleshooting with LED in Mobo manual

23 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Couldn't this indicate might be CPU issue?  Usually there are tried and tested speaker for the motherboard which has recognizable beeps for different errors, did the board come with one or just the LEDs?  If you can't fit a speaker i'd look into what that signifies if it gets stuck on CPU and reverts back to memory, i have no experience with that board but it should state something about troubleshooting with LED in Mobo manual

The replacement GPU allowed the system to post normally.  Given that, I'm pretty confident that the original GPU was DOA so I'm planning to send it back and get another.  I'll update once that happens to confirm that new replacement works (*fingers crossed*)

@bloody_fingers I'm having a very similar issue with the same motherboard, CPU and RAM. (Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus (wifi) + Ryzen 3900x)

I've tried removing and reseating all of the components, and still had the same problems. The white VGA LED goes on and remains on as well as the green BOOT LED. I do not have another GPU to test with, but I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with the GPU.

Let's hope that even though I'm using a different GPU (MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Ti), the issue is actually with the graphics and not with the Mobo.

Gonna put an update here:

Because of the VGA LED on my motherboard, I believed that my GPU, like @bloody_fingers was defective. Unfortunately, when I returned and replaced my GPU, I got the same result.

I've spoken with technical support from EVGA (my PSU), Nvidia (chipset on my GPU), B+H (retailer for my GPU).

Things I've attempted:

- Removing and reseating all components

- Power supply to GPU (two cables, one cable split)

- 2 and 1 stick of RAM, tried many different configurations in terms of which slots they were installed in, including the configurations recommended by the Asus Tuf gaming mobo manual, and others.

- Trying to boot the computer without the GPU installed (which didn't work because my CPU has no integrated graphics).

- Removed and reinserted the CMOS battery

- Tried with monitor plugged into HDMI and DisplayPort

- Tried multiple monitors

Ultimately, I think I'm gonna return the Asus tuf x570-plus w/ Wifi motherboard. Reason is that I've seen folks with similar issues using this motherboard online, including this post and others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/dzf2l1/no_booting_on_tuf_gaming_x570_plus_wifi/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ckh3gw/no_boot_on_x570_tuf_gaming_plus_wifi/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ck5vzm/asus_x570_tuf_wont_post/

Of course I would welcome any additional troubleshooting advice here. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to post my experience. (joined LTT just to post this)

My build:

R5 3600

flare x 3200c14 2x8gb

msi mech oc 4gb 5500xt

samsung 970 evo plus nvme

evga g3 750

and of course, the damn x570 tuf gaming plus (wi-fi)

I went through 2 of these things. The first one actually worked for a day, and then died while in use... every attempt to reboot failed and hung on the white led vga light. I have 3 GPUs I tried. the 5500xt (which I put in my old pc to use in the meantime... functions fine) , a R9 270 (was in old pc, functions fine) and an old GT610 I found around the house, (actually brand new, so tbh idk if its fine, but I assume it is)

I tried both x16 slots

I tried both DP and HDMI.

I tried clearing CMOS 

I tried removing 1 ram stick

I tried removing all ram, and the boot sequence gets stuck on the ram led, as expected

Then adding 1 stick it passes the ram test

cpu test always passes fast

then the damn white led 

So i RMA'ed the board. 

I just got my replacement in today and out of the box it did the same damn thing! It never posted once. 

So I'm getting a refund for store credit and am going to go with the Aorus Elite now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same thing, with Rog-Strix-x570 board.  White light.

You can't use the onboard HDMI/DP, as there is no onboard graphics with some of the AMD CPUs, including the 3900x  So not sure if the VGA light is referring to that or to some other error.

This was working for a number of days, then suddenly died.

I replaced every single component, except CPU, nothing.  I tried the both GPUs in another machine, and both work.

I then replaced the MB, as ASUS said I should RMA it, and it was exactly the same.

Without the BIOS beeps, I can't use that check if anything is happening, cos there's no onboard speaker.

Anyone got any further ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone figure out the problem here? 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:32 AM, Flavin said:

Did anyone figure out the problem here? 

I can boot with the following:
Change my vga (2080 super) for my old gtx 970. I entered the bios and in the CSM compatibility part I left the following configuration:
Launch CSM: enabled
Boot device control: Uefi and legacy
boot from network...: legacy only
boot from storage...: legacy only
boot from PCI-E...: legacy only

save and change vga

BIOS: 1405

Hi

No solution I am afraid. Just another frustrated user. I have an Asus Tuf Gaming x570 plus wifi with 3900x and 32gb ram. Water cooled. Was working great for a couple of weeks then sudden black screen and would not boot. Stuck at white vga led every time. All fans etc. running. All usual troubleshooting including clearing the bios failed to find the fault. The GPU (Gtx 1080) works fine in another pc. I cant get into the bios to fiddle with it. 

I contacted Asus who said to send the mobo back. I got another one today. Nearly the same issue. Initially it hung at the DRAM LED but after clearing the CMOS it is back to hanging at the VGA LED. When I rebuilt with the new mobo I checked all the pins on the CPU and they were fine. Before I RMAd the board I stuck in an old gtx 1060 which did not work.

I am pulling my hair out here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have heard people talk about upgrading the bios on a board without a working gpu or cpu but how the hell do you do that ?

Cheers

Jim

On 5/13/2020 at 11:49 PM, Jim Farrell said:

Hi

No solution I am afraid. Just another frustrated user. I have an Asus Tuf Gaming x570 plus wifi with 3900x and 32gb ram. Water cooled. Was working great for a couple of weeks then sudden black screen and would not boot. Stuck at white vga led every time. All fans etc. running. All usual troubleshooting including clearing the bios failed to find the fault. The GPU (Gtx 1080) works fine in another pc. I cant get into the bios to fiddle with it. 

I contacted Asus who said to send the mobo back. I got another one today. Nearly the same issue. Initially it hung at the DRAM LED but after clearing the CMOS it is back to hanging at the VGA LED. When I rebuilt with the new mobo I checked all the pins on the CPU and they were fine. Before I RMAd the board I stuck in an old gtx 1060 which did not work.

I am pulling my hair out here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have heard people talk about upgrading the bios on a board without a working gpu or cpu but how the hell do you do that ?

Cheers

Jim

Mines started doing the same thing since last night. Briefly worked with another GPU but then stuck on the white led with both GPUs now. Disconnected most things and still having the same problem...

Hi Guys,

Have the same. 2 days ago when my PC run correctly, I watched film and my computer lost connection with monitor and white led appeared on motherboard.

It's new PC, assembled 5 weeks ago and till last Wednesday everything worked great. I also have an Asus Tuf Gaming x570 plus with 3900x and 16gb ram. Water cooled. Graphic ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Dual OC. I didn't overclock anything

Till now I've checked all cables, pins and i tried to run PC without Graphic card, without SSD etc, removed RAM and plugged again - nothing happened.

I think it's a problem with MOBO because if the Graphic card would be damaged, without it, PC should run with integrated graphic but it's not - still the same white LED, but the rest seems work correct, fans etc.

What interesting, yesterday when I started to removing all this thing to reconnect, after second removal of graphic card and RAM, PC run as it should but only 10 minutes then the same issue.. 

I read that maybe BIOS should be updated but how, if it cannot be displayed? and It doesn't post of course because it stopped one step before > white LED on Mobo

I also tried to clear the CMOS and also removed battery from Mobo but it didn't help

Any ideas?

Hi guys, new here. Same problem with new build. Asus Tuf Gaming x-570 Plus Wifi, 3900x and 32 gb RAM. Using an EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 Super graphics. Everything worked perfectly for 2 days then the dreaded Q-LED white light burning brightly on bootup. Tried removing and replacing the graphics card. As other posters said it wouldn't even boot up with the internal graphics.

So, based on reports here, this is a motherboard issue and not an issue with the graphics card. I wonder if poster @SkeptisTrading has had any luck with the Elite board replacement.

Can't try updating the firmware of the GPU as another poster did for obvious reasons. I was using he Display Port connection at the time of failure.

I guess I need to RMA the Asus board and decide what to do for a replacement. This is my 4th build with an Asus motherboard and I've never had an issue before.

EDIT: SOLVED: OK, stupidity on my end. Yesterday, we moved the newly built computer from the family room workspace where it was working fine to the back office where it will live. When my wife plugged the monitor back it she did so in the motherboard DP port instead of the graphics card port. I reinstalled the GPU that I had pulled, used the correct port for the monitor and whadaya know, a perfect post. Whew. I was lucky that this was user error. Glad I caught that before I started requesting an RMA. I'm hoping now that the real issue discussed here doesn't raise its ugly head in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Jim Cole
Problem Solved

Anyone had any joy? It stopped for a week but it's reared its ugly head again...

Locked up whilst using it and white led happened again during boot. Swapped gpu, same error :(

hey, same here. Sometimes the system posts, sometimes it doesnt. When it posts, everything works properly.

Since there are no bios updates available, i went to the bios and disabled everything that I didnt need like SATA ports etc.

Still, it happens. White led, does not move forward, sometimes no matter how many reboots i do.

I dont believe this is a GPU issue because from all these posts I see radeon users, geforce users with different brands but all share 1 thing: an Asus X570 TUF motherboard so the issue is related with the motherboard.

1 hour ago, JonnyU said:

hey, same here. Sometimes the system posts, sometimes it doesnt. When it posts, everything works properly.

Since there are no bios updates available, i went to the bios and disabled everything that I didnt need like SATA ports etc.

Still, it happens. White led, does not move forward, sometimes no matter how many reboots i do.

I dont believe this is a GPU issue because from all these posts I see radeon users, geforce users with different brands but all share 1 thing: an Asus X570 TUF motherboard so the issue is related with the motherboard.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too. I've tried different GPUs, power supply and still the same problem, narrowed it down to motherboard.

RMA time!