Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is an Oculus GO worth it?

Go to solution Solved by trufret,

A Go is going to be more like a personal movie theater with some casual gaming options.

I like it for travel when you're stuck on a plane/train for hours and just want to escape. 

A Quest would give you fully tracked VR experience but its a little bulkier and pricier.

Hello world

I'm just wondering if at $130 if the oculus go (32gb) is worth it for someone with a $150 budget that wants to try out VR and really hasn't done much besides google cardboard.

I would not recommend any VR system that doesn't have full tracking with controllers. 

Try to get a Quest instead.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I would not recommend any VR system that doesn't have full tracking with controllers. 

Try to get a Quest instead.

oh yeah don't get me wrong, for gaming it's not the best. But for essentially a google cardboard + some refinements is what I'm looking for.

A Go is going to be more like a personal movie theater with some casual gaming options.

I like it for travel when you're stuck on a plane/train for hours and just want to escape. 

A Quest would give you fully tracked VR experience but its a little bulkier and pricier.

On 12/17/2019 at 8:26 AM, trufret said:

yup exactly what I'm looking for.

I have an original oculus (non dv kit) and it's great but comes with the caveat of needing more horsepower to run.  I'm not up to date on VR as I've barely used my rift as I've been waiting to finish my basement to have a dedicated place.  I do have my sensor's mounted to the ceiling where I am now so maybe I'll hook it up because I doubt I'll be finishing my basement any time soon.

The lesson being that outside in tracking bring's along other consideration's that could be a problem depending on your situation.