Switching from Intel/Nvidia to AMD - Should I reinstall

LewisSpring

Hello, My new PC is arriving tomorrow, and I'm switching from Team Blue and Green to Red. Can i use my existing install on my SSD, or should i start backing up and formatting?

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

While you may be able to get away with using your current install, I would reinstall since you're changing so much. I've had issues in the past switching from AMD to NVIDIA and vice versa where even after uninstalling graphics drivers, I would have GPU driver crashes that were fixed by a Windows reinstall. You could use a program that completely cleans all of the files like DDU, but honestly I would just start from clean to prevent potential troubleshooting. I've been able to use existing installs when changing CPU platforms (such as when I went from a 7700K to a 3600X), but even then I had some lingering oddities that were fixed by reinstalling.

Assuming you have a product key for Windows, you may have to do online activation or activation through their hotline, but it's simple and only requires entering some codes that Windows gives you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If you're just switching GPU vendors you should be fine. You may decide DDU-ing could avoid some potential issues but otherwise re-installing Windows should be entirely unnecessary.

1 minute ago, TheSLSAMG said:

While you may be able to get away with using your current install, I would reinstall since you're changing so much. I've had issues in the past switching from AMD to NVIDIA and vice versa where even after uninstalling graphics drivers, I would have GPU driver crashes that were fixed by a Windows reinstall. You could use a program that completely cleans all of the files like DDU, but honestly I would just start from clean to prevent potential troubleshooting.

Assuming you have a product key for Windows, you may have to do online activation or activation through their hotline, but it's simple and only requires entering some codes that Windows gives you.

I have the product key, and it (in theory) should be linked to my MS account.

Thanks!

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If you're just switching GPU vendors you should be fine. You may decide DDU-ing could avoid some potential issues but otherwise re-installing Windows should be entirely unnecessary.

I'm switching full systems, literally everything but storage, I assume it's a different case than just chucking the drives in?

I posted a seperate topic about this, 

but do you guys know how to see what was installed on my old install? I've got it connected with an adapter, but programs don't always install in the same place. Any ideas?

(i've also realised my steam library is slightly stranded too)

Just now, TheLewisS1 said:

I'm switching full systems, literally everything but storage, I assume it's a different case than just chucking the drives in?

Ah, if you're changing out CPU/Motherboard/etc Windows is likely to complain and say Windows is no longer activated (this may depend on your type of key). In which case a reinstall may be desirable. Sometimes Windows is fussy about full platform changes.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Ah, if you're changing out CPU/Motherboard/etc Windows is likely to complain and say Windows is no longer activated (this may depend on your type of key). In which case a reinstall may be desirable. Sometimes Windows is fussy about full platform changes.

Alrighty. Thankyou

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

1 minute ago, TheLewisS1 said:

Alrighty. Thankyou

On second thoughts @Windows7ge does that mean I could boot the old install up in the new system? Because that would help greatly trying to list all my programs etc.

1 hour ago, TheLewisS1 said:

On second thoughts @Windows7ge does that mean I could boot the old install up in the new system? Because that would help greatly trying to list all my programs etc.

You could. Windows may complain and may not be stable but it should let you. Enough to note down program names, etc.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

You could. Windows may complain and may not be stable but it should let you. Enough to note down program names, etc.

Awesome. Thanks a lot!