Intel Acquires AI Chip Maker Habana Labs for $2B

Eniqmatic

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2019/12/16/intel-acquires-habana-labs-for-2b

In a strategic move in its datacenter AI plans, Intel has announced that it will acquire Israeli chip startup Habana Labs for $2B. Intel had reaffirmed its plans to deliver its Nervana chips as recently as last month, but the acquisition of Habana likely signals that early lighthouse accounts preferred the startup’s approach over the 2nd attempt with Nervana. It is hard to imagine a scenario where the Nervana chips would play a significant role going forward, but Intel will understandably take a few months to explore its options.

Among the scores of startups readying hardware for AI, Habana Labs stands out as one of the first to deliver working hardware with impressive performance claims for both training and inference processing. Habana Labs launched its Goya chip for inference processing in September 2018, claiming roughly 3X performance advantage over NVIDIA with lower latency. The company subsequently announced its training chip, Gaudi in June 2019, claiming record performance and an integrated fabric based on industry standards to enable scaling to process very large AI models.

My thoughts: Seems like Intel is trying to finally combat NVIDIA in the AI space which it hasn't managed to do yet, NVIDIA has been pretty much unchallenged at this point. Be interesting to see if they can provide some competition within the next few years, competition is always good!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Interesting. News like this doesn't necessarily mean Intel's now going to be in the Gaming GPU market space any time soon though. (So any of you that were thinking it, dont)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I wish I wasn't so ignorant in AI hardware considerations. How do these dedicated solutions fit in the bigger picture, compared to the likes of nvidia tensor cores, or VNNI instructions as part of AVX-512 extensions? Not to mention Cerebras' wafer scale offering...

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Interesting. News like this doesn't necessarily mean Intel's now going to be in the Gaming GPU market space any time soon though. (So any of you that were thinking it, dont)

It's not necessarily an either-or thing. They could still do both in parallel assuming they get their fabs in line by the time they're due to hit market. If they remain in constraint, then I guess they'll follow the money.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't like that Intel is branching out into so many different markets because that might mean they will no longer put any focus into CPUs for PCs.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

9 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

I don't like that Intel is branching out into so many different markets because that might mean they will no longer put any focus into CPUs for PCs.

literally not even close to what will happen

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2019/12/16/intel-acquires-habana-labs-for-2b

Be interesting to see if they can provide some competition within the next few years, competition is always good!

Yeah especially if they don't get blown up in Palestine/Israel.. probably not the best place to make tech.

1 hour ago, Animal901 said:

Yeah especially if they don't get blown up in Palestine/Israel.. probably not the best place to make tech.

There's a lot of tech startups and R&D centers in Israel, especially around chip making, ai, and audio.

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

There's a lot of tech startups and R&D centers in Israel, especially around chip making, ai, and audio.

Yeah. Not a good place for any of that.

3 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

Whilst I'm not worried about any of it, if I was I would be more concerned about Intel becoming more of a monopoly in all tech spaces, they are not going to just shift focus.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Animal901 said:

4 hours ago, justpoet said:

Also there are a lot of security companies based out of Israel, not sure why!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

11 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

thats what their plan is

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

literally not even close to what will happen

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Whilst I'm not worried about any of it, if I was I would be more concerned about Intel becoming more of a monopoly in all tech spaces, they are not going to just shift focus.

they want 30% of all silicon tam

seems like they arent interested in holding their 90% on just cpus

think its a good thing considering cpu sales are declining

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69157/intel-ceo-bob-swan-interested-holding-90-cpu-market-share/index.html

9 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Yeah. Not a good place for any of that.

As if it's their fault that America likes to fight all over the globe xD.

On a serious note, israel has a lot of well trained computer scientist. Thanks to their mandatory army training that selects on their talent and puts them in a suitable role.

A lot of companies are eager to hire them once their service is over.

4 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

Also there are a lot of security companies based out of Israel, not sure why!

I have seen a documentary about this phenomenon. It's because of their mandatory service in the army. They get assigned a fitting role and receive training.

55 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

I have seen a documentary about this phenomenon. It's because of their mandatory service in the army. They get assigned a fitting role and receive training.

Ah sorry, I mean IT security firms, some of the best come from Israel!

5 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

I know I mean IT security as well. They get a lot of training in cyberwarfare and security if they have the profile for it.

Just now, LeSheen said:

I know I mean IT security as well. They get a lot of training in cyberwarfare and security if they have the profile for it.

Oh interesting! Thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, LeSheen said:

As if it's their fault that America likes to fight all over the globe xD.

On a serious note, israel has a lot of well trained computer scientist. Thanks to their mandatory army training that selects on their talent and puts them in a suitable role.

A lot of companies are eager to hire them once their service is over.

Palestine is Palestine.  Not america.

16 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

I guess you would have to be if you lived on stolen land.

It is unacceptable to have to pay a company with hazard duty. Probably why the new market prices are thru the roof.

9 hours ago, pas008 said:

they want 30% of all silicon tam

seems like they arent interested in holding their 90% on just cpus

This is what makes me think they will put less or little focus on PC CPUs.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica