Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best WiFi extender and WiFi adapter

Recently got Google Fiber and my powerline has bottleneck the internet to my PC significantly, I've looked into MoCa and tried it and it just didn't work for me. 

 

What is the best WiFi extender for a room with a PC and Xbox 

Best WIFI adapter for my PC.

 

Note: With the powerline I'm getting like 25 up and down, and with wifi (that is near router/modem maybe around 50 up and down) But if I test it around the router with wifi, 400+ up and down

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an access point. Wifi repeaters are janky and have shitty results

Ubiquiti has some AC's that work extremely well.

This is the wireless card I would get:

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-pce-ac55bt-b1-pci-express/p/N82E16833320333?Description=asus wireless card&cm_re=asus_wireless_card-_-33-320-333-_-Product

 

 

Is routing a cat cable through walls or vents not an option?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Get an access point. Wifi repeaters are janky and have shitty results

Ubiquiti has some AC's that work extremely well.

This is the wireless card I would get:

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-pce-ac55bt-b1-pci-express/p/N82E16833320333?Description=asus wireless card&cm_re=asus_wireless_card-_-33-320-333-_-Product

 

 

Is routing a cat cable through walls or vents not an option?

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_first_gen?hl=en-US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7P75w-e45gIVA77ACh3PqQmQEAQYASABEgIoOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds is this an access point device? Google gave me one of these for the main room and I remember them saying I can buy multiple for each room if I needed to 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tran said:

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_first_gen?hl=en-US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7P75w-e45gIVA77ACh3PqQmQEAQYASABEgIoOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds is this an access point device? Google gave me one of these for the main room and I remember them saying I can buy multiple for each room if I needed to 

Basically

If you got several of those you can easily set up a mesh network which can cover a fair bit of space.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: GTX 1080 || Memory: 16GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Noctua D15 || PSU: 750W EVGA G2 || Case: Define C

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Basically

If you got several of those you can easily set up a mesh network which can cover a fair bit of space.

Okay sounds good, I only need 1 for a room (2 in total), is there any downside to this using one of these pucks? I know I wont get the full 1000 up and down but do you think I can easily have a stable 400+ up and down 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What was wrong with MoCA? If you get the 2.1 adapters you should be able to get 1Gbps. I have some actiontec ones and they've been working fine for several years.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 98    Score: 1,022,270,732    Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.10.7 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

 

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

OS: unRAID 6.8.3

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

What was wrong with MoCA? If you get the 2.1 adapters you should be able to get 1Gbps. I have some actiontec ones and they've been working fine for several years.

I got MoCa today and the coax cables were just not lighting up (the light on the Moca box) and I tried everything and discovered that since I have DirectTV, it was gonna be complicated for it to work since DiretTV has some Deca adapter

 

 

 my whole post about it here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have dish, its not an issue if you wire things properly.

 

Get a tone and probe and go to your coax box and directly connect both of the lines that you want to use for MoCA together. That way they won't be wired together with the satellite and there won't be any interference between the systems.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 98    Score: 1,022,270,732    Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.10.7 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

 

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

OS: unRAID 6.8.3

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mesh network solutions work the best in my experience, I had one included through a promotion my ISP had. But Wi-Fi boosters/extenders that I have uses in the past have often made little improvement. They show good signal strength but the download/upload speeds are usually not much better. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

 

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

 

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

 

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

 

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

 

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura  

 

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

I have dish, its not an issue if you wire things properly.

 

Get a tone and probe and go to your coax box and directly connect both of the lines that you want to use for MoCA together. That way they won't be wired together with the satellite and there won't be any interference between the systems.

is there a video on youtube I can watch abouit this, I'm kinda lost/confused what I would have to do. 

Sorry I'm just confused and all because I read that Google Fiber can't have MoCa networking and then wiith the DirectTv thing just lost me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tran said:

Okay sounds good, I only need 1 for a room (2 in total), is there any downside to this using one of these pucks? I know I wont get the full 1000 up and down but do you think I can easily have a stable 400+ up and down 

The problem with most mesh or repeater setups is that they decrease your overall bandwidth in half or more because you end up using the same radio on the device to not only communicate with your system but also have it link up with the others.

 

The MikroTik Audience is a relatively new device that bypasses this restriction so you can get full bandwidth from 5GHz by using a second radio on a different frequency to mesh the units - you might consider looking at that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, Tran said:

I read that Google Fiber can't have MoCa networking

Should not be an issue. Because unless Google uses a Moca router like Verizon does, then it wont cause an issue, because Google most likely is converting the Fiber to Ethernet at the house. 

 

What @sazrocks is saying, is you isolate the coax that both adapters are using. Meaning they would not carry the DirectTV signal. The only issue with this, is if you need that Coax to give you TV as well, then the Moca adapters wont work. Because technically, you would take both coax cables off the DirectTV box and connec them together with a barrel connector. Essentially making just a longer coax cord with Moca on each end. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tran said:

is there a video on youtube I can watch abouit this, I'm kinda lost/confused what I would have to do. 

Sorry I'm just confused and all because I read that Google Fiber can't have MoCa networking and then wiith the DirectTv thing just lost me

NOTE: As @Donut417 mentioned above, this method will not work if you still want to have TV signal from either of the wall plates that you are using for MoCA as you will be disconnecting those particular wall plates from the satellite signal. However, most people don't have satellite receivers in more than maybe a couple rooms in their house so I consider it likely that you can still use this method.

 

Ok, so Coax cables are like ethernet cables, but there's only one wire in them. They work point to point. One end of then ends in the wall where you see a coax wall plate. The other end ends in a cable cabinet somewhere in your house, along with most/all of the other coax cables. From what I'm hearing, most or all of the coax cables in the box will be connected to something like one of these:

Spoiler

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.358d06be12bd5b3afecfcb83711813e4.jpg6651187_rd.jpg.924972b40fd75ae758e0c99c43532367.jpg

Find the cables labeled for the rooms that you want to connect (hopefully they are labeled, otherwise its trial and error with a lot of possibilities or you have to buy a cable tone and probe to identify the cables yourself), and unscrew them from the splitter. Next, you need to use a coupler to connect them together, like this:

Spoiler

coaxcoup-750x750.jpg.2a65404ecc14c5247308a6e842749e18.jpg

Once you have connected them, you should be able to use MoCA between the two rooms just fine.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 98    Score: 1,022,270,732    Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.10.7 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

 

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

OS: unRAID 6.8.3

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

 

Should not be an issue. Because unless Google uses a Moca router like Verizon does, then it wont cause an issue, because Google most likely is converting the Fiber to Ethernet at the house. 

 

What @sazrocks is saying, is you isolate the coax that both adapters are using. Meaning they would not carry the DirectTV signal. The only issue with this, is if you need that Coax to give you TV as well, then the Moca adapters wont work. Because technically, you would take both coax cables off the DirectTV box and connec them together with a barrel connector. Essentially making just a longer coax cord with Moca on each end. 

 

2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

NOTE: As @Donut417 mentioned above, this method will not work if you still want to have TV signal from either of the wall plates that you are using for MoCA as you will be disconnecting those particular wall plates from the satellite signal. However, most people don't have satellite receivers in more than maybe a couple rooms in their house so I consider it likely that you can still use this method.

 

Ok, so Coax cables are like ethernet cables, but there's only one wire in them. They work point to point. One end of then ends in the wall where you see a coax wall plate. The other end ends in a cable cabinet somewhere in your house, along with most/all of the other coax cables. From what I'm hearing, most or all of the coax cables in the box will be connected to something like one of these:

  Reveal hidden contents

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.358d06be12bd5b3afecfcb83711813e4.jpg6651187_rd.jpg.924972b40fd75ae758e0c99c43532367.jpg

Find the cables labeled for the rooms that you want to connect (hopefully they are labeled, otherwise its trial and error with a lot of possibilities or you have to buy a cable tone and probe to identify the cables yourself), and unscrew them from the splitter. Next, you need to use a coupler to connect them together, like this:

  Reveal hidden contents

coaxcoup-750x750.jpg.2a65404ecc14c5247308a6e842749e18.jpg

Once you have connected them, you should be able to use MoCA between the two rooms just fine.

Yeah this is exactly my problem, I need those TV as my parents want the TV so I'm pretty limited on what I can do. What I did hear from Google is that I can get another one of their pucks (Google Wifi is what theyre called) and pretty much have an acess point between two pucks in my house, and a plus with that is that the puck has ethernet within it. Idk how good it would do (if its gonna just be a powerline 2.0) but apparently I should be getting around 70% of my maximum upload and download (Google Fiber 1000) so at least 500 up and down. Way better then what I'm getting in this room atm 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tran said:

 

Yeah this is exactly my problem, I need those TV as my parents want the TV so I'm pretty limited on what I can do. What I did hear from Google is that I can get another one of their pucks (Google Wifi is what theyre called) and pretty much have an acess point between two pucks in my house, and a plus with that is that the puck has ethernet within it. Idk how good it would do (if its gonna just be a powerline 2.0) but apparently I should be getting around 70% of my maximum upload and download (Google Fiber 1000) so at least 500 up and down. Way better then what I'm getting in this room atm 

See this: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/1328100

 

This is normal for devices like the Google WiFi since they use the same radio to interlink to the others as they use to connect to the client device. The MikroTik Audience solves this by using a separate 5GHz radio for the interlink.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×