Gtx 1080

LIGTHIN

I have a rig with i5 4460 gtx 960 and is trying to upgrade my computer 

First I brought a second hand gtx 1080 8gb for only 350

And I'm wondering if I can test it on my current rig with a 450w power supply (HEXA+ 450) with the i5 4460

*Not planning to do nothing just to check if the gtx 1080 works*

Is this possible?

You should be able to boot just fine and see if it runs on the desktop, but don't open any 3D applications as that could either cause your system to shut down or it could cause hardware damage if your power supply is poorly made. It is still not the best idea though, but you could take the chance.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, Husky said:

You should be able to boot just fine and see if it runs on the desktop, but don't open any 3D applications as that could either cause your system to shut down or it could cause hardware damage if your power supply is poorly made. It is still not the best idea though, but you could take the chance.

Do I just change the gpu or do I need to uninstall the old drivers

1 minute ago, LIGTHIN said:

Do I just change the gpu or do I need to uninstall the old drivers

I am not sure how the drivers work with Nvidia cards but I think if you have the latest drivers installed, then it is a single package that supports that latest GPUs all the way down to the oldest GPUs that are still supported. You can try boot with the old drivers but if it does not like it then you might have to uninstall the old drivers first.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

It's not "only 350", that's a pretty standard if not high price (assuming you're talking about usd?)

22 minutes ago, LIGTHIN said:

And I'm wondering if I can test it on my current rig with a 450w power supply (HEXA+ 450) with the i5 4460

Is this possible?

you wont be able to do any benchmarks but you should get an image but just a little tip is could bottle neck a bit with that haswell cpu nothing significant tho 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

25 minutes ago, LIGTHIN said:

Is this possible?

you wont be able to do any benchmarks but you should get an image but just a little tip you could bottle neck a bit with that haswell cpu nothing significant tho 

(for some reason it posted it twice sorry about that)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: