best way to wipe my boot drive.

WoodyWoo

I've been looking and have seen a few ways, but im not sure of them. one is to use windows 10 itself to wipe it but it seems to only clean up the drive not remove everything including the operating system. the other way is to use an eternal program to destroy all the data, but ive never used such a thing before. anyone know another way?

4 minutes ago, WoodyWoo said:

I've been looking and have seen a few ways, but im not sure of them. one is to use windows 10 itself to wipe it but it seems to only clean up the drive not remove everything including the operating system. the other way is to use an eternal program to destroy all the data, but ive never used such a thing before. anyone know another way?

things you will need

#1 screwdriver

#2 your drive

steps:

1. take screwdriver and plunge it forcefully into the hardrive multiple times

2. dispose of hard drive at electronics re-cycling center 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

things you will need

#1 screwdriver

#2 your drive

steps:

1. take screwdriver and plunge it forcefully into the hardrive multiple times

2. dispose of hard drive at electronics re-cycling center 

ok i dont want to destroy it. im changing boot drives and want to clear everything form the old one so i can sell it

Just now, WoodyWoo said:

ok i dont want to destroy it. im changing boot drives and want to clear everything form the old one so i can sell it

If your drive is an SSD that supports Secure Erase (most do) then there are often UEFI BIOS utilities built into many motherboards that will securely erase the drive in a few seconds. You can also use a third party secure erase utility. If the drive is an HDD then you would need to use a special tool such as DBAN that will securely erase the drive bby writing over the entire disk.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

PROs

Will wipe a drive completely of all its data and you WILL NOT be able to recover it!

It uses military process so the process can not be reverse engineered

CONs

Will take literally hours if not DAYS to perform a complete sterilisation

The long process causes a heat build up and can damage the small chips on SSDs

Links

How...to use DBAN

Darik's Boot and Nuke

...other FREE data destruction software programs

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

You can just plug it in and use windows disk management to remove the partitions, including the OS partitions.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That would not make the existing data unrecoverable. Minitool partition manager has a wipe option, might be useful in moving stuff around too.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/15/2019 at 7:38 PM, Husky said:

If your drive is an SSD that supports Secure Erase (most do) then there are often UEFI BIOS utilities built into many motherboards that will securely erase the drive in a few seconds. You can also use a third party secure erase utility. If the drive is an HDD then you would need to use a special tool such as DBAN that will securely erase the drive bby writing over the entire disk.

How do I know if my B450 tomahawk supports it? I cant find anything online about it being supported.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @WoodyWoo

A secure erase feature is a program that your SSD manufacturer recommends to permanently delete sensitive data without compromising the functionality of the SSD.

Here is an example, the Toshiba OCZ utility can be used when Windows is running, although some functions require the drive to turn off i.e. reboot, for example, updating the SSD’s firmware. There is also a program that will run from a USB stick once you create it and make that USB the boot device.

SSD Utility Download

Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 7 only 64 bit OS *.zip file for the RD500/RC500 drives.

PC Bootable (Not for Macintosh) *.zip

If you do not know exactly what drive is installed in your machine you can run the portable version of Speccy and in the Piriform program's Main Window it should detail the drives installed with their brand, size, interface and respective model numbers displayed.

Piriform's Speccy - Standard installer

Alternatively, open a command prompt / Windows power shell and type

diskpart

Then press enter

list disk

Then press enter

select disk X

Where X is the SSD (it will be either Disk 0 or Disk 1 in your two disk machine).

Then press enter

detail disk

In the "type" description it should show NVMe if that is what you have installed.

Then press enter

Hope this helps ☮️

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).