Unable to reach BIOS after making a dumb mistake.

vexisnext

Hey guys, i was fiddling around in my BIOS trying to get my OS to boot from my SSD and ended up enabling MSI fast boot, which disables usb ports and cd drives (i think) and well...i am now unable to use my keyboard to enter BIOS again, rendering my pc useless. I read online that you can reset the BIOS settings by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes but i wanted to come here first before doing anything with my hardware. I appreciate any and all responses, Thank you. ~vex

You can either remove the CMOS, or unplug the SATA cable from the SSD, forcing the system to go into the bios instead of booting the OS partition.

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

Resetting CMOS is generally the go-to method for fixing mistakes like this.

Although, it may be possible to get into the BIOS if you disconnect your boot drive. You'll either be brought to a black page that says it cannot find a boot device or it will bring you to your BIOS.

Sometimes it will bring you to a black page and give you the option to enter the BIOS. You'll just have to test and see.

5 minutes ago, ethebigd said:

You can either remove the CMOS, or unplug the SATA cable from the SSD, forcing the system to go into the bios instead of booting the OS partition.

Well yeah i would get back into my BIOS but i would have no way to actually navigate it. My usb ports will still be disabled,no?

2 minutes ago, vexisnext said:

Well yeah i would get back into my BIOS but i would have no way to actually navigate it. My usb ports will still be disabled,no?

As far as I know, resetting the CMOS will reset the BIOS to defaults, therefore disabling fast boot and reenabling the usb ports.

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

3 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

As far as I know, resetting the CMOS will reset the BIOS to defaults, therefore disabling fast boot and reenabling the usb ports.

Yes! I had the exact same problem once on x79. Works the same nowerdays 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

28 minutes ago, ethebigd said:

Thanks to you and everyone else i got my babygirl up and running again. All i had to do was as you said. I appreciate it very much.

image.jpg

19 minutes ago, vexisnext said:

Thanks to you and everyone else i got my babygirl up and running again. All i had to do was as you said. I appreciate it very much.

Glad u got it sorted 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?