5700xt or 2070 super

Jordan_C21

This is a little bit different because I'm not considering just straight gaming. I know the 5700xt is close when overclocked to a 2070 super , but the 2070 super has quite a bit of OC headroom itself. Seen people push past the 2080. Right now I'm deciding between both gigabyte oc models of each brand, roughly $100-120 difference with some variation in mail in rebates. I have the money to go the extra mile. I'm not well educated on the workload and nvenc advantages to going with the 2070, although I'm about to start diving into programming/video editing/possibly some Photoshop, something in the professional computer department as I'm one semester away from picking community college tech classes. If anyone knows I'd like to know the professional advantages of nvidia otherwise I might just save some money and lose a few fps I guess. I am slightly interested in streaming and recording, not planning but I do like the opportunity.

If you use Adobe, Nvidia card will have the advantage.

If you use da Vinci Resolve, AMD card will have the advantage

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

If you use Adobe, Nvidia card will have the advantage.

If you use da Vinci Resolve, AMD card will have the advantage

The classes available to me are in Adobe sooo... 

So I used to use AMD GPU and would still but now I do some video rendering and the software only supports quickync or Nvenc and I think you’ll find most media software is written to work with either of those.  Unfortunately not as much support for AMD or I woulda probably stayed that route on the new cards, their driver just keep getting better and better than Nvidia.

Just now, Jesse221 said:

So I used to use AMD GPU and would still but now I do some video rendering and the software only supports quickync or Nvenc and I think you’ll find most media software is written to work with either of those.  Unfortunately not as much support for AMD or I woulda probably stayed that route on the new cards, their driver just keep getting better and better than Nvidia.

that makes sense. ive ALWAYS owned amd, from my hd 6850 to my rx 480. is nvidia a good value well no... but i have the money and it might have the features i could utilize. i just idk, overpaying for a 2070 kinda hurts but it has the feature set i want. $390 for a 5700xt is very very appealing, but nvenc is so strong and not gonna lie i actually do enjoy some ray tracing ( played on a friends 2070)

13 hours ago, Jordan_C21 said:

that makes sense. ive ALWAYS owned amd, from my hd 6850 to my rx 480. is nvidia a good value well no... but i have the money and it might have the features i could utilize. i just idk, overpaying for a 2070 kinda hurts but it has the feature set i want. $390 for a 5700xt is very very appealing, but nvenc is so strong and not gonna lie i actually do enjoy some ray tracing ( played on a friends 2070)

Yea I got the 2060 super and I can’t complain about the ray tracing in bf5 and new COD.  Maybe the next AMD GPU’s will use ray tracing and gain more market share and get more software devs to utilize their encoder.  Their new CPU’s are kicking butt again so that’s a positive and their software suite needs to get more attention, all in one package of monitoring, OCing, fan controls etc no relying on 3rd party for anything.  Until then the 2060s is a good buy

1 hour ago, Jesse221 said:

Yea I got the 2060 super and I can’t complain about the ray tracing in bf5 and new COD.  Maybe the next AMD GPU’s will use ray tracing and gain more market share and get more software devs to utilize their encoder.  Their new CPU’s are kicking butt again so that’s a positive and their software suite needs to get more attention, all in one package of monitoring, OCing, fan controls etc no relying on 3rd party for anything.  Until then the 2060s is a good buy

if i only had the 2060s and 5700xt as options id hands down go with the 5700xt, just me. but thats just how much you value the features, i can afford a 2070 super and the marginal fps boost is nice but im just considering if any of the new features would have any use for me