My Two bad choices in gpus

TLDNR:

new red dragon rx580 https://www.microcenter.com/product/479525/powercolor-red-dragon-radeon-rx-580-dual-fan-8gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card#photogroup-1

or used ROG strix vega64 off eBay for $335

So I have this old monitor.  It takes only dual-link  dviD.  Not sl dvi, not dvi 1080p, not dual-link dviI.  Dual link dviD and that only.  New cards cannot be connected to it.  It’s EOL.

I was convinced to upgrade to win10, and when I did all sorts of things started to go to hell.  It’s possible my 970 also took this opportunity to shit the bed.  I still can’t tell if it’s my OS or the card.

I don’t have any patience left for it though.  I got hunger problems elsewhere.  The computer is supposed to help me deal with them not be them.

anyway I’m sick of it.  I want this to be over.  I do not trust any card currently available to run the new games released for PS5/Scarlett but it would be nice if that happened.

So I got two choices and I don’t like either of em.  I can get a 580 8g which has the connector I think, and very possibly will only work until this summer, or I can get a used vega64 8g which also has the connector and also may only work until next summer but has a better chance of working later.  I also like the speed.  If I get the small card I will probably have to replace it along with the monitor, and if I get the big card I might too.  If the big card is big enough though I won’t have to replace anything though.

What should I do?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

just get a 5700 xt for 400 or a 1660 super for 220usd, that used discount of the vega 64 isn't enough.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

What are you talking about? Adapters exist so that you don't have to buy GPU's based on their outputs... so you can buy any GPU you like and then get the adapter to work with your monitor.... Also... Are you sure your 970 has died? Windows is likely the cause of your issues and not the card itself. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, xg32 said:

just get a 5700 xt for 400 or a 1660 super for 220usd, that used discount of the vega 64 isn't enough.

5700xt requires a new monitor, and my current is 30” 1440p 144hz.  I can do fine with 60hz, but the total is still near $700 and $350 of it is a card I might not be able to use in a year.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

What are you talking about? Adapters exist so that you don't have to buy GPU's based on their outputs... so you can buy any GPU you like and then get the adapter to work with your monitor.... Also... Are you sure your 970 has died? Windows is likely the cause of your issues and not the card itself. 

You’d think that.  I certainly did for two weeks trying to get one to work.  Turns out not for dual-link dviD.  The best shot is an “active” adaptor from star tech for $75 except that it flat out doesn’t seem to come in the correct gender.  Also for people it does work for it tends to have problems.

as for the card, no I’m not.  It has the obnoxious habit of turning my monitor off befor I can load the driver software though.  I can’t get the driver software onto the os to even find out.  I’ve been mucking about with it for four days.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You’d think that.  I certainly did for two weeks trying to get one to work.  Turns out not for dual-link dviD.  The best shot is an “active” adaptor from star tech for $75 except that it flat out doesn’t seem to come in the correct gender.  Also for people it does work for it tends to have problems.

as for the card, no I’m not.  It has the obnoxious habit of turning my monitor off befor I can load the driver software though.  I can’t get the driver software onto the os to even find out.  I’ve been mucking about with it for four days.

So let me get this straight... Is this the connector that you are looking to use for your monitor? 

Also... Windows can cause this issue. Try stopping Windows from automatically updating/installing drivers and you may have luck here. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

5 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

So let me get this straight... Is this the connector that you are looking to use for your monitor? 

Also... Windows can cause this issue. Try stopping Windows from automatically updating/installing drivers and you may have luck here. 

That is dual-link dviD male.  That is what plugs in to my monitor.  I can find female versions that go to display port.  The male ones have a usb dongle hanging off them and are reputed to be useless.  The only thing anyone has had any luck with is the startek one.  And it’s so far as I can find, the wrong gender.

already tried that I think but I can check again.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That is dual-link dviD male.  That is what plugs in to my monitor.  I can find female versions that go to display port.  The male ones have a usb dongle hanging off them and are reputed to be useless.  The only thing anyone has had any luck with is the startek one.  And it’s so far as I can find, the wrong gender.

already tried that I think but I can check again.

Alrighty... So just get something similar to this... HDMI from your GPU and then the DVI-D to your monitor... Literally took seconds to search for online... In fact I have one in use right now... 

HDMI is already digital and so is DVI-D so there is no need to find an active/powered cable, this is only needed if you are going from an analogue to digital signal. 

My Rig:

25 minutes ago, Caroline said:

How new? Mine is from 2005 and it works

It’s 2012ish.  The problem is it’s this weird as grey market Korean thing.  A crossover 30q5 pro.  Gigantic beast for its day, which was long ago.

So I've got the Red Dragon RX580, that of all things I bought used from PCPartSwap on Reddit, and it has been great. I've had it for nearly a year, with no issues. It works just as good as the day I got it, and it had even come from someone just upgrading a mining rig. So it had been under a bit of a workload. So I would recommend the Red Dragon Highly. I can't make any judgements based off of the ROG Strix as I have no experience with it, but the Red Dragon worked wonderfully.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Like what Brennan Price said you just need to find the right adaptor, which shouldn't be more then 8-15$ at worst, if you want a fool proof solution, are worried about whether you need DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI you could just buy a bi-directional cable that will work whether HDMI/DVI-D is at GPU or Monitor end,
like this https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Directional-Raspberry-Graphics-Nintendo/dp/B00B2HOJK2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=7MW4PNGKYH7H&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+bidirectional+cable&qid=1575927742&s=electronics&sprefix=dvi+to+hdmi+directio%2Celectronics%2C149&sr=1-4

I've had rx590 from power color that looked to share cooler arrangement with rx580s, i would recommend either as Powercolor seems to build their cards well, previously i had a ASUS that ran twice as load and way hotter.  Constantly 80C and making hurrican noises, it was the stupid one with a white tiger on the box

If you do plan to invest for the future, i replaced my rx590 with a rx5700 duel fan i picked up for only 320$ and would highly recommend that, the rx590 wasn't bad but it was still a night and day difference.  Its still HUGE improvement over 580s/590s and likewise far superior to any 1660, without being worse FPS per $ (not suffering from diminishing returns for money you spend like 400-500+ cards are.) Go for PowerColor, Sapphire, Gigabyte if you want a cooler quieter duel fan model. 

Bonus is if you need more performance later you can flash the bios (i did this, its not too difficult or risky so long as you use matching 5700xt bios for your 5700, same partner model design etc.)  Without running higher clocks or memory speed, and just turning up "Power Limit 50%" im within margins of actual 5700XTs for Timespy, and runs perfectly stable.  I actually got a better then majority 5700XT (that have 10% more shadering units) with OC but prefer stability at cost of maybe 2-4% the OC afforded me over what just flashing it and turning up power limit did.  Its a great card even if you don't like tinkering, made better by fact it has good route for people who do like tinkering. 

1 hour ago, Brennan Price said:

Alrighty... So just get something similar to this... HDMI from your GPU and then the DVI-D to your monitor... Literally took seconds to search for online... In fact I have one in use right now... 

HDMI is already digital and so is DVI-D so there is no need to find an active/powered cable, this is only needed if you are going from an analogue to digital signal. 

Yeah.  That doesn’t work either.  Tried it.  I can (or could) get the monitor to run in a super reduced resolution but not native.  In any case the 5700xt I tried all that with is long ago returned.

in other news I did get some 2017 era drivers installed along with turning on metered connection so windows couldn’t auto update.  Same problem.  I CAN get an old 1080p monitor to run in native resolution off hdmi.

39 minutes ago, Caroline said:

As Brennan Price said it's digital so what you need is an adapter or a cable not a converter like me (analog to digital)

619BNobM2iL._SL1500_.jpg

HDMI goes into the graphics card and DVI to the monitor

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY

Ordered one.  Tried it. Didn’t work.

I’m just going to go to microcenter and get the 580 card.  It will give me a 60% speed boost if it works.

i am hating the wintel system so much right now.

I’ve been messing with this garbage for days.  If Apple had a desktop mac worth a damn that could actually game I would drop 3 grand on it right now.  Sadly they don’t.  All they have is laptops shaped like desktops.

Just to talk on a few things.

Your monitor has DVI-D

DVI-D is a DVI connection without analog support that means it will not work with a VGA port. It should however work with a hdmi, dvi, dvi-d, or display port. The only downside being it will not carry audio.

So I am confused why you are having an issue unless I misunderstood something in your post.

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Just to talk on a few things.

Your monitor has DVI-D

DVI-D is a DVI connection without analog support that means it will not work with a VGA port. It should however work with a hdmi, dvi, dvi-d, or display port. The only downside being it will not carry audio.

So I am confused why you are having an issue unless I misunderstood something in your post.

Nope. Monitor is DUAL LINK dviD.  Specifically.  Won’t work on anything else at all.  Including apparently the rx580.  Got straight black screen from that, which is what happens if you plug the thing into regular dviD.  Or any of the multiple cables I’ve tried.  The 580 is going back to the store tomorrow.

its a rare monitor in the US but it’s not unique. There are a few people that have them.  Usually architectural firms it seems.  This is how I know about the “active” connectors.  They work sometimes but they’re finicky as hell.

Im betting this means it won’t work on Vega either.  It’s supposed to work on a straight 1080.  I need to find an old used one I guess.  Iirc it wasn’t quite worth it.  I could get a 5700xt and a 32” 1440p monitor for the same money.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Nope. Monitor is DUAL LINK dviD.  Specifically.  Won’t work on anything else at all.  Including apparently the rx580.  Got straight black screen from that, which is what happens if you plug the thing into regular dviD.  Or any of the multiple cables I’ve tried.  The 580 is going back to the store tomorrow.

its a rare monitor in the US but it’s not unique. There are a few people that have them.  Usually architectural firms it seems.  This is how I know about the “active” connectors.  They work sometimes but they’re finicky as hell.

Im betting this means it won’t work on Vega either.  It’s supposed to work on a straight 1080.  I need to find an old used one I guess.  Iirc it wasn’t quite worth it.  I could get a 5700xt and a 32” 1440p monitor for the same money.

I have a similar issue on an old 720p vizio tv my son uses for a monitor. Cannot use hdmi. Keep trying different analog cords. Gtx 760 can push it to 768p.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Then something is more than likely wrong with the monitor or it is claiming something that isn't true (it doesn't adhere to spec)

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Then something is more than likely wrong with the monitor or it is claiming something that isn't true (it doesn't adhere to spec)

This is not impossible.  *sigh*

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is not impossible.  *sigh*

Do you have a display port on that gpu? Could try a https://www.bestbuy.com/site/startech-com-displayport-adapter-black/1363436.p?skuId=1363436&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5TpzUIdacuSj4OIeNICa7JOvUCG67fcOZiAtFxsAKJZLJii_4VSmLKRoCVPEQAvD_BwE

For giggles. It isn't an active unit, but I have used them in the past for similar situations.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

That adaptor pictured is the same wrong gender adaptor as was mentioned earlier.  The one above it won’t work.  It’s not dual link at all.  It’s missing pins.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That adaptor pictured is the same wrong gender adaptor as was mentioned earlier.  The one above it won’t work.  It’s not dual link at all.  It’s missing pins.

That should be right though. It doesn't plug in to the monitor.

You plug the display port in to your gpu. Then you plug the dvi-d cable into the female dvi on that adapter.

Your dvi cable should be male to male. And that connector is female and your monitor is female.

If your cable doesn't look like this one then that is part or your problem.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a7190904?mkwid=sCTwEMQv0&pcrid=157252457753&pdv=m&product=A7190904&pgrid=36445201419&ptaid=pla-313021375092&VEN1=sCTwEMQv0~157252457753~901pdb6671~m~~A7190904~36445201419~pla-313021375092&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230980731501410&gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5TpWKJBMwnmim2VeSevHwpn3xQ6M_EJuArhfvMIol-bDkDVl8J35qMxoCk3IQAvD_BwE

Also just to point something out the only time you need an active adapter is when the gpu doesn't support analog on a monitor that doesn't support digital.

The alternative could be your monitor is actually dvi-a which would explain the problem 

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

That should be right though. It doesn't plug in to the monitor.

You plug the display port in to your gpu. Then you plug the dvi-d cable into the female dvi on that adapter.

Your dvi cable should be male to male. And that connector is female and your monitor is female.

If your cable doesn't look like this one then that is part or your problem.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a7190904?mkwid=sCTwEMQv0&pcrid=157252457753&pdv=m&product=A7190904&pgrid=36445201419&ptaid=pla-313021375092&VEN1=sCTwEMQv0~157252457753~901pdb6671~m~~A7190904~36445201419~pla-313021375092&dgc=st&dgseg=dhs&acd=1230980731501410&gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5TpWKJBMwnmim2VeSevHwpn3xQ6M_EJuArhfvMIol-bDkDVl8J35qMxoCk3IQAvD_BwE

Cable does look like that one.  The plugging the  adaptor into the gpu had not occurred to me.  Brain fart.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Cable does look like that one.  The plugging the  adaptor into the gpu had not occurred to me.  Brain fart.

For reference

Btw do you have the monitor model number. They would be one with a dvi-I dual port, but only support an analog connection. If you're has the 4 extra points over the long flat piece then I am betting your monitor only supports analog connections and is just using the standard dvi-i dual link female connector.

m5Ktn.png

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

For reference

Btw do you have the monitor model number. They would be one with a dvi-I dual port, but only support an analog connection. If you're has the 4 extra points over the long flat piece then I am betting your monitor only supports analog connections and is just using the standard dvi-i dual link female connector.

m5Ktn.png

I am aware.  One problem with the pin/port thing though is not all things that have the dual link port are actually dual link.  Apparently some people making single link stuff use dual link ports simply because it’s cheaper