Linus Tech Tips collecting and using personal information?

Justin_

Hey guys. I really don't know what's going on hear (would love to hear an official response) but I was digging through Facebook and came across this page about advertising that seems to suggest that LMG has some how collected personal information and is using it for advertising purposes. this is just a random page on Facebook and like any other page there's no real details about what's going on, but the description is pretty suggestive.

Screenshot_20191209-021113.thumb.png.398e37311d7567631639f51a1859dea0.png

Screenshot_20191209-021126.thumb.png.b386d919357495766d69d3b4a2faa6c9.png

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Facebook is collecting your information and using it to serve you targeted ads. Some of those ads came from LTT. At least, that's what this sounds like.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you're using facebook and you're concerned about LTT collecting personal info?

Not really. I'm just curious about the potential of it happening without them being open about it. Doesn't seem like something they would do. At the same time I'm doubting Facebook just as much, their descriptions are never very good on anything.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

27 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Hey guys. I really don't know what's going on hear (would love to hear an official response) but I was digging through Facebook and came across this page about advertising that seems to suggest that LMG has some how collected personal information and is using it for advertising purposes. this is just a random page on Facebook and like any other page there's no real details about what's going on, but the description is pretty suggestive.

Screenshot_20191209-021113.thumb.png.398e37311d7567631639f51a1859dea0.png

Screenshot_20191209-021126.thumb.png.b386d919357495766d69d3b4a2faa6c9.png

First it's not some random page, this information is provided to you by Facebook, second as far as I understand, they didn't collected or uploaded your data, they used the data already available on Facebook to run ads.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

17 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Not really. I'm just curious about the potential of it happening without them being open about it. Doesn't seem like something they would do. At the same time I'm doubting Facebook just as much, their descriptions are never very good on anything.

It literally says in the privacy policy of the forum that they have the right to take all your personal information.

How is that not being open?

Do you also need to have a huge popup in the middle of your face for you to notice?

Just like in literally every other terms of service agreement of every website or browser you use.

If you actually cared about your data you wouldn't be using the internet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven聽 聽minimalist white and black PC聽 聽 聽Old S340 build log "White Heaven"聽 聽 聽 聽聽The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log聽 聽 聽 聽 Project AntiRoll (prototype)聽 聽 聽 聽 Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X聽|聽AMD Vega Frontier Edition聽|聽ASUS X570 Pro WS聽|聽Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB聽|聽NZXT H500聽|聽Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700聽|聽Custom loop聽|聽Coolermaster SK630 White聽|聽Logitech MX Master 2S聽|Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB聽|Samsung 58" 4k TV|Scarlett 2i4|2x AT2020

If you have liked any content by FB site, they will use that for personalized advertising. This is why you don't like random giveaway pages and posts. That's most basic way to give out your public information.

LTT is most likely just pushing their posts up front.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Justin_ said:

Doubt Facebook more. 聽Doubt it a lot more. 聽Doubt google even more than that.

Not a pro, not even very good. 聽I鈥檓 just old and have time currently. 聽Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

companies can hire facebook for extended help

that is what Trump did for the election. i remember watching a documentary show on it on netflix, targeted ads, specific ads, all different kinds of ads to elicit a response, and sometimes they had the same content of an ad yet changed its looks, to appeal to certain demographics. all quite common practices on facebooks side.

facebook has a mountain of information for sale to companies!

which by the way, linus will never admit to using facebook services (as mentioned), but who really knows right!