True value of a NAS??

At one time, I was hot to get a NAS device for my home network.  Nothing professional just my stuff, probably a Synology product, or similar. But then I heard compelling arguments that stopped me.

1) If the box itself fails (not the drives),  your data is still just as gone until you get the box replaced due to some of the proprietary raid'ish solutions offered by some of these products. (Maybe not even then.) You need to back up your data elsewhere, in case that happens.  

2) If you use a backup PC with multiple drives and "standard RAID implementations" {huge gain of salt}, the data on the drives is at least recoverable once the failed hardware is replaced.

I opted to forgo any decision and stick with external USB storage hung off my router, accessible over the home network. I admit not perfect.  I'm sure there is older data on the backup, not present elsewhere on the network. But that would be the case with a NAS also. I thought, why have a NAS if you need to back up to a third location anyway?  (Oh, and I get the reasoning to having an offsite backup, in case the house burns down. I am using cloud storage for everything that needs an off-site backup.)

Your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, kris44dad said:

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't imagine #1 is anything to worry about. Maybe it was in the past, but many of the big NAS-manufacturers seem to let you take this disks and just chuck them in another box if you were e.g. upgrading the box to a newer model nowadays, all without any special hassle, so replacing a failed box should work exactly the same.

Besides, Best Practices(TM) states that you should have a third copy of all the data anyways, so whether the box can just be replaced as-is or not shouldn't matter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

We use nas at work coz it services many devices and we use more data than can fit on one disk. I have no idea why anyone would use an Enterprise solution at home. I'm using Intel nuc as a router and nextcloud server for our phones. I don't need more than that

53 minutes ago, Hugh54321 said:

I have no idea why anyone would use an Enterprise solution at home.

What do you mean? NAS-boxes are not an enterprise-solution.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

22 hours ago, kris44dad said:

1) If the box itself fails (not the drives),  your data is still just as gone until you get the box replaced due to some of the proprietary raid'ish solutions offered by some of these products. (Maybe not even then.) You need to back up your data elsewhere, in case that happens.  

2) If you use a backup PC with multiple drives and "standard RAID implementations" {huge gain of salt}, the data on the drives is at least recoverable once the failed hardware is replaced.

I've got a QNAP and I pulled drives out that were in a RAID, threw them back into the enclosure all mixed up and QNAP detected the drives, the RAID, and all my data was there and accessible. I know others who've had their enclosure fail, pull out the disks and throw them into another enclosure and had the same experience with no data loss.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Same with freenas, have moved drives to new hardware, and just had the freenas OS say it detected that there was existing data and imported very quickly and with no problems.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

With Unraid you don't even have to plug them in to something with Unraid, because no file is striped. You don't get more speed tho....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The purpose of a NAS is that it can handle more than one drive, the files are accessible from anywhere in the network, and many users can access it at any time. If you don't need 24/7 operation, and just occasionally need the files, your solution is perfectly ok. 

Personally I use my NAS more than file sharing in the local network. It runs backups via Syncthing, a Plex server for 4K streaming to the living room tv, a Nextcloud server for large file sharing to other people, a torrent client of course.

Whileit's cool and everything to have a NAS, but you're right, not everyone need to have one. 

MSI GT62VR Laptop  // i7-6700HQ & GTX1070 & 16GB RAM//

Studying Software Information Technology at Hungary. 

On 12/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, Mihle said:

With Unraid you don't even have to plug them in to something with Unraid, because no file is striped. You don't get more speed tho....

What was the file system you used, in this case? Are there certain file systems you should use [or not] to insure recovery, even if you must recover with 'dissimilar' hardware? Also, is Unraid compatable with UPS units that send a signal (probably over USB) to allow a graceful shutdown? I would likely only use a UPS that has enough capacity for a shutdown, not one of the larger ones. How does Unraid handle a power outage, assuming the drives are not being actively written to at the time of the outage?

On 12/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, kris44dad said:

What was the file system you used, in this case? Are there certain file systems you should use [or not] to insure recovery, even if you must recover with 'dissimilar' hardware? Also, is Unraid compatable with UPS units that send a signal (probably over USB) to allow a graceful shutdown? I would likely only use a UPS that has enough capacity for a shutdown, not one of the larger ones. How does Unraid handle a power outage, assuming the drives are not being actively written to at the time of the outage?

the File system is xfs or btrfs but I have experience with that my ups is USB and integrates with unRAID just fine have had several outages and no issues or data loss

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 6.03.06 PM.png

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410