Buy Intel 660p 2TB or Samsung 870 Evo 1TB Nvme for gaming

celpas

My budget only allows for between these 2. I have heard the Intel drive wears out faster but my use case is only gaming. Will the Intel get the job done or should I go Samsung?

2 minutes ago, celpas said:

My budget only allows for between these 2. I have heard the Intel drive wears out faster but my use case is only gaming. Will the Intel get the job done or should I go Samsung?

The Intel does wear out faster, but it's a relative term in that I believe Intel offers a 5 year warranty on it, which is plenty.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The Intel does wear out faster, but it's a relative term in that I believe Intel offers a 5 year warranty on it, which is plenty.

So should I get it over the 1TB Samsung Evo as I only intend to game on it? With games like modern warfare and red dead requiring 300GB of space I want a bigger drive but if it’s a slower drive in real world usage I am ready to adjust a bit. 

5 minutes ago, celpas said:

So should I get it over the 1TB Samsung Evo as I only intend to game on it? With games like modern warfare and red dead requiring 300GB of space I want a bigger drive but if it’s a slower drive in real world usage I am ready to adjust a bit. 

Space is certainly a prime consideration and the speed difference you are unlikely to notice.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Intel is using QLC. From the reviews I saw on youtube it looks like QLC is only good for gaming. Your data doesn't get over-written much in gmaing so the negatives of QLC shouldnt be noticed. I have two intel 660P. I have not had it very long. I just did a backup with clonezilla last week, from one intel to another, and it took about one hour to do around half a terabyte, if that means anything to you.

Game storage is more about read performance and the Intel is fine there. To wear it out before warranty you'd have to write 200GB a day, every day. You might write a lot when first setting up, but after that writes are much less. You'd probably have to spend more time downloading games than playing them to wear it out.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible