Uncapped FPS Games Only Using Half of Computers Power

So I'm just a but ignorant on this topic. I just finished upgrading my pretty old computer (Ivy Lake upgraded to Coffee Lake, like 30 minutes ago I finished and booted it), and I am wondering why games with high settings and uncapped framerates don't pull all the available resources. The i5 9600K sits around half in most games and the GTX 1080 barely reaches half. If the framerates are uncapped, shouldn't the GPU at least be putting out more frames?

2 minutes ago, Lunar Evolution said:

So I'm just a but ignorant on this topic. I just finished upgrading my pretty old computer (Ivy Lake upgraded to Coffee Lake, like 30 minutes ago I finished and booted it), and I am wondering why games with high settings and uncapped framerates don't pull all the available resources. The i5 9600K sits around half in most games and the GTX 1080 barely reaches half. If the framerates are uncapped, shouldn't the GPU at least be putting out more frames?

If the game can't leverage all cores, it could still be hitting a CPU limitation despite showing less than 100% CPU utilization.

Depending on the game, even a 9600k with three to four cores fully tapped out may not fully load a GPU like a 1080.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

If the game can't leverage all cores, it could still be hitting a CPU limitation despite showing less than 100% CPU utilization.

Depending on the game, even a 9600k with three to four cores fully tapped out may not fully load a GPU like a 1080.

Ah right, Hadn't even thought of that. So, on the new Modern Warfare for example, which seems to utilize all 6 cores, the bottleneck still seems to come from the CPU. I wasn't reall planning on overclocking as I figured the current gen CPU's would handle these sorts of games alright at base clocks. However, seeing that it's still bottle necked by the CPU despite no core ever going above 50 degrees Celsius, I guess I should be overclocking?

5 minutes ago, Lunar Evolution said:

Ah right, Hadn't even thought of that. So, on the new Modern Warfare for example, which seems to utilize all 6 cores, the bottleneck still seems to come from the CPU. I wasn't reall planning on overclocking as I figured the current gen CPU's would handle these sorts of games alright at base clocks. However, seeing that it's still bottle necked by the CPU despite no core ever going above 50 degrees Celsius, I guess I should be overclocking?

It's possible, although in modern AAA games I would wager they will use up for CPU than 50% of a 9600k at 1080p.

What is the frequency while playing

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

It's possible.

What is the frequency while playing

Task manager says right at 4.3 GHz in the menus, at like 70% load. Meanwhile the 1080 is sitting around 15% usage.

1 minute ago, Lunar Evolution said:

Task manager says right at 4.3 GHz in the menus, at like 70% load. Meanwhile the 1080 is sitting around 15% usage.

Are you sure you're plugged it the gpu?

That's like....desktop level utilization

Edit: in menus. What about gameplay

Are you sure you're plugged it the gpu?

That's like....desktop level utilization

Yeah I'm sure. Once its in a game it will range from 25-50% while CPU is pretty much maxed out.

Honestly after upgrade frames are occasionally better, like 80s instead of 60s, but also occasionally can't get much past 40.

2 minutes ago, Lunar Evolution said:

Yeah I'm sure. Once its in a game it will range from 25-50% while CPU is pretty much maxed out.

Honestly after upgrade frames are occasionally better, like 80s instead of 60s, but also occasionally can't get much past 40.

If CPU is maxed out, then it's CPU limited. Means the gpu has more to give but the CPU can't.

Overclocking the CPU can help.

Increasing resolution cis harder on the gpu and it may then be gpu limited. I wouldn't expect more frames, just more GPU utilization.