HP Probook 450 G1 Processor Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Selle,

4702MQ will work no issue, but the 4910MQ has a 47w tdp, 10w higher then the 4702MQ, this might work, but no garanti. Cooling and mb vrm might not hadle it, if it even boots, as this has never been in the 450 G1 from factory

I use HP Probook 450 G1 laptop. It's quite old now, but served me so well and I love it so much. So, I want to upgrade it just to show my love ?.

I have attached my current processor and motherboard details. The mobo is equipped with Intel 8 series HM87 mobile chipset (Click for Spec). My current processor is 4th gen i5 and comes with 4600 integrated graphics. Also the chipset spec says it supports intel 4th gen processors. So, will it support any 4th gen mobile core processors?

To be more specific, I want to install one of these https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/75023/4th-generation-intel-core-i7-processors.html

Maybe the 2nd from the top one. So, kindly enlighten me with your knowledge, experience, advice and tips.

P.S. This laptop has another version that runs on i7 4702MQ. That's why the idea came into my mind.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

It might or might not IF and only if, that laptop even has a removable processor and it is not soldered to the motherboard as 95% of laptop CPUs are.

First find out if it is even swappable in the first place before worrying about what to swap it to.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

It might or might not IF and only if, that laptop even has a removable processor and it is not soldered to the motherboard as 95% of laptop CPUs are.

First find out if it is even swappable in the first place before worrying about what to swap it to.

It is

Capture.PNG

4702MQ will work no issue, but the 4910MQ has a 47w tdp, 10w higher then the 4702MQ, this might work, but no garanti. Cooling and mb vrm might not hadle it, if it even boots, as this has never been in the 450 G1 from factory

• 6 months later...

Recently I upgraded my HP probook 450 g1 that came with an i5 4200m to an i7 4810mq and it works fine

My bios version is L74 ver 01.49

1 hour ago, Hwstc said:

Recently I upgraded my HP probook 450 g1 that came with an i5 4200m to an i7 4810mq and it works fine

My bios version is L74 ver 01.49

No problems at all