(edit: CES) Two arms are better than one - Seagate release dual actuator HDD for Microsoft

williamcll

Update: the drives are demonstrated at CES on their Lyve Drive platform: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15358/seagate-demonstrates-hamr-and-dualactuator-hard-drives-in-the-lyve-drive-mobile-system

lms-00.png

image.thumb.png.a1485f9eb84b8fa4df960ee3f11589a1.png

Multi-actuators have been one of the methods for Hard disks to catch up to SSD's performance, Seagate demonstrated it a year back and now it is finally on production for enterprise use.

Seagate has a new HDD that leverages its MACH.2 multi-actuator technology, the Exos 2X14. While the technology was announced two years ago with the promise of doubling throughput, Seagate, along with its customer Microsoft, are able to show results of the technology and its performance breakthroughs. The technology is beneficial to applications such as content delivery networks (CDNs), video streaming, mail servers, backup/shuttle services, Hadoop, and cloud applications and is being tested for data center deployment now. 

StorageReview-Seagate-Multi-Actuator-tec

As we said at the initial announcement, Seagate’s solution to this is simple enough; if the number of actuators limit performance, add more. For its first generation of the new product, Seagate will be adding one actuator for two total on a single pivot point. According to the company, half the drive’s recording heads will operate together as a unit, while the other half will operate independently as a separate unit. This enables a hard drive to double its performance while maintaining the same capacity as that of a single actuator drive.

The MACH.2 technology should also prevent something referred to as stranded capacity. In a nutshell, the capacity of HDDs is increasing faster than the drives ability to transfer the data. The workaround has been to put less data on the drives to hit the maximum throughputs, thus “stranding” capacity. MACH.2 can solve this issue. An example that Seagate stated was a data center can install a 14TB dual-actuator drive in each slot. To the application, it looks very similar to the high throughput provided by two 7TB drives — but it fits into a single slot.

Microsoft has been a close collaborative partner during the development of MACH.2 multi-actuator technology. Microsoft’s main goal is to leverage the technology to maintain the IOPS required for some of Microsoft’s cloud services including Azure and the Microsoft Exchange Online email service, while increasing available storage capacity per data-center slot. Microsoft stated that it has completed its initial round of testing that included a functional deployment testing of the Exos 2X14, including full infrastructure testing for interoperability and compatibility with the data center infrastructure, product robustness, reliability and ease of integration with its Project Olympus system architecture — as well as the tests on the performance increase MACH.2 provides. Microsoft used its Microsoft Exchange Server Jetstress tool, which simulates Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016 disk I/O load on a server to verify the performance and stability of a disk subsystem. Microsoft saw that they were getting close to twice the throughput and IOPS with the new technology.

Seagate also believes that MACH.2 can solve issues like IOPS/TB and cost/TB. The technology will allow for twice the throughput and IOPS at higher capacities than other HDDs while taking up the same footprint. If the use cases line up right and the price is right, this can be used as a potential SSD alternative for cloud customers. 

Source:https://www.storagereview.com/seagate_exos_2x14_doubles_iops_for_microsoft/
https://www.cxotoday.com/press-release/microsoft-nearly-doubles-iops-using-seagate-exos-with-mach-2-dual-actuator-technology/
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/tO0zt_bWs99-IOtvFcVMHA
Thoughts: It will be many more months before this technology will be available in the consumer market, and if it isn't as cheap as QLC/PLC SSDs I doubt it would be competitive. Would be nice to hear from the seagate forum affiliate about this.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

interesting. still has the drop death problem but it may be cheaper and if you drop your desktop more expensive things are going to die anyway.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I find this very interesting, I am still not 100% comfortable about storing long term on ssds at the moment but his may be something to look into. Additionally probably the first innovation in HDD tech to come in a while, not that it is a leap or anything but a different angle being taken.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I struggled to see much advantage to this when it was first shown, and I still don't get it now. It's essentially two hard disks in one box, with the advantages and disadvantages that comes with it. There's still one head per side, so the only advantage is that the heads on each half of the drive can move independently of each other? I think having more than one head per side would help more, both in increasing throughput per platter and seek times.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Pretty cool. I wonder what's the failure rate going to be like, since they added a new point of failure.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I wonder if HDD's could still be viable solution for the future if we manage to split heads to individual ones between each platter. Imagine having 1 head per platter, so you'd have 4 independent heads on 4 platter drives. It could read and write to 4 platters fully independently.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

image.thumb.png.a1485f9eb84b8fa4df960ee3f11589a1.png

Multi-actuators have been one of the methods for Hard disks to catch up to SSD's performance, Seagate demonstrated it a year back and now it is finally on production for enterprise use.

Source:https://www.storagereview.com/seagate_exos_2x14_doubles_iops_for_microsoft/
https://www.cxotoday.com/press-release/microsoft-nearly-doubles-iops-using-seagate-exos-with-mach-2-dual-actuator-technology/
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/tO0zt_bWs99-IOtvFcVMHA
Thoughts: It will be many more months before this technology will be available in the consumer market, and if it isn't as cheap as QLC/PLC SSDs I doubt it would be competitive. Would be nice to hear from the seagate forum affiliate about this.

i am so dumb, I never knew HDD had more than one "disc"

25 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

i am so dumb, I never knew HDD had more than one "disc"

They do comes in multiple platters too, 4 is the most I've seen, but it depends on the size. Taking a 1TB drive as an example, they can have a single platter at 1TB or 2 platters at 500GB each. The single platter version is usually faster, because of the areal density of the platters.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

It's not meant to compete with SSDs

An example that Seagate stated was a data center can install a 14TB dual-actuator drive in each slot. To the application, it looks very similar to the high throughput provided by two 7TB drives — but it fits into a single slot.

Data Centers and home storage are where you'll see this take off. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They do comes in multiple platters too, 4 is the most I've seen, but it depends on the size. Taking a 1TB drive as an example, they can have a single platter at 1TB or 2 platters at 500GB each. The single platter version is usually faster, because of the areal density of the platters.

Startup times are also longer on multiplatter drives. I've had a WD Caviar Black 2TB that had 4 platters (each 500GB, I think it was the first 2TB drive released back then). It took quite few seconds for the drive to spin up that huge mass of platters up to operational speeds.

1 hour ago, porina said:

I struggled to see much advantage to this when it was first shown, and I still don't get it now. It's essentially two hard disks in one box, with the advantages and disadvantages that comes with it. There's still one head per side, so the only advantage is that the heads on each half of the drive can move independently of each other? I think having more than one head per side would help more, both in increasing throughput per platter and seek times.

Data striping. You can have a raid 0 setup within the same hard drive. The top actuator reads/writes half the data while the bottom one reads/writes the other half. That's where the doubling comes in. You are literally utilizing the data twice as fast. This is exactly how raid 0 functions. You could do raid 10 with only two hard drives. 

The firmware has to support such a thing though but from what I gather that seems to be the Idea from the start. 

2 hours ago, porina said:

It can service two different data requests at the same time, assuming the data lives on separate halves. So at best you're looking at double the performance, at worse, as much as a single actuator. And it's likely the firmware will make sure data doesn't mostly live on one half or the other.

6 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

Data striping. You can have a raid 0 setup within the same hard drive. The top actuator reads/writes half the data while the bottom one reads/writes the other half. That's where the doubling comes in. You are literally utilizing the data twice as fast. This is exactly how raid 0 functions. You could do raid 10 with only two hard drives. 

You wouldn't need the actuators to move independently to "raid 0" it though. You can simply read from multiple heads at the same time. Why not read/write to all heads at the same time?

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It can service two different data requests at the same time, assuming the data lives on separate halves. So at best you're looking at double the performance, at worse, as much as a single actuator. And it's likely the firmware will make sure data doesn't mostly live on one half or the other.

This is more in line with my thinking, but this would only offer a marginal latency improvement.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Startup times are also longer on multiplatter drives. I've had a WD Caviar Black 2TB that had 4 platters (each 500GB, I think it was the first 2TB drive released back then). It took quite few seconds for the drive to spin up that huge mass of platters up to operational speeds.

WD Black runs at 7200RPM so a few seconds to spin up to operational speeds isn't a huge deal.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Based on the article, the advantage of this is more capacity per slot. So saving space. And I guess also saving data/power connections.

So for a given number of servers, this gives you a higher capacity ceiling while maintaining acceptable speed.

More moving parts more failure points, I'm interested to test one of these out. Maybe have one half of the drive for files and the other as a back up? 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

More moving parts more failure points, I'm interested to test one of these out. Maybe have one half of the drive for files and the other as a back up? 

But not double the number of moving parts (platter spins as a whole, so one motor for that). So it is a per GB reduction in moving parts.

4 minutes ago, MichaelWd said:

But not double the number of moving parts (platter spins as a whole, so one motor for that). So it is a per GB reduction in moving parts.

I never said double. I just said more... more read arms and more platters, aka more failure points. In my experience it's usually the read arm that mucks up the drive, whether it breaks, scratches a platter, or just stops working. Out of all the drives I've worked with that were failing and or failed only one of them had the platter motor go out.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

WD Black runs at 7200RPM so a few seconds to spin up to operational speeds isn't a huge deal.

Bootups, waking from sleep and recovery from crashes was quite noticeable. I ran it 24/7 anyway so it didn't bother me all that often, but the spinup time was quite noticeable compared to older drives that had less platters. I think I had 750GB Samsung F1 before this WD Caviar Black that had 2x 375GB platters iirc and it was way faster at spinning up. But yeah, all that is past for me. Running SSD's exclusively in all my devices for years now and boy it's like living in a future :D No lag, no scratching and grinding, just pure silence and speed.

33 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I never said double. I just said more... more read arms and more platters, aka more failure points. In my experience it's usually the read arm that mucks up the drive, whether it breaks, scratches a platter, or just stops working. Out of all the drives I've worked with that were failing and or failed only one of them had the platter motor go out.

I'm pretty sure the only thing they did was split the arms into two groups and have an actuator on each so the groups can move around independently.

The image is very likely not representative of any actual drive. Besides that, hard drives come in a variety of different platter/head numbers.

4 hours ago, porina said:

I think having more than one head per side would help more, both in increasing throughput per platter and seek times.

Yeah but that wouldnt fit into the standard size.... This  way they can keep the traditional size but loose one platter in capacity (AFAIK they use one side of a platter to store data needed for the controller to actually position the head above track and stuff).

Edited by jagdtigger

On the scale that data centres work this drive would make huge sense,  almost twice the storage density plus all the perks in extra speed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

now all we need is backblaze to have a bunch for a year to tell us how much they fail

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, MichaelWd said:

Based on the article, the advantage of this is more capacity per slot. So saving space. And I guess also saving data/power connections.

So for a given number of servers, this gives you a higher capacity ceiling while maintaining acceptable speed.

A semantic point, but it's less "more capacity" and more that it's "more capacity at a reasonable performance".

A full 10+TB drive is going to take ages to seek to completely different parts of the disk, so some data centera may deliberately only use a small fraction of the disk in order to maintain usage performance. With multiple heads, they can use all/a larger percentage of the disk without meaninful performance loss.