Unbox Therapy accused of copying PITAKA phone case, copyright abuse & fake giveaways

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Update : A Non-Apology 

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Update : backpedaling but it's alright.  but still avoids all the unethical things he did about from removing the videos to striking videos. avoids talking about the lies he told about saying he contacted with them to partner. my problem was never that he made a case that looked like someone else but rather how he behaved on the situation trying to pull everything under the rug. 

===============================================================================================================================================================================

On Saturday, one of YouTube’s largest tech channels, Unbox Therapy, released a new phone case – the Latercase.

Shortly after the release of the Latercase, Unbox Therapy was accused of copying the phone cases made by phone accessory company PITAKA. These initial accusations has now erupted into a controversy where videos have been hidden and copyright claims have been filed.

Much of the controversy has centered around whether Unbox Therapy made the case, copied the case, or adapted a pre-existing case from Chinese wholesaler Alibaba.

Unbox Therapy host Lewis Hilsenteger (Lew) says that he worked with a factory to make the Latercase. In the launch video for the case, Lew uses the tagline: “I don’t like phone cases, so I went out and made one.”

PITAKA accuses Unbox Therapy of copying its cases
Shortly after the release of the Latercase, PITAKA CEO James Zheng accused Unbox Therapy of copying phone cases made by his company.

Zheng said that he and his company want an apology from Unbox Therapy and nothing else.

Unbox Therapy's The Latercase:

image.thumb.png.2d96254a3413e75d540adaa501180a7f.png

PITAKA's MagEZ case:
image.thumb.png.f835463f37dfba94674e88fa6f989f91.png

Front Page Tech host Jon Prosser then researched the differences between the cases and concluded that there are “slight, very, very slight differences” between the Latercase and PITAKA’s cases. However, he noted that the case is very similar to this product on Alibaba.
Prosser also discovered that on the same day that Unbox Therapy released the Latercase, 4.5 million video views were also removed from the Unbox Therapy YouTube channel, according to SocialBlade stats.

This means that the day before the release of the Latercase, Unbox Therapy had deleted or made private (hidden from the public) one or more videos on its channel.

Further investigation from Prosser revealed that one of the two videos that had been made private featured a PITAKA case.

Read more:

https://reclaimthenet-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/reclaimthenet.org/unbox-therapy-latercase-pitaka-case-controversy/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'll let the court decides this one.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Lee don't buy iPhones they're costly/i don't like phone cases. 

Also lew : here's an 11$ case for 45$. I made this. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I'll let the court decides this one.

I just hope it will not end up like Caselabs against Thermaltake.

(Yes, that is an extreme example of how relying on court decision to form your opinion can be misleading ;-))

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Wow, this sounds like a mess. Without getting my head around all the claims I guess I have to write carefully.

My first thought is, if you're going to make a case for a phone, there's only some many points of variation that are possible. Similarities will be inevitable. The question then is, how do you draw a line between a close copy, an "inspired by", or they look similar because that's the only practical way to do it?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

There are only so many ways to make a phone case The ms phone made by nokia had cases just like those years ago (I still have one).  I would also delete videos I made of a product if that company was out to shit on my products (even if they are cheap chinese generic shit).   

All we need to know is are they actually copies of anything or is it just another case of everyone getting their shit from china so it looks the same and this pitaka company got their balls knitted up over this one?

I don't like unbox therapy and haven't watched in a while, but I'm going to wait for actual evidence of wrong doing before I hang him out to dry.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  • On Saturday, Unbox Therapy, released phone case – the Latercase.
  • Shortly after the release they were accused of copying the phone cases made by phone accessory company PITAKA, alleging design theft or adaptation of chinese-produced copies.

No wonder another tech YouTube channel spilled some tea about Lew 

https://youtu.be/n_fcDx2wSmA?t=54

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

for those wondering who the heck is Prosser and what he has to do with all of these:

dude, don't blindly copy/quote the article into the OP, lol ._.

EDIT: geez they're even out of order too

Editing on phone is hard AF But i did try to quote function on chrome app which broke tweets, gave up. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

First, it began with a tweet:

image.png.5ac0387cc3c1a91bc588db66d6c25f58.png

Than a video was published to Lew's main channel

However, astute observers noticed that this case seemed extremely similar to one previously reviewed by Lew, the Pitaka Aramid case. That video has since been taken down from Unbox Therapy's channel. You can see the impact on his Socialblade page here.

image.thumb.png.599f0a0e93d2b6f95b57854d24776496.png

Pitaka themselves, also noticed, issuing a statement on the Unbox Therapy case design.  (https://www.ipitaka.com/blogs/news/statement-on-the-unbox-therapy-phone-case-yes-it-is-a-copycat)

<Removed quoted article. Do not just copy and paste entire articles. Link to article is above.>

Edited by Spotty
Removed excessive quote

Unbox Therapy used to be one of my favorite Tech Tubers, giving what was oftentimes a first look at new phones on the market and the occasional nifty gadget. 

But after this? I think it's safe to say Lew has no real integrity. 

Is the copying just the pattern design of the case, or down to the materials being used?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

Seems like both design and materials.

They're both made of Aramid. 

Good summary video for those that don't want to read through everything. 

Includes Skype conversation with Pitaka CEO.

image.png.6fe3d69a1cad951ef910d0853ca051e4.png

can even see when the Pitaka Case Review video was deleted

EDIT: i would have believed that he may not have known it was the same design since individuals dont just make phone cases and mass produce them, but the fact that he deleted or hid the original video means he knew that it was a copy

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Rune said:

Scumbag.

No need to insult scumbags by comparing them to this douche canoe.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Is the copying just the pattern design of the case, or down to the materials being used?

It actually looks more like Unbox Therapy is simply rebranding an already knock-off version available off the Chinese distributors. It might be a spec order with slight changes, but it's really quite a lot like the Souja-console from a bit ago.

Posts have been merged and edited to comply with the Tech News Guidelines.

Please do not copy and paste entire articles in to your post. If you wish to quote something from an article or blog, please only quote a small snippet that is relevant to the topic and will give the reader a summary, using quote boxes to display it as a quote. If anyone wishes to continue reading more they can visit the source link.

Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Is it accusation if it's fact?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

19 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Lee don't buy iPhones they're costly/i don't like phone cases. 

Also lew : here's an 11$ case for 45$. I made this. 

Coming soon from Soulja Boy 

18 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Unbox Therapy is simply rebranding an already knock-off version available off the Chinese distributors.

that happens all the time

i am sure unbox therapy wanted easy cash, so they did not make anything, just simply chose a case and bought them wholesale to jack up the prices.

funny thing is china can take unbox therapy to court and have a field day

good luck vice versa

3 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Looks like a dbrand skin if you ask me.

it most likely is

and its probably a counterfeit piece made with toxic materials

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

funny thing is china can take unbox therapy to court and have a field day

good luck vice versa

Can they really? I thought China didn't care about copyright laws.

But this is all just accusations to stir up drama, we don't know for sure if Unbox Therapy just bought cases from a supplier in China, or if they actually copied a design. If someone can sue for a similar looking case then dbrand should sue for everyone else for making vinyl device skins.

an outsider of china, going into china to sue a chinese company/org/govt is a hopeless cause, a waste of time.

a china corp, sueing a usa corp happens all the time, doesnt even need to be a legitimate cause, maybe chinese corp lawyers arent busy so why not keep them busy and hope for a settlement. maybe thats not the goal, maybe the goalof the chinese corp is defamation.