I said I wouldn't cry... - $35K Abyss Headphone Setup

James

Buy Abyss Headphones on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/WZ28

Linus is moved to tears when he tries out a true audiophile headphone setup - complete with amps and DACs - with special guest DMS!

This guy has a Pink Guy shirt, please tell me he made you listen to some Joji and Pink Guy music after this video!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

?

p029sh8w.jpg

It needed to be posted ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

20 minutes ago, James said:

Linus is moved to tears when he tries out a true audiophile headphone setup

Let's not pretend that the choice of the song didn't make a difference ?

That being said, I fully acknowledge that the 1266 are excellent pair of headphones, ones that I regrettably did not get to hear when I was deciding on my Utopias but honestly - they would have to be night and day better for me to get past that ergonomics.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

?

Your "click here to buy"-finger itching yet? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Your "click here to buy"-finger itching yet? 

Lol nah. I've tried these before at audio shows.

I'm fine with my budget $10k setup lol.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

But have you tried the shelf? :D

I was sceptical when he said that the stackzilla costs couple of thousands because that would be crazy but then I googled that thing:

https://stack-zilla.com/products/stackzilla-equipment-isolation-rack-audio-furniture?variant=31125528772689

The version from the video (4) costs $4k USD hehe.

"A lot cheaper than the Orpheus" though.

Or just buy a pair of T7Vs for half a grand and get better quality audio.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

I was sceptical when he said that the stackzilla costs couple of thousands because that would be crazy but then I googled that thing:

https://stack-zilla.com/products/stackzilla-equipment-isolation-rack-audio-furniture?variant=31125528772689

image.thumb.png.6a9732b97cbf73277501f595d002d7d1.png

Don't laugh til you've seen the power cables lol

11 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

And people wonder why audiophiles are so reluctant to either take part in ABX tests or at least believe in the results :D

18 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

image.thumb.png.6a9732b97cbf73277501f595d002d7d1.png

Smh, that power cable really darkens soundstage, you need this one to add resolution.

image.png.cf992e1b1b7713c34d86db06a63d36da.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Very interesting video. But I could have watched it completely muted with a simple subtitle of "Linus enjoys a highly developed sound system", and would have gotten the same information out of that. But thats an inherent problem with videos about audio equipment. At least I now know that something like this exists.

1 hour ago, minibois said:

This guy has a Pink Guy shirt, please tell me he made you listen to some Joji and Pink Guy music after this video!

"slow dancing in the dark" is amazing change my mind

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

I'm fine with my budget $10k setup lol.

"budget"

1 minute ago, MikuKawaii said:

"budget"

How else to call it in an industry where high end speakers can cost more than luxury cars? :D

So what kind of music quality is going into the system?

cough i just spent i grand on a receiver. just that. seeing if i replace my current speakers set up. then that would be like 3 grand.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 minutes ago, bridges said:

So what kind of music quality is going into the system?

I've never heard the ABYSS 1266 personally, but I have a pair of electrostatic earspeakers from STAX. Comparing it to the HD650 which is considered to be hi-fi tier by most people, the difference is night and day. HD650 are incredibly veiled and muddy compared to my STAX.

I find it hard to believe that a pair of planar's can compete with the superior electrostatic driver. With its lighter-than-air diaphragm, planar's are unable to catch up in speed. 

36 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

What the **** I'm reading?

" Oven cured polymer ceramic finish is durable and aesthetically pleasing, offering a choice of colors to match you room, and tastes. "

That just a long way to say that the aluminium is cera-coated which isn't anything magical. Like saying "this piece of aluminium is sunk in water and with electricity grown a strong and durable coating on it" is something else than just anodizing.

I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't "Stillpoint Ultra Mini Very High Quality Footers" but only Stillpoint Ultra Mini footers. But I couldn't have thought that flat footers are good to be placed on flat surface. I was already ordering one to be set on my bowling ball, what a shame... Oh, and those who hate reading and especially ads, don't go to Stillpoints website, like... god... I don't think how I can recover from that wall of text which doesn't really make sense past couple chapters (like why would you need that expensive footings when the real damage for your audio quality is happening inside your equipment, like should you buy Stillpoints for all of your caps and resistors to mitigate this problem or just for your rack or what the whaty what?).

I don't mean to offend anyone but for real? $4k for cera-coated aluminium rack with fancy footers and some "vibration cancelling material" (probably just fancy way to say either silicone or rubber or felt) here and there. Like yeah, it probably took long time to design that and the possible audience is quite small so you would need to ask higher price, but $4k for a aluminium shelf?

Like Orpheus at least had included box with fancy servos and stuff and was clearly meant to be luxury item for those with more than too much money to burn with very limited quantity and all that. But if the whole package is cheaper than it... I'm still totally lost in the worlds of What, Why, Is-It-Really-Necessary and Wouldn't-It-Be-Better-To-Go-And-See-The-Band-Live-(And-Cheaper). ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

That just a long way to say that the aluminium is cera-coated which isn't anything magical

Oh yeah, the audio industry excels in verbose grand descriptions of common techniques that has to justify four or five digit price tag.

6 minutes ago, mmda said:

I've never heard the ABYSS 1266 personally, but I have a pair of electrostatic earspeakers from STAX. Comparing it to the HD650 which is considered to be hi-fi tier by most people, the difference is night and day. HD650 are incredibly veiled and muddy compared to my STAX.

I find it hard to believe that a pair of planar's can compete with the superior electrostatic driver. With its lighter-than-air diaphragm, planar's are unable to catch up in speed. 

Ok, that is pretty cool. I am wondering what the quality of the music is that comes out of the Ipad. Crap in is crap out, in this case crystal clear ultra hi-fi poopiness. 

2 minutes ago, bridges said:

Ok, that is pretty cool. I am wondering what the quality of the music is that comes out of the Ipad. Crap in is crap out, in this case crystal clear ultra hi-fi poopines. 

They were using TIDAL. TIDAL advertise themselves as having hi-fidelity streaming with some songs using MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) which is suppose to replicate the sound of the original master recording. 

3 minutes ago, bridges said:

Ok, that is pretty cool. I am wondering what the quality of the music is that comes out of the Ipad. Crap in is crap out, in this case crystal clear ultra hi-fi poopiness. 

Digital audio is essentially the same from source to source via usb connection, feeding it digital audio from a laptop would result in the same results overall. Tbh, using a transport is neccesary, getting an audio card used for MIDI studio equipment that is reclocked and transmitting over AES is a good idea usually. If you would like to use USB, then you should use a USB to I2S converter with a linear power supply. This is better because of the electrical noise removal but the use of I2S may be overkill dependent on DAC implementation. If the DAC syncs the clock of decoding cycles with the incoming signal, then I2S may be worth it. High end DACs will usually either have a master clock to which everything is slaved to, or use an algorithm to analyze the incoming digital signal for clock and build a clock from there (PS Audio DirectStream).

2 minutes ago, mmda said:

They were using TIDAL. TIDAL advertise themselves as having hi-fidelity streaming with some songs using MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) which is suppose to replicate the sound of the original master recording. 

MQA is still compressed, the only people to actually use true uncompressed music is Qobuz.