PC won't POST, solid red CPU light on mobo after overclock ( new build)

Hi everyone,

So I've completed my new build for about a week, everything was running great: no overheating, everything is cool and smooth. And ... I decided to overclock it today (I currently own a new I9 9900k).

So I was following some youtube tutorial to attempt to overclock my new CPU to 5.0ghz, just to see how lucky I am with this new CPU (If I remember correctly, I set my vcore to 1.350v). After I click save&exit, the PC fails to boot again. Fans and CPU cooler would be turned on for about 10 secs and the system would reboot again ( NO I/O )

CPU debug LED is solid red. I've tried reseting the bios using CMOS jumper and removing the battery method but none of those works. Do you guys think that I accidentally fried my CPU? I wasn't able to test out the new settings at all so I think this is unlikely.

Maybe my PSU is failing? I have had this PSU for about 4+ years ( from my old build). I didn't get a new one because I was thinking 650w would probably enough for an RTX 2080ti and a i9 9900k.

I've ordered a new 850w PSU and it is on its way. In the meantime, how do I go about ruling out that my mobo and my CPU aren't dead?
Thanks

System specs:
16gb ram 3200
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
i9-9900k
RTX 2080ti
Rosewill 650w PSU 80+ Gold Cert (I have had this about 4+ years)

22 minutes ago, David Vu said:

how do I go about ruling out that my mobo and my CPU aren't dead?

You'll need a spare CPU or motherboard that you know works.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

seems unlikely that your cpu would be fried. Did you short / use jumper on cmos reset while the psu power cord was disconnected?

Leave it unplugged for a while and press and hold down the power button

Try again in a couple hours.

Mysteriously this has helped me in the past.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

11 hours ago, David Vu said:

Hi everyone,

So I've completed my new build for about a week, everything was running great: no overheating, everything is cool and smooth. And ... I decided to overclock it today (I currently own a new I9 9900k).

So I was following some youtube tutorial to attempt to overclock my new CPU to 5.0ghz, just to see how lucky I am with this new CPU (If I remember correctly, I set my vcore to 1.350v). After I click save&exit, the PC fails to boot again. Fans and CPU cooler would be turned on for about 10 secs and the system would reboot again ( NO I/O )

CPU debug LED is solid red. I've tried reseting the bios using CMOS jumper and removing the battery method but none of those works. Do you guys think that I accidentally fried my CPU? I wasn't able to test out the new settings at all so I think this is unlikely.

Maybe my PSU is failing? I have had this PSU for about 4+ years ( from my old build). I didn't get a new one because I was thinking 650w would probably enough for an RTX 2080ti and a i9 9900k.

I've ordered a new 850w PSU and it is on its way. In the meantime, how do I go about ruling out that my mobo and my CPU aren't dead?
Thanks

System specs:
16gb ram 3200
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
i9-9900k
RTX 2080ti
Rosewill 650w PSU 80+ Gold Cert (I have had this about 4+ years)

RAM training probably failed.

You need to clear CMOS correctly.  However there HAVE Been cases where, if you used the power button to power off after a RAM timing fail, instead of flipping the power supply rocker switch, the BIOS can get corrupted completely, which is a problem on the Aorus Pro/Ultra/Wifi, since there is no onboard switch for switching main/backup BIOSes (This was mentioned on Buildzoid's video for RAM testing on the Aorus Master, he said, if you get a RAM timing fail, flip the power supply switch, not the case power button, but I am not sure what difference that makes).

Unplug the power supply from the wall/AC cable.

Use a screwdriver to short the clear CMOS jumper for 30 seconds.  

Replug in AC power supply cable.

System should now POST normally after several on/off fast boot loops (usually two fast 1-second on-off cycles, followed by a 30 second on-off cycle, followed by a POST).

If this STILL fails, try the following:

1) Power off with the power supply rocker switch.

2) hold down power+reset case buttons while powering on.  Hold down both until it powers off by itself.

3) Power on.  System should switch to the other BIOS and POST.

If this still fails, you have two nuclear options:

1) unplug AC, take out all RAM dimms, plug power cable, power on with NO RAM inserted.  This will fail of course but the BIOS may be corrupted and may be able to be restored unless the BIOS is completely unwriteable.

Power off, unplug AC Again, power on.  This works for many people.

2) unplug AC, take out RAM and CPU from the socket, plug in power cable, power on with no CPU inserted (fail), power off, insert RAM, power on with no CPU inserted, power off, insert CPU, reapply thermal paste (you need to have spare paste available, but if you are desperate, spread the 'old' paste around but be prepared for bad temps), power on.

This will ALWAYS work IF the CPU or BIOS are not destroyed.

The purpose of those two steps is to force the BIOS to completely reactivate and reset its NVRAM, when clearing CMOS won't even work.

If none of these work, the motherboard is most likely dead.  Probably a corrupt BIOS.  Very unlikely the CPU simply died.

8 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

RAM training probably failed.

You need to clear CMOS correctly.  However there HAVE Been cases where, if you used the power button to power off after a RAM timing fail, instead of flipping the power supply rocker switch, the BIOS can get corrupted completely, which is a problem on the Aorus Pro/Ultra/Wifi, since there is no onboard switch for switching main/backup BIOSes (This was mentioned on Buildzoid's video for RAM testing on the Aorus Master, he said, if you get a RAM timing fail, flip the power supply switch, not the case power button, but I am not sure what difference that makes).

Unplug the power supply from the wall/AC cable.

Use a screwdriver to short the clear CMOS jumper for 30 seconds.  

Replug in AC power supply cable.

System should now POST normally after several on/off fast boot loops (usually two fast 1-second on-off cycles, followed by a 30 second on-off cycle, followed by a POST).

If this STILL fails, try the following:

1) Power off with the power supply rocker switch.

2) hold down power+reset case buttons while powering on.  Hold down both until it powers off by itself.

3) Power on.  System should switch to the other BIOS and POST.

If this still fails, you have two nuclear options:

1) unplug AC, take out all RAM dimms, plug power cable, power on with NO RAM inserted.  This will fail of course but the BIOS may be corrupted and may be able to be restored unless the BIOS is completely unwriteable.

Power off, unplug AC Again, power on.  This works for many people.

2) unplug AC, take out RAM and CPU from the socket, plug in power cable, power on with no CPU inserted (fail), power off, insert RAM, power on with no CPU inserted, power off, insert CPU, reapply thermal paste (you need to have spare paste available, but if you are desperate, spread the 'old' paste around but be prepared for bad temps), power on.

This will ALWAYS work IF the CPU or BIOS are not destroyed.

The purpose of those two steps is to force the BIOS to completely reactivate and reset its NVRAM, when clearing CMOS won't even work.

If none of these work, the motherboard is most likely dead.  Probably a corrupt BIOS.  Very unlikely the CPU simply died.

Thank you so much for the constructive answer.

I think it's very likely that my bios is corrupted. I just rma both my CPU and mobo back to newegg for a replacement just in case. Hopefully the request gets authorized because I just ordered the parts less than a week ago.

By the way, do you guys know how strictly is newegg when it comes to return/replacement? I'm missing a few screws in my mobo box, that shouldn't hurt anything right?

Just try booting up with one stick of ram in there.. might force the bios to realise there has been a hardware change.

Only reason I mention its worth a try is that I had a similar issue back in the day when i was overclocking my 5820k.. tried bios reset and battery with no luck.. Starting with only one stick of ram in there instead of the 4 seemed to kick the bios back into action.. similar to how the guy mentions it above..

No idea if it will help but worth a shot before you RMA the stuff.