Adding an RX 240 to a Dell Optiplex 7010

SerialSniper15
Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,
Just now, SerialSniper15 said:

This appears to be the same card I'm using. https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0018-00013?Description=r5%20240&cm_re=r5_240-_-9SIAE8D8A19499-_-Product

The DP is on the card and the monitor is HDMI.  Perhaps that's why?  The cable I'm trying is DP-to-HDMI, no adapter needed.

Pretty sure that's a DP 1.1 port, which predates DP++ needed for the use of a passive DP to HDMI cable. You'll likely need an active one, if you can find one, otherwise you'll need a DP to HDMI active adapter + HDMI cable.

Greetings!  I just "inherited" an Optiplex 7010 as my employer upgraded their computer and were going to throw it away.  Coincidentally, I also have an AMD RX 240 that is low profile and fits the case perfectly so I gave it a shot. 

When I boot up after installing the card, I get fan spin on the card but the monitor doesn't detect a connection.  I just get a black screen.

Another forum post elsewhere recommending disabling Intel's built-in HD Graphics driver in device manager, then rebooting into safe mode.  That didn't work either, same black screen.

Any suggestions?  I have been using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter so I'm going to try a new cable tomorrow to see if I have a bad adapter.

Edit: I'm using Windows 10 with an i5 3570

Edit 2: I meant to title this post R5 240, not RX

Which specific RX 240 variant? Standard didn't include DP, and to use a DP to HDMI adapter you'll need to use an active one, depending on the card. Also, is the DP on the GPU, or on the monitor? That's super important because DP to HDMI adapters are NOT reversible, they are unidirectional.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Just now, SerialSniper15 said:

This appears to be the same card I'm using. https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0018-00013?Description=r5%20240&cm_re=r5_240-_-9SIAE8D8A19499-_-Product

The DP is on the card and the monitor is HDMI.  Perhaps that's why?  The cable I'm trying is DP-to-HDMI, no adapter needed.

Pretty sure that's a DP 1.1 port, which predates DP++ needed for the use of a passive DP to HDMI cable. You'll likely need an active one, if you can find one, otherwise you'll need a DP to HDMI active adapter + HDMI cable.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

On 12/3/2019 at 12:31 AM, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

So I ordered an active adapter and it worked!  Thank you very much!

Now that the card is installed I can't change the screen resolution.  If I go to Display Settings, where is no option for it.  I'm going to try a Windows Update and this driver update.  If you can think of any other recommendations I would appreciate them.