How to record movie clips with OBS

So, I have to make a horror film trailer for class from a existing animated film and I want to record some clips of the movie, but every time I do, the movie doesn't show in the recording, only a black screen. Is there anyway to bypass this?

Display capture? 

And why OBS? Just use Handbrake to cut out the parts you need. 

If you're trying to record a movie from Netflix, keep in mind they thought of people doing this.

If you screen record Netflix (or screenshot it), it will show a black screen (it will still show the subtitles though).

You're gonna have to get the movie in a legal way (preferably in an easy to rip way, like a downloadable DRM free file or disc version you can rip (so likely not Blu-ray)) and use the footage that way.

Of course only under the whole "Fair use for education use" part.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

27 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Display capture? 

And why OBS? Just use Handbrake to cut out the parts you need. 

26 minutes ago, Zagna said:

You could just edit the video instead? Try Shotcut.

18 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you're trying to record a movie from Netflix, keep in mind they thought of people doing this.

If you screen record Netflix (or screenshot it), it will show a black screen (it will still show the subtitles though).

You're gonna have to get the movie in a legal way (preferably in an easy to rip way, like a downloadable DRM free file or disc version you can rip (so likely not Blu-ray)) and use the footage that way.

Of course only under the whole "Fair use for education use" part.

The film I'm trying to get footage of is Bilal: A New Breed of Hero, which I bought from the Google Play Store so I could watch it on my phone.