IPad Pro YouTube! Why can’t I stretch to full screen? Might as well watch on an iPhone because of the black stupid bas

WolfLoverPro

Why do they not just simply let you stretch the video horizontal so there’s no ugly black bars. Literally there’s no point in using an iPad because I can at least go full full screen on my iPhone. 

See this picture? Them black bars take up half the bloody screen wtf? I’m sure I don’t remember YouTube being this small on my ipad 

7DDAF5FB-B28D-46DD-A860-8A32AB396FBA.png

The aspect ratio of the tablet doesn't match the video's. The only way to get it full screen is to enlarge the video but cut off the edges but you see less of the image or distort the image so all of it fits. And I'd argue neither are better than this.

ipads are 3 : 2 aspect ratio and the video you're watching is 16:9.

The point of using ipads is bigger screen. Even with the black bars, the view is still larger than the biggest iphones.

you can pinch zoom the video to get rid of the black bars but it will chopped the sides.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

iPad mini has same problem. Not just youtube, any content that isn't its native format is affected. 16:9 games lose a ton of screen estate.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Spoiler

ipad-screen-sizes.jpg?w=900&ssl=1

Not an Apple user by any means, but they use some weird screen resolutions. Your phone is probably closer to 16:9

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

41 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The point of using ipads is bigger screen. Even with the black bars, the view is still larger than the biggest iphones.

you can pinch zoom the video to get rid of the black bars but it will chopped the sides.

42 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The aspect ratio of the tablet doesn't match the video's. The only way to get it full screen is to enlarge the video but cut off the edges but you see less of the image or distort the image so all of it fits. And I'd argue neither are better than this.

Okay but my point is YouTube could just let you stretch the bottom and top without cutting out the edges,

like in VLC player if you have a movie and it’s blakc edged. Just stretch it horizontal then vertical 

I think it's easy to do but youtube may not want the video to stretch unproportionally especially for their ads.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Okay but my point is YouTube could just let you stretch the bottom and top without cutting out the edges,

like in VLC player if you have a movie and it’s blakc edged. Just stretch it horizontal then vertical 

Why would I want to watch a distorted video? It would look something like this (pretend the black bars don't exist, I'm reusing your picture directly)

7DDAF5FB-B28D-46DD-A860-8A32AB396FBA.thumb.png.089c3cbd763859039ea8f1862d6fc938.png

EDIT: The alternative is to cut off the image where it doesn't fit. Which means you'd be seeing less of the image. Like in the case of what happened with Bioshock

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d94a0970b-pi.jp

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

A 3:2 aspect ratio is sane (from a photography background) and not far from 16:9 at 13.5:9. No, iPads are like a trip back to the 80's. Hello 4:3 (12:9).

At least, iPad mini 2019 and iPad Pro 12.9 2018 are 4:3. iPad Pro 11 is... slightly less bad at just under 13:9. In short, when Apple came up with the iPad they went for mixed use cases, not primarily media consumption where most is in 16:9 or even wider. As such it is a poor choice unless it is remastered for the iPad, like the old days when TVs were 4:3 and you either had letterboxing, or pan and scan which is an edit of the film to decide which 4:3 part to show you. Blindly cropping means you will miss stuff, and non-aspect ratio stretching will distort.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Why would I want to watch a distorted video? It would look something like this (pretend the black bars don't exist, I'm reusing your picture directly)

7DDAF5FB-B28D-46DD-A860-8A32AB396FBA.thumb.png.089c3cbd763859039ea8f1862d6fc938.png

EDIT: The alternative is to cut off the image where it doesn't fit. Which means you'd be seeing less of the image. Like in the case of what happened with Bioshock

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d94a0970b-pi.jp

I’m watching unboxing videos I don’t care about 4K quality lol. 

I just wish wish there’s an option on YouTube to do it >:( 

What I don't get: why the urge to fill the screen?  Are you one of those folks who gets annoyed when a movie is presented in 21:9 on your 16:9 TV?  It's not like you have to eliminate black bars to get your money's worth.

The iPad's aspect ratio was a conscious tradeoff -- you don't get optimal space for video, but it's better for virtually everything else, whether it's browsing the web, playing games or getting work done.  Those 16:9 Android tablets bug me because they make so many compromises just so that video fills the screen.  Great if all you do is watch YouTube and Netflix all day, but lousy if you use your tablet for anything more.

9 hours ago, Commodus said:

What I don't get: why the urge to fill the screen?  Are you one of those folks who gets annoyed when a movie is presented in 21:9 on your 16:9 TV?  It's not like you have to eliminate black bars to get your money's worth.

The iPad's aspect ratio was a conscious tradeoff -- you don't get optimal space for video, but it's better for virtually everything else, whether it's browsing the web, playing games or getting work done.  Those 16:9 Android tablets bug me because they make so many compromises just so that video fills the screen.  Great if all you do is watch YouTube and Netflix all day, but lousy if you use your tablet for anything more.

Or YouTube can just let me custom stretch the top and bottom. 

Yes i get pissed off when movies are like that which is why I use my tv remote to put it into cinema mode which fills the damn screen. 

Couldn’t care less if it’s not the original quality or a ratio

again, I’m watching nothing that requires 1080p Fill he experience on my iPad so why would it matter if I was able to streatch it?

It Annoys me 

• 4 months later...

this is is the most stupidest page I have every seen!

First off iPads are using 4:3 NOT 16:9.  
If my iPad was 16:9 it would be too wide to use that’s why they rather have 4:3 

Secondly distorting the image will still the bars, or if you cropped off bars it would look worse.

n3ptune_cpu

On 4/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, TheCoolFarshad said:

this is is the most stupidest page I have every seen!

First off iPads are using 4:3 NOT 16:9.  
If my iPad was 16:9 it would be too wide to use that’s why they rather have 4:3 

Secondly distorting the image will still the bars, or if you cropped off bars it would look worse.

I could care less mate. On Iphone they let you crop it on the xs max so let me on the ipad its not hard to make that possible on the app and then people who dont want to dont have to

On 4/21/2020 at 9:22 PM, WolfLoverPro said:

I could care less mate. On Iphone they let you crop it on the xs max so let me on the ipad its not hard to make that possible on the app and then people who dont want to dont have to

this is an iPhone X and above feature. YouTube only made some features to those devices because they will be used more commonly 

n3ptune_cpu

On 12/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, Commodus said:

10 years ago, the lousy contrast of older LCDs made the black bars look terrible. And before that, the CRTs I had were small enough as is without lopping off more screen real estate. 

Nowadays, it isn’t a big deal within reason. I watch a lot of old content with side bars as well. Though some Youtubers (“cough” Linus) opt for the 18:9 aspect ratio, which probably borders on excessive chopping of space for 4:3 displays. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, the aspect ratio of iPads don't bug me.  For drawing, it's pretty nice, and especially reading websites.  Doesn't matter the orientation, landscape or portrait.  On a tablet, it's perfect for that.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, WolfLoverPro said:

Why do they not just simply let you stretch the video horizontal so there’s no ugly black bars. Literally there’s no point in using an iPad because I can at least go full full screen on my iPhone. 

See this picture? Them black bars take up half the bloody screen wtf? I’m sure I don’t remember YouTube being this small on my ipad 

7DDAF5FB-B28D-46DD-A860-8A32AB396FBA.png

You can use a browser like brave or an app like shiftscreen to watch YouTube in full screen