S-ATA 4 ? the future of mass storage .

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

AM4 processors have up to 24 pci-e lanes.

16 go to video cards

4 go to M.2 or other devices (motherboard maker can choose to use for 10g ethernet for example or something else)

4 go to chipset

The chipset creates 8 pci-e 2.0 (500MB/s per lane), which can go to various slots or additional m.2 connectors.

"The chipset creates 8 pci-e 2.0 (500MB/s per lane), which can go to various slots or additional m.2 connectors." this way we're back to square one . We can already get ~550mb on sata3

I hATE sIGNATURES  ;)

17 minutes ago, PeterK said:

well , this is not a lot . X16 is sorta kinda reserved for the video card , 4 is assigned to the chipset , and you get to have 4 pcie4 lanes for m.2 storage - this is how it looks . So no , pcie is still not enough for 6  m.2 pcie4-x4 drives (!at full speed) . If you choose to install https://www.sonnettech.com/product/m2-4x4-pcie-card.html something like that , your GPU bandwith will suffer (maybe won't even work with an 4 lanes)

This is strictly CPU.  x470 chipsets make it possible to split the x16 into two x8 slots, to use two cards in SLI or Crossfire.

In theory you could install an adapter card with a M.2 connector in the 2nd pci-e x8 card and then your video card would be downgraded to pci-e x8. 

You probably (90% sure) can't put 2 M.2 connectors on the pci-e x8 slot, because AM4 board don't support further splitting that x8 into 2 x4. That splitting of lanes without any circuitry is called "bifurcation"

The Threadripper supports bifurcation, which is where you can use those adapter cards with 4 m.2 connectors.

The chipset creates 8 pci-e 2.0 (500MB/s per lane), which can go to various slots or additional m.2 connectors." this way we're back to square one . We can already get ~550mb on sata3

You have 4 pci-e lanes in each connector, so you could could have pci-e 2.0 x4 = 2 GB/s

Or you could have 4 M.2 connectors each with 2 lanes, for 1 GB/s per connector.

However, a few of those lanes are typically used by onboard devices.

AM4 is not meant to be a workstation platform, a single video card or two plus a few pci-e slots is enough.

If you need more, you have workstation boards, Threadripper, etc

What I was saying is that if they get rid of SATA ports and the controller, they could add more pci-e lanes in the chipset.

57 minutes ago, mariushm said:

AM4 processors have up to 24 pci-e lanes.

16 go to video cards

4 go to M.2 or other devices (motherboard maker can choose to use for 10g ethernet for example or something else)

4 go to chipset

The chipset creates 8 pci-e 2.0 (500MB/s per lane), which can go to various slots or additional m.2 connectors.

Yeah the up to part got me, i can nowhere find a clear and decise number for my CPU (Ryzen 1700X). Cus im curious. :D

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

44 minutes ago, PeterK said:

"The chipset creates 8 pci-e 2.0 (500MB/s per lane), which can go to various slots or additional m.2 connectors." this way we're back to square one . We can already get ~550mb on sata3

Yes but the way they talk to each other still makes the PCIe one faster. it can do more things at once compared to SATA...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!