Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Second gpu behind first?

So i got a rog strix gpu vertical mounted.

I cant afford another rog strix card the premium for them is too much XD,

If it fits, any negatives of sticking a second card of whatever brand behind my vertical mounted one and disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

I feel like it will look better too as when viewing from an angle you'll see the card behind itll be like a block. Anyone done this? Photos?

SLI causes lesser 1 percent low fps and is not worth the money. Just sell both cards and get a better one. Sell both 1060s and get a 5700 and a better CPU

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Just now, Faisal A said:

SLI causes lesser 1 percent low fps and is not worth the money. Just sell both cards and get a better one.

I don't think he wants SLI, the front card would be just for visuals, right?

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I think he wants to not use the old card at all, just leave it disconnected except the RGB for cosmetics...

6 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

How's the card RGB driven? Additional plug or built-in? If built-in you'd need the card connected...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@Eigenvektor So the card would be non functional ?

That's how I understood it.

9 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

sticking a second card of whatever brand behind my vertical mounted one and disconnecting my vertical mounted one but leaving it mounted so i just get rgb off it?

As @Kilrah said, I have my doubts a disconnected card would give you RGB, plus you'd probably waste some power and/or cables keeping it connected to the PSU just for RGB. Might also block some airflow for the actual card?

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I don't think he wants SLI, the front card would be just for visuals, right?

Yep,

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I think he wants to not use the old card at all, just leave it disconnected except the RGB for cosmetics...

How's the card RGB driven? Additional plug or built-in? If built-in you'd need the card connected...

it’s the rgb on the rog strix cards. I have no clue how it’s powered anyone know? Is it pcie or 6 pin power for the rgb? Or both?

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's how I understood it.

As @Kilrah said, I have my doubts a disconnected card would give you RGB, plus you'd probably waste some power and/or cables keeping it connected to the PSU just for RGB. Might also block some airflow for the actual card?

airflows a good point, I’ll guess that depends on clearance though so I’ll have to test that out myself.

10 hours ago, The Torrent said:

it’s the rgb on the rog strix cards. I have no clue how it’s powered anyone know? Is it pcie or 6 pin power for the rgb? Or both?

I don't know, sorry. Either should be more than enough to power rgb. I suppose even without a second GPU or iGPU it should be easy to check, just disconnect it and power on. My suspicion is the card may go into standby without a PCIe connection.