Power Supply for Sapphire R9 290 - 4Gb ddr5

Theros
Go to solution Solved by Juular,

Yep, my choice is the same :

Bitfenix FG550W for 70 EUR

but there's also two 650W units for a bit more :

Bitfenix FG650W for 76 EUR, multirail too but it has two 30A rails (with OCP set to 34A) on two PCI-e power cables, so if it will be unstable using one cable (which i highly doubt, hence my recommendation is 550W version) then you can connect it using two separate cables (and thus separate rails).

Corsair TX650M for 77 EUR, single rail, less trouble so to say, in return for less protection, but it can operate with more noise, Bitfenix is quieter.

Hello,

i have buy 1 R9 290 in Second hand. I add it in my system, i have turn compter ON and all was nice. After 20 minutes.... PowerSupply explode! xD

I add other Power Supply and.... after 40minutes.... Explode! :D

my older PowerSupply:

https://i.ibb.co/4db5VrX/73352243-734761653692159-5853046264073027584-n.jpg

My question is, is this Power Supply to weak or.... Maybe R9 have some problem??

Now i wanna buy:

Nox Urano VX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Edition

or

Seasonic Core GM 650W Semi Modular 80PLUS Gold

What advice can u give me? Thankyou...

2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

If both of them died I think it is a hardware problem

R9 290 is a VERY power hungry GPU, 300W stock, you need a very serious PSU for it. No noname shit will bear with it (and that's exactly what OP were using), they're lucky it didn't pull the entire PC with it (or maybe it did, who knows).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Cheap shit PSU will result in shit performance. And it can burn other thing as well like your house.
DO NOT SAVE MONEY ON PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

https://www.globaldata.pt/componentes/fontes/fonte-bitfenix-formula-550w-80-gold-bp-fm550ulag-9r

A little bit over but that's the cheapest good enough unit that's in stock.

i really say thank you, for your help and spend time with my question, but...

My pc is:

mobo: PRIME-B250M-PLUS

Cpu: I5 6500

2x4GB DDR 4

If R9 required 750W.... that PSU is fine?

what about this ones?

or

2 minutes ago, Theros said:

i really say thank you, for your help and spend time with my question, but...

My pc is:

Reveal hidden contents

mobo: PRIME-B250M-PLUS

Cpu: I5 6500

2x4GB DDR 4

what about this ones?

or

"Cheapest good enough"
That should say all!
In other words if its to expensive save up until you can afford.

4 minutes ago, Theros said:

It doesn't require 750W, total power consumption would be hardly higher than 400W, it's just that AMD recomends 750W minimum because they think that most 750W+ PSUs would be okay for it (they're wrong). Both of these units are rather bad, again, that one that i've linked is the cheapest unit i can recommend based from these two sites, there's no much choice on one of them so maybe you can link a couple of others so i see if there's something else. But that unit is very good, don't worry.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

"Cheapest good enough"
That should say all!
In other words if its to expensive save up until you can afford.

"Cheapest good enough" as in it's definitely good enough for that GPU, and it's the cheapest of the "good enough" units i've found on these sites. It's a very good unit, no cutting corners here.

Also a good PSU can outlive multiple computers.
Meaning buy new computer you can still use the PSU so you dont have to buy that new.

Also a good PSU can outlive multiple computers.
Meaning buy new computer you can still use the PSU so you dont have to buy that new.

Yep, and that's the case with the PSU i've linked, it's one of the best PSUs on the market.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

It doesn't require 750W, total power consumption would be hardly higher than 400W, it's just that AMD recomends 750W minimum because they think that most 750W+ PSUs would be okay for it (they're wrong). Both of these units are rather bad, again, that one that i've linked is the cheapest unit i can recommend based from these two sites, there's no much choice on one of them so maybe you can link a couple of others so i see if there's something else. But that unit is very good, don't worry.

"Cheapest good enough" as in it's definitely good enough for that GPU, and it's the cheapest of the "good enough" units i've found on these sites. It's a very good unit, no cutting corners here.

Last question:

I read r9 290 need minimum 31A in +12rail....

This BitFenix u recommend only have 30A .... it's ok?!  

edit:

I'm realy noob in PowerSupply's.... never understand 100% how they calculate what we need.... so, sorry for my questions. But i read all what of all of you say with very atention.

44 minutes ago, Theros said:

BitFenix u recommend only have 30A .... it's ok?!

It's multi-rail unit, 30A per rail, four rails, your GPU requires two PCIe rails, so that's 60A total but it's rated ~45A total (12v * 45A = 550W) so it's good.

Edit: actually wait a minute, i'll look on this further. Do you have any other sites you can shop at anyway ?

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's multi-rail unit, 30A per rail, four rails, your GPU requires two PCIe rails, so that's 60A total but it's rated ~45A total (12v * 45A = 550W) so it's good.

Edit: actually wait a minute, i'll look on this further. Do you have any other sites you can shop at anyway ?

im from Portugal, but maybe this site can help you (help me), in this >> site << we search what we are looking for, and that site give us the Cheapest price in all stores:

4 minutes ago, Theros said:

im from Portugal, but maybe this site can help you (help me), in this >> site << we search what we are looking for, and that site give us the Cheapest price in all stores:

Nobody will do 'the work' for you. But if you look in this list get the best tier you can afford!

Nobody will do 'the work' for you. But if you look in this list get the best tier you can afford!

i dont need you do the job for me. I ask for help, and he wanna help me ( and i'm glad ), and the minumum i can make to help him is find one way so he can help me.... 

Ok, based on the review of 650W version, it has 140% OCP on 12V rails, so i think we can expect 550W unit to have configured the same. So 550W unit has only one PCI-e cable, with two connectors, and that's single rail. Now, 30A AMD recommends for R9 290 is about 370W, it ain't gonna consume so much on power average, that's failsafe number to accommodate for transient spikes. 550W unit has exactly 30A limit on paper and since OCP are set higher it'll be definitely good.

9 minutes ago, Theros said:

I'll see if there's smth else.

Bitfenix FG650W for 76 EUR, multirail too but it has two 30A rails (with OCP set to 34A) on two PCI-e power cables, so if it will be unstable using one cable (which i highly doubt, hence my recommendation is 550W version) then you can connect it using two separate cables (and thus separate rails).

Corsair TX650M for 77 EUR, single rail, less trouble so to say, in return for less protection, but it can operate with more noise, Bitfenix is quieter.

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

Thankyou once more for your Big help. I will buy that one Bitfenix FG550W !!! 2 power Suply have exploded but pc is 100% fine.... Let's se now! ;)   

Big hug to you.