So a question about upgrading my GPU..

keenhydra

Current speccs:

CPU: Ryzen 1600x @3.8ghtz

Mainboard: MSI krait X370 

GPU: AMD XFX RX480

RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX 3200

PSU: XFX 650W platinum

So I managed to snipe a 2080Super for black friday and I want to upgrade my rig as soon as I get it. I'm just wondering about two things. 

Most of all, Is my PSU going to be enough for the new GPU to run till at least next payday(two weeks from now) until I can get my hands on a newer 850W PSU?

And I usually upgrade my pc as a whole, with new GPU, CPU and platform. And when I do so I format the PC and do a clean instal on everything. 

Now I was wondering if I can just plump the GPU in there and download the drivers for it without having to backup my PC and do a clean instal on it. Or will that mess stuff up?

Thanks to anyone who will take the time to read and reply! 

5 minutes ago, keenhydra said:

Current speccs:

CPU: Ryzen 1600x @3.8ghtz

Mainboard: MSI krait X370 

GPU: AMD XFX RX480

RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX 3200

PSU: XFX 650W platinum

So I managed to snipe a 2080Super for black friday and I want to upgrade my rig as soon as I get it. I'm just wondering about two things. 

Most of all, Is my PSU going to be enough for the new GPU to run till at least next payday(two weeks from now) until I can get my hands on a newer 850W PSU?

And I usually upgrade my pc as a whole, with new GPU, CPU and platform. And when I do so I format the PC and do a clean instal on everything. 

Now I was wondering if I can just plump the GPU in there and download the drivers for it without having to backup my PC and do a clean instal on it. Or will that mess stuff up?

Thanks to anyone who will take the time to read and reply! 

your psu is enough, you don't need 850w. even on the nvidia site, the recommended system power is 650W. the gpu itself is 250w and your cpu and everything else another 200w, so your max powerdraw is 450W. your 650W psu is good enough.

also, you don't need a fresh windows install for just changing your GPU. wait until you change your motherboard.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

your psu is enough, you don't need 850w. even on the nvidia site, the recommended system power is 650W. the gpu itself is 250w and your cpu and everything else another 200w, so your max powerdraw is 450W. your 650W psu is good enough.

also, you don't need a fresh windows install for just changing your GPU. wait until you change your motherboard.

Thanks! I am looking to upgrade my PSU anyway because of its age and ketchup/mustard cables. But its good to know I can wait with that a bit longer and go a bit lower on the power. 

2 minutes ago, keenhydra said:

Thanks! I am looking to upgrade my PSU anyway because of its age and ketchup/mustard cables. But its good to know I can wait with that a bit longer and go a bit lower on the power. 

yeah go for a 650w/750w corsair txm gold or something

Hi @keenhydra

Unless you have not updated your graphics driver for quite a while and you were only upgrading to a better Nvidia GPU, then you would not need to install any new drivers.

However, you are changing GPU architecture so you will need to uninstall your AMD driver in SAFE mode using DDU and then install the latest Nvidia driver.

Use this tutorial, and FOLLOW Wagnardsoft's instructions closely...here-> Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) Tutorial/Guide

hope this helps ☮️

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I would recommend using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall your current GPU drivers seeing that you are switching manufacturers. You should first uninstall your current driver through Windows Settings or Programs and Features under the Control Panel. Afterwards, use DDU to remove all traces of your old GPU driver and then you can shutdown, remove the old GPU, install the new one, start up and install the latest drivers from the website.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM