i5 4690k and 1070 performace

Xanthus1214

Hi everyone! I have a few questions for my setup. I have an I5 4690k and a 1070 and I'm wondering if my processor is bottlenecking my GPU. I primarily play VR and i notice that a lot of games like Zero Caliber just wont run very well and my oculus rift home loves to lag. I'm pretty sure it's because of my cpu but i know there are a lot more knowledgeable people on here. Hopefully soon i will be able to get a whole new pc, but if that doesn't work out, should i upgrade my processor or my graphics card? I've had friends tell me that my graphics card is the problem and other friends tell me its my cpu. Thank you for your time!

I forgot to add, when playing normal games like gta v task manager says that my cpu and gpu utilization is 100% i haven't looked at what it says when i play vr.

6 minutes ago, Xanthus1214 said:

Hi everyone! I have a few questions for my setup. I have an I5 4690k and a 1070 and I'm wondering if my processor is bottlenecking my GPU. I primarily play VR and i notice that a lot of games like Zero Caliber just wont run very well and my oculus rift home loves to lag. I'm pretty sure it's because of my cpu but i know there are a lot more knowledgeable people on here. Hopefully soon i will be able to get a whole new pc, but if that doesn't work out, should i upgrade my processor or my graphics card? I've had friends tell me that my graphics card is the problem and other friends tell me its my cpu. Thank you for your time!

Your graphics card is pretty good,it is more than enough for VR.

But your CPU is ancient,and doesn't meet the recommended system requirements for Zero Caliber,

If you want to play Zero Caliber you will have to lower the settings or buy a better CPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

20 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Your graphics card is pretty good,it is more than enough for VR.

But your CPU is ancient,and doesn't meet the recommended system requirements for Zero Caliber,

If you want to play Zero Caliber you will have to lower the settings or buy a better CPU.

Thank you! I will be trying to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3800x and a 2080 super soon.

Just now, Xanthus1214 said:

Thank you! I will be trying to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3800x and a 2080 super soon.

The 3800X is just a slightly overclocked 3700X,I had recommend the 3700X instead.

And your 1070 is still a good card,you can continue using it after the system upgrade,and if you want more performance then you can upgrade.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

The 3800X is just a slightly overclocked 3700X,I had recommend the 3700X instead.

And your 1070 is still a good card,you can continue using it after the system upgrade,and if you want more performance then you can upgrade.

I might consider that for saving money, but i'm hoping to use my old PC to get my girlfriend into PC gaming. Thank you for the advice on the processor, i wasn't aware of that.

6 minutes ago, Xanthus1214 said:

I might consider that for saving money, but i'm hoping to use my old PC to get my girlfriend into PC gaming. Thank you for the advice on the processor, i wasn't aware of that.

If your budget can't stretch to a 3700x, the 3600 would still be a significant upgrade as well. Even for me it'd be a big upgrade over my 4790K (though currently swapped for my friends i7 4770 - better for ARK servers)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL