Liquid or Air cooling for my PC?

linttRa

Noticed the Corsair Cooling Hydro H115i PRO RGB on sale for 99€ because of Black Friday, but can't decide whether I should pick it or the Noctua NH-D15 for 109€.

Whats the best choice for my system? And if liquid cooling whats the best config to run?

What are the cons and pros for both?

How about some good alternatives like Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black?

System:

Lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap mounted on the side

Asus Rog Strix x470-F Gaming

Asus Rog Strix 2080 super

Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler (this thing is pretty loud and annoying during temp spikes)

G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16

PSU EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W

Thanks everyone in advance

2 minutes ago, linttRa said:

Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler (this thing is pretty loud and annoying during temp spikes)

You have to adjust a fan curve for these Zen2 CPUs, they have temperature spikes due to small-sized chiplets.

The heat output of the CPU is not high, but the density is high. I'd recommend a good air cooler, it is more than enough, unless you want water cooling for aesthetic reasons. NH-U12S will be enough. However, some of these CPUs and coolers have non-flat contact surfaces, which leads to heat transfer problems with Zen2.

13 minutes ago, 1van said:

You have to adjust a fan curve for these Zen2 CPUs, they have temperature spikes due to small-sized chiplets.

The heat output of the CPU is not high, but the density is high. I'd recommend a good air cooler, it is more than enough, unless you want water cooling for aesthetic reasons. NH-U12S will be enough. However, some of these CPUs and coolers have non-flat contact surfaces, which leads to heat transfer problems with Zen2.

Do you have any advice on how I can adjust the fan curve or a tutorial I could look up to

@linttRaIt is done in UEFI, as described in your motherboard's manual. Or a tool like SpeedFan can be used.

It is easy to do, but hard to explain?

2 hours ago, linttRa said:

Noticed the Corsair Cooling Hydro H115i PRO RGB on sale for 99€ because of Black Friday, but can't decide whether I should pick it or the Noctua NH-D15 for 109€.

Whats the best choice for my system? And if liquid cooling whats the best config to run?

What are the cons and pros for both?

How about some good alternatives like Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black?

System:

Lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap mounted on the side

Asus Rog Strix x470-F Gaming

Asus Rog Strix 2080 super

G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16

PSU EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W

Thanks everyone in advance

Unless its a 360mm rad AIO (the h115i is a 240mm) ,, stick with air.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

58 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Go for the Noctua if you can.

3800X here and it runs silent (beQuiet cooler) even while under load.

What be quiet cooler are you running?

What are your load temps? What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler?

If you want to lessen fan ramping, adjust the fan curve. 

The NH-U12S and NH-D15 don't fit in the PC-O11 Dynamic. There's only 155mm of clearance for the cooler. 

There are still good air cooling options that may fit. Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:12 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What are your load temps? What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler?

If you want to lessen fan ramping, adjust the fan curve. 

The NH-U12S and NH-D15 don't fit in the PC-O11 Dynamic. There's only 155mm of clearance for the cooler. 

There are still good air cooling options that may fit. Where are you shopping / located?

Yeah I realised that later and thinking of returning it then buying something like cooler master h500p mesh to fit in something like noctua nh d15 or dark rock pro 4, because quite honestly I'm not 100% comfortable with liquid coolers.