Windows 10 (surface models) does NOT let you make a local account.

Cruorzy

A little rant so people are aware, this is the second Microsoft surfae i've bought.

And it does not let me make a local user account, it's something stupid they probably did.

Last time i called Microsoft about it and said i've bought a surface, WATCH OUT when you say the word surface they dial you through to the surface department about clearly a windows 10 problem.

Even a Microsoft employee told me this, it's stupid. The surface department said the could not help me ofcourse.

But atleast talking to 5 people for over an hour where 3 people absolutly refused to help me and were kind of being a dick.

I finally got to a person who could help me, which was of a whole different appartment.

Ofcourse i already kinda assumed it was no bug and just a stupid thing some idiot in a nice suite thought of.

The problem is when you get asked for WIFI do not enable wifi while configuring windows, this will make sure it is not possible to make a local account.

Well there is a "workaround" it's really stupid in my opinion. it may only work in some cases

Go to the UEFI Bios and disable WIFI, make sure you tablet is not connected to the network by cable.

Restart and suddenly you can make a local account.

The first time this works, but the Surface pro X does not let you disable wifi, so I have a device I absolutely cannot use.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Just create a new M$ account and switch back to local account after that? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

@xAcid9 refuse to even make a Microsoft account tbh, it's something stupid i don't need and don't wanna keep track off.

It's stupid that you CAN make a local account but not when you already configure wifi.

You have a nice arrow to go back but it just brings you nowhere. Rebooting does not help either.

It lets you configure the keyboard things but it just remembers you enabled WIFI so it goes back to the same page to login/create MS account.

Reset window and not connect to the internet when setting up profile this time?  ?‍♂️

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

You shouldn't even have to disable WiFi entirely, just don't connect to a network while setting Windows up.

This is fine for 1 device, but at my work we gotta do alot more (this is for work)

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

You shouldn't even have to disable WiFi entirely, just don't connect to a network while setting Windows up.

Yes this would be a workaround, but it is plainly stupid. a normal customer don't know about this shit they are pulling.

And are forced to make a microsoft account to just get through the configuration process.

Which is so sneaky and stupid.

Even if a 'normal' not tech person knew of this problem and forgot about it they use wifi and boom stuck, even if they call microsoft they can't do anything for that person then just tell. go spend a day learning how to reinstall windows if you don't want a MS account.

EVEN FUCKING MICROSOFT DID NOT UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM AND ASKED ME TO SETUP REMOTE CONTROL.

I had to explain fucking 10 times that i'm not even in windows yet and still in the configure phase so i can't fucking setup a REMOTE CONTROL.

Once you connect it to wifi during configuring you are fucked if you don't want a Microsoft account.

49 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Yes this would be a workaround, but it is plainly stupid. a normal customer don't know about this shit they are pulling.

And are forced to make a microsoft account to just get through the configuration process.

Yes, there was a thread in News section regarding this and M$ probably will get a lawsuit for this shit. 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Cruorzy said:

A little rant so people are aware, this is the second Microsoft surfae i've bought.

This is has nothing to do with the Surface. There is no "Surface edition of Windows".

And it does not let me make a local user account, it's something stupid they probably did.

Correct. Microsoft change things where only Windows 10 Pro can make a local account at the OOBE setup. You can make a local account if you don't connect to the internet or switch your Microsoft account to a local one after you sign up.

Last time i called Microsoft about it and said i've bought a surface, WATCH OUT when you say the word surface they dial you through to the surface department about clearly a windows 10 problem.

That is correct. You go through Surface support as you pay for that support when you purchase your device.

Even a Microsoft employee told me this, it's stupid. The surface department said the could not help me ofcourse.

But atleast talking to 5 people for over an hour where 3 people absolutly refused to help me and were kind of being a dick.

They are not dicks. Their hands are tied. They are not developers, and going, "Ok we will make a Windows 10 Cruorzy edition".

Also, they are not IT professional. They follow scripts they have on their screen. If your question doesn't fit one of the choices they can pick, then you now you fall on this never ending game of pass, until someone might actually know and willing to go out of the script (which is seen as an issue, because the more critical thing that companies seek is consistent experience, and no "But I was told this by the other guy, and now you tell me it was wrong and didn't knew what he was talking about?!". That is a no no. 

The problem is when you get asked for WIFI do not enable wifi while configuring windows, this will make sure it is not possible to make a local account.

Yup.

Go to the UEFI Bios and disable WIFI, make sure you tablet is not connected to the network by cable.

Or just enter your wireless password at the OOBE setup.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, Cruorzy said:

This is fine for 1 device, but at my work we gotta do alot more (this is for work)

Which is so sneaky and stupid.

Even if a 'normal' not tech person knew of this problem and forgot about it they use wifi and boom stuck, even if they call microsoft they can't do anything for that person then just tell. go spend a day learning how to reinstall windows if you don't want a MS account.

EVEN FUCKING MICROSOFT DID NOT UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM AND ASKED ME TO SETUP REMOTE CONTROL.

I had to explain fucking 10 times that i'm not even in windows yet and still in the configure phase so i can't fucking setup a REMOTE CONTROL.

Once you connect it to wifi during configuring you are fucked if you don't want a Microsoft account.

"Pro tip": when setting up windows deny simply every option they give you,  (except setting up an user account ofc) 

No, no, no,no, no...  It's really not that hard! :)

i understand this is (seemingly) a specific surface problem,  but this still applies for any other windows installation,  you never know what evil new stuff they might have implemented so why risk it? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think this has been a thing since the last creators update. Im not sure because I stopped using WIndows. But I remember that there was a post in the news section of the fourm discussing this issue. Seems as long as you dont connect to the internet, OR put the MS account credentials in worng so many times, it will give you the option. At least from what I remember. This is Microsoft wanting more control as usual. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 11/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, GoodBytes said:

This is has nothing to do with the Surface. There is no "Surface edition of Windows".

No shit never said there was, just have my 3rd surface coming in with this bullshit. just ordered a new laptop with w10 pro and everything went fine.

Correct. Microsoft change things where only Windows 10 Pro can make a local account at the OOBE setup. You can make a local account if you don't connect to the internet or switch your Microsoft account to a local one after you sign up.

I know that was the whole conclusion thanks for reminding me.

That is correct. You go through Surface support as you pay for that support when you purchase your device.

Surface support line says its windows 10 and put you right back to windows 10 support who are eager to put you through to surface support when you mention you got a surface.

Never ending loop.

They are not dicks. Their hands are tied. They are not developers, and going, "Ok we will make a Windows 10 Cruorzy edition".

Also, they are not IT professional. They follow scripts they have on their screen. If your question doesn't fit one of the choices they can pick, then you now you fall on this never ending game of pass, until someone might actually know and willing to go out of the script (which is seen as an issue, because the more critical thing that companies seek is consistent experience, and no "But I was told this by the other guy, and now you tell me it was wrong and didn't knew what he was talking about?!". That is a no no. 

The first 3 guys were dicks, and offered no help at all. they just wanted to hang up and be done with me. While i payed for something and require a solution to go through.

But seems like you spoke the exact same guys, and they were nice to you. Thanks for explaining my experience.

the 4th was a great guy and actually tried something, even offered me to email me and keep me up to date. Gave me the news they are not changing the current "problem" but HE DID HIS JOB.

the rest is kinda useless to react to.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, Mark Kaine said:

"Pro tip": when setting up windows deny simply every option they give you,  (except setting up an user account ofc) 

No, no, no,no, no...  It's really not that hard! :)

i understand this is (seemingly) a specific surface problem,  but this still applies for any other windows installation,  you never know what evil new stuff they might have implemented so why risk it? 

True but it is so sad for the normal user, who thinks it might be easy to setup wifi now while it pops up.

Little do they know about this nasty catch behind it :)

On 11/30/2019 at 4:44 PM, Donut417 said:

I think this has been a thing since the last creators update. Im not sure because I stopped using WIndows. But I remember that there was a post in the news section of the fourm discussing this issue. Seems as long as you dont connect to the internet, OR put the MS account credentials in worng so many times, it will give you the option. At least from what I remember. This is Microsoft wanting more control as usual. 

Wish i could say switching would bother them, but sadly it does not. This is the stuff i really don't like.

It is just nasty.

2 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

True but it is so sad for the normal user, who thinks it might be easy to setup wifi now while it pops up.

Little do they know about this nasty catch behind it

I agree,  it's pretty scummy. But on the other hand every user should really only fall once for it. 

Fool me once shame on you,  fool me twice shame on me!  as they say ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Cruorzy said:
On 11/30/2019 at 10:44 AM, Donut417 said:

Wish i could say switching would bother them, but sadly it does not. This is the stuff i really don't like.

It does bother them a bit. I remember when they had a 96% market share. Now it’s below 90%. It will take some time but they will keep hemorrhaging users. 

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

So what's the problem with creating a throwaway Microsoft account and converting or making a new local account later?

Its for a business not for him. You try making 25 Microsoft accounts and converting them. Its a pain in the ass. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Its for a business not for him. You try making 25 Microsoft accounts and converting them. Its a pain in the ass. 

Businesses uses Pro or Enterprise, and uses Domain joined account, and devices are installed via imaging. So 0 problem

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Businesses uses Pro or Enterprise, and uses Domain joined account, and devices are installed via imaging. So 0 problem

Well the OP is having issues. And claims its for work. SO.... theres a problem......... 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:47 AM, Cruorzy said:

If this is for work, your IT department should be able to segment off an IT/setup network so it has no public internet until your devices are setup, or better yet, they should be running SYSPREP with an autounattend.xml file to pre-configure your machines on the domain. If none of that makes sense, either the business is too small for an Active Directory server, or has a really broken IT department.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 hours ago, kirashi said:

If this is for work, your IT department should be able to segment off an IT/setup network so it has no public internet until your devices are setup, or better yet, they should be running SYSPREP with an autounattend.xml file to pre-configure your machines on the domain. If none of that makes sense, either the business is too small for an Active Directory server, or has a really broken IT department.

For a small environment this sounds like too much, i should be able to simply open up the laptop make a offline account and boom.

The computers will not be linked to the domain, these are stand alone laptops and we are pretty free when it comes to the user actually using the device.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Just nope, glad you still try to tell me how my situation is.

Also not looking for a solution because sadly i work around this stupidity of Microsoft now, I just find it really stupid that some normal user will buy a device and get forced to do this. The surface i bought could be bought by any normal user.

But thanks for most of you giving input! like I said it was a rant and hopefully some people read this that dind't know about this nasty way of them forcing something upon you.

3 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Also not looking for a solution because sadly i work around this stupidity of Microsoft now, I just find it really stupid that some normal user will buy a device and get forced to do this. The surface i bought could be bought by any normal user.

But thanks for most of you giving input! like I said it was a rant and hopefully some people read this that dind't know about this nasty way of them forcing something upon you.

If you don't want help, then post under Status Update next time.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, GoodBytes said:

If you don't want help, then post under Status Update next time.

I wanted help, a better solution. but specially your comments are kinda useless so more towards you.

Should have said, not looking for a direct solution. But maybe 'better' not so time consuming workarounds. Because we all know Microsoft does not give a shit anyway.