M.2 SSD no longer detected by windows or BIOS, but it was working fine before

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,
7 minutes ago, FelipeG said:

Thanks for the reply, i have the Sabrent rocket m.2 2280 SSD, it says pcie gen3 x 4. If i update the bios and it still doesn't recognize, can i assume it's dead?

Yeah, I would think so. But I would try it in another slot first, as it could be the m.2 on the mobo that died maybe... just check to be sure. Also, can put another m.2 drive in the slot the "dead" drive is in, to see if that works. So could swap over the boot and sabrent drives to check.

If still no dice, I would contact the seller to see what they say, and to get an RMA ticket if needed.

Hi everyone, i recently built my first PC, everything went great and i've been using it for almost 2 months now. The issue i'm having is with a Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD i bought last week, i installed it the first time and it worked just fine, i was playing some games i had installed on it and everything was fine (i was planning to use this drive just for storage); but yesterday i was about to copy some files to the Sabrent SSD and it was not showing up. i checked on the disk management and it's not showing up there, NZXT cam doesn't detect it either, and no luck with Samsung Magician either. i reset the PC and enter the BIOS and it shows N/A on that M.2 slot. i tried unplugging the SSD and plugging it back in but that didn't work either. I'm starting to think that it has died, is it possible? I was also thinking that maybe i should do a clear CMOS but i don't know if that would be ok? 

Thank you in advance!

My PC specs are:

-Windows 10 64bit

-Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Mobo (BIOS 1.0.0.3 i think, it has the factory BIOS)

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (i've tried overclocking but i use it on stock settings most of the time)

-MSI Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB GPU

-Corsair LPX Vengance 4x8GB RAM 

-Samsung 970 EVO 500GB Boot drive

-Samsung EVO 860 1TB Storage

-Toshiba and WD Storage HDD

-2 RGB led strips ;) 

Usually when this sort of thing happens it's because someone installs a SSD/HDD into a sata port that disables the M.2 socket. However, with your board being an x570, that's not likely to be the culprit. I'd say that you've done all the necessary testing to be able to make the assumption that your drive is dead. I for one have never heard of Sabrent and am a little hesitant to believe that with an issue happening this soon that it isn't just a cheap POS drive anyways. 

You said that you've had it for 2 months? I'd try and either flat out return it or get a replacement through warranty if you can. 

Screw it out and take it out and put it in again

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM

I'd update the BIOS to latest, then check again. Sabrent is a fairly well known brand, IIRC they were one of the first to have a PCIex4 NVME drive too... which version is yours?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I'd update the BIOS to latest, then check again. Sabrent is a fairly well known brand, IIRC they were one of the first to have a PCIex4 NVME drive too... which version is yours?

Thanks for the reply, i have the Sabrent rocket m.2 2280 SSD, it says pcie gen3 x 4. If i update the bios and it still doesn't recognize, can i assume it's dead?

3 hours ago, Pumas_committed_bottleneck said:

Screw it out and take it out and put it in again

Already did that

3 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Usually when this sort of thing happens it's because someone installs a SSD/HDD into a sata port that disables the M.2 socket. However, with your board being an x570, that's not likely to be the culprit. I'd say that you've done all the necessary testing to be able to make the assumption that your drive is dead. I for one have never heard of Sabrent and am a little hesitant to believe that with an issue happening this soon that it isn't just a cheap POS drive anyways. 

You said that you've had it for 2 months? I'd try and either flat out return it or get a replacement through warranty if you can. 

Thanks, yes I'm thinking that if a bios update doesn't work, then it died for no reason it seems

7 minutes ago, FelipeG said:

Yeah, I would think so. But I would try it in another slot first, as it could be the m.2 on the mobo that died maybe... just check to be sure. Also, can put another m.2 drive in the slot the "dead" drive is in, to see if that works. So could swap over the boot and sabrent drives to check.

If still no dice, I would contact the seller to see what they say, and to get an RMA ticket if needed.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I was thinking on doing that, changing the drives to see if the other one works, but it's my first time ever using m.2.. i know it's a stupid question maybe but can there be issues with the m.2 boot drive if i plug it on the "dead" slot or i should expect it to work with 0 issues or extra configuration? I would think it's completely ok but idk why I'm hesitant

20 hours ago, FelipeG said:

I was thinking on doing that, changing the drives to see if the other one works, but it's my first time ever using m.2.. i know it's a stupid question maybe but can there be issues with the m.2 boot drive if i plug it on the "dead" slot or i should expect it to work with 0 issues or extra configuration? I would think it's completely ok but idk why I'm hesitant

Just swap the drives around in the slots, then when the PC POSTs, press F11 and choose the samsung as the boot device.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 1 year later...

i have the same issue with 2 tb sabrent rocket and they are outright refusing to allow me to RMA it after trying to heavilly scrutinising my hardware and such

i have an rtx 3070, evga supernova g2 750w, ryzen 5 3600 and MSI Mag b550m mortar wifi

• 6 months later...

I have an 8tb Rocket q m.2 

it worked in my usb 4.0 ACASIS in closure until the main BGA chip thermally cracked its solder joints, 12 minutes of sustained data transfer is probably more than ACASIS had in mind. After cloning with the Acronis True Image for Sabrent software (which was not easy because the ACASIS inclosure would not stay connected unless it was literally ice cold with actual ice.) the Sabrent ssd did not work in my ASUS zenbook pro duo. 

so I read some where that windows bit locker prevents some clone software like clonzilla from properly cloning, so I spent 3 hours decrypting my 1tb originall m.2 ssd and cloned again with Acronis to the Sabrent in the ACASIS. Same result boot cycle but never made it to OS. 

next I got the Sabrent brand offline clone device and cloned my 1tb source to the 8tb Sabrent target. Nice and fast clone and everything looked like it was there but once installed in my ASUS zen book pro duo it was like nothing was there, it still would not boot up. So I put it in an older ASUS and it did boot up! And my original m.2 drives would boot up in both ASUS laptops!

so then I tried windows recovery usb on the newer zen book pro duo still did not work.

then I made an image to a spinning rust 8tb drive 20 hours later I tried restoring image the Sabrent installed in the zen book pro duo. This did not seem to want to work but I thought that the spinning rust stalled the process because it whent to sleep to quickly in the recovery environment so I found that if i clicked through the options quickly enough it would start the image recovery. After another 20 hours it booted up but was very slow, and my external hdd had been wiped out with the image applied to itself and I think I lost all my other data on the spinning rust back up drive. 

super upset now I never knew that the target disk could be the source disk. And it was not obvious to me that it was.

in S.M.A.R.T code as per cristal disk info the Sabrent is 95% good and some how has 4000 power cycles.

i also had some software flash a message “bad drive” and “corrupted smart...” what really puzzles me is why on earth can’t my newer ASUS work with this Sabrent 8tb m.2 ssd while my older ASUS laptop can and any computer can access this drive through an external inclosure, even the flaky ACASIS inclosure?!? 

the older ASUS only has two lanes to the m.2 socket on the motherboard so all transfer speeds are cut in half but it still works. 

is the Sabrent drawing to much power from the motherboard in the newer ASUS because it as four lanes to the m.2 socket on its motherboard?

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2019 at 6:19 AM, FelipeG said:

Hi everyone, i recently built my first PC, everything went great and i've been using it for almost 2 months now. The issue i'm having is with a Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD i bought last week, i installed it the first time and it worked just fine, i was playing some games i had installed on it and everything was fine (i was planning to use this drive just for storage); but yesterday i was about to copy some files to the Sabrent SSD and it was not showing up. i checked on the disk management and it's not showing up there, NZXT cam doesn't detect it either, and no luck with Samsung Magician either. i reset the PC and enter the BIOS and it shows N/A on that M.2 slot. i tried unplugging the SSD and plugging it back in but that didn't work either. I'm starting to think that it has died, is it possible? I was also thinking that maybe i should do a clear CMOS but i don't know if that would be ok? 

Thank you in advance!

My PC specs are:

-Windows 10 64bit

-Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Mobo (BIOS 1.0.0.3 i think, it has the factory BIOS)

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600x (i've tried overclocking but i use it on stock settings most of the time)

-MSI Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB GPU

-Corsair LPX Vengance 4x8GB RAM 

-Samsung 970 EVO 500GB Boot drive

-Samsung EVO 860 1TB Storage

-Toshiba and WD Storage HDD

-2 RGB led strips ;) 

this is happening to me rn also it dissapeared randomly. i havent even had my pc for a year yet. when i first built my pc i was screensharing and my friend was so shook i had one drive. i was so confused cause i knew i bought 2 ssds but one wasnt showing. it showed again randomly so i forgot about it, now its happening again.