Buying a new Laptop. Hp vs Lenovo.

I'm looking at the Hp Omen t17 with 16gb ram and 512ssd, 144hz screen, with a 1660ti and the Lenovo X1 Extreme gen 2 with the 500nit HDR screen and the lowest memory possible to upgrade later (saves about $370) with the 1650 max q.spacer.png

new-omen-17-shop&fbclid=IwAR2zkapf19wuG6https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/20QVCTO1WWENUS0/customize?fbclid=IwAR04djDVom3ZvFjfNw8WUxXTakDxfxZI2dtMMLUTMjeNwobbMQSqxxm-bD0

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop-17t-7lg51av-1?jumpid=cp_r12135_us%2Fen%2Fpsg%2Fgaming_omen%2Flaptops%2Fnew-omen-17-shop&fbclid=IwAR2zkapf19wuG6t4vjPaPqN4wT2wHV8esM_UUR5UsrY-wyF-IHgb_cQAYoc

So I'm trying to decide weather the portability is worth it. Screen size, 144hz vs 60hz, 300nits vs 500nits, graphical power, 1650 max q vs 1660ti , battery life. One thing I do know is that after using this  https://www.pcmag.com/review/266527/sony-vaio-vpc-f226fm-b for the pass ten years the keyboard on the Hp feels better to me. Also price, the Omen would be around $1300 vs X1 with upgrades $1770 that's a hefty mark up for whatever reason.

What would you get? Why?

You're comparing a consumer gaming laptop to an enterprise productivity one, two different ballgames.

Lenovo costs more because they're built better, and built to last. They markup basically boils down to the fact that a Thinkpad will more likely still be working in a decade, where an HP will not.

For gaming, which I imagine is your goal(?), the HP is objectively better in literally every way other than battery life. For literally anything other than gaming? Thinkpad all the way.

Also, spend some money on the CPU on the X1 Extreme. It is NOT socketed like most older laptops. What you get is what you get, unless you plan to buy a whole new motherboard when your 4 core CPU feels sluggish.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SenKa said:

You're comparing a consumer gaming laptop to an enterprise productivity one, two different ballgames.

Lenovo costs more because they're built better, and built to last. They markup basically boils down to the fact that a Thinkpad will more likely still be working in a decade, where an HP will not.

For gaming, which I imagine is your goal(?), the HP is objectively better in literally every way other than battery life. For literally anything other than gaming? Thinkpad all the way.

Err, no.

The HP EliteBooks are built like tanks.  The new Thinkpads are pretty average in reliability.  Fans of the Thinkpad line have started moving to other laptops ever since Lenovo took over from IBM.

13 minutes ago, Mmynameistaken said:

I wouldn't recommend HP or Lenovo. Both have general poor quality and poor support.

Lenovo used to be a good option, but they've been getting worse over the years, and some stuff they do is pretty shitty. (Tried charging me like $80 to send me a copy of the factory image for my Yoga 710-15IKB and claimed it can't be downloaded, even though they have downloads for it. Those downloads can only be used once per serial number though, and I had used it a few months prior but lost the files. Also, that same laptop is physically falling apart after only about three years because Lenovo's product design is crap. They thought using glue to attach a maybe 2cm square of metal for the hinge to the back panel of the LCD without any actual fasteners was a good idea...)

Check out some of Dell's G3, G5, and G7 lines. They've got some solid stuff there. Solidly built, reasonably priced, powerful, 

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

There is a reason HP stands for "Has Problems" or "Horrible Product"

And Lenovo has a nasty reputation of building spyware into their system.

Buy Dell, or Asus, or Acer, or Gateway, but don't buy HP and sure as shit don't buy Lenovo.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

There is a reason HP stands for "Has Problems" or "Horrible Product"

And Lenovo has a nasty reputation of building spyware into their system.

Buy Dell, or Asus, or Acer, or Gateway, but don't buy HP and sure as shit don't buy Lenovo.

HP, Lenovo, and Dell's business series are built decently, however, you always run the risk of receiving a lemon if you don't manufacturer the system yourself. That's where I will agree that the support you receive after sales can very greatly depending on the warranty/support you purchase, along with the support agent you talk to. (This is why it pays to know what support avenue works best for each company - for example, Dell's phone support is so-so, but their social media contact methods are top-notch.)

Any system (hardware or software) you don't manufacturer yourself should be assumed to contain spyware - this is not specific to Lenovo. Why? Because unless you developed the silicon & software yourself (or at the very least have access to analyze the source code), you have no guarantee to know if the code your device is running isn't doing anything unwanted.

For servers & desktops, I don't have any specific recommendations because there are far too many manufacturers & methods to buy or build a system that works best for each person's individual needs. For laptops though, I cannot recommend ASUS, Acer/Gateway, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. as they don't publish service manuals for their machines like HP, Lenovo, and Dell do, making repairs or general maintenance a game of roulette as to whether you'll break your system taking it apart.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Buy Dell, or Asus, or Acer, or Gateway

Wouldn't touch Acer with a 10' pole, unless you're a fan of incredibly cheap and shitty quality plastic being used for literally everything. (Wouldn't surprise me if they've started using plastic screws...)

Gateway still makes computers?

Dell is probably the only laptop manufacturer that I can recommend.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Err, no.

The HP EliteBooks are built like tanks.  The new Thinkpads are pretty average in reliability.  Fans of the Thinkpad line have started moving to other laptops ever since Lenovo took over from IBM.

Is he looking at an Elitebook? No? Didn't think so.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 hours ago, Mmynameistaken said:

What would you get? Why?

Location? Budget? Usage? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

Location? Budget? Usage? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Michigan, Not enough, College/light gaming, My current computer weighs 6.5 pounds. I carry it in my backpack, I don't care. Hp ClAiMs, claims, 5 hours with the 1660ti. Lenovo claims 12.5 hours, I watch a review on it, they only got 6.5 hours so I'm looking for an outlet anyways. On that note either would be better than the 1 hour unplugged time I get with this thing.

I would take HP's support/warranty over Lenovo's any day. Not to mention how much more widely available their parts are if needed.

It seems that most people who whine about HP being bad are referencing experiences with $200-$300 junk. The reality is that any $200-$300 notebook is going to suck, regardless of brand.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Wouldn't touch Acer with a 10' pole, unless you're a fan of incredibly cheap and shitty quality plastic being used for literally everything. (Wouldn't surprise me if they've started using plastic screws...)

Gateway still makes computers?

Dell is probably the only laptop manufacturer that I can recommend.

My point was, I'd take any of those I listed over an HP or Lenovo any day.

I work for a gov't institution. *Anything* Lenovo is banned from use/purchase there.

We use "enterprise quality" HP systems. Total shit. Build quality, as well as the parts inside, are the cheapest junk they can make boot and shove out the door.

I agree with you, Dell if you must buy a name-brand system

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for a gov't institution. *Anything* Lenovo is banned from use/purchase there.

We use "enterprise quality" HP systems. Total shit. Build quality, as well as the parts inside, are the cheapest junk they can make boot and shove out the door.

I have seen tons of recent Dell laptops with random hardware level failures, like Ethernet and WiFi going AWOL.  Replace the WiFi card, no joy, the slot or PCH has failed in some way.

Most systems are really made in the same manufacturing plants with similar parts.  The final assembly may be done somewhere else, but all the parts are generally the same quality minus actual design flaws.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:03 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Why is Lenovo banned in your work place?

29 minutes ago, Mmynameistaken said:

Why is Lenovo banned in your work place?

Superfish and persistent trust issues with the BIOS and other embedded systems.