Ryzen 7 3700X high temps with a 360mm AIO

So I've upgraded from the Raith cooler that it comes with. I had planned to originally but accidentally bought a 280mm rad (no love for case). Anyways, I've got a modest overclock on it at 4300MHz and it is reaching 88c during Cinebench R20. Hell even when just set with the Dragon Center it was resting between 37c and 42c. With that big of a radiator I just don't see how. My son's Ryzen 5 3600 I got to 4400MHz all core and it barely toped 71c under load with a 240mm rad. Is it the thermal past that came with it? BTW the radiator isn't getting hot. I would expect that at least though I can hear the water flowing when it starts.

So I have a few questions

1) Do I have a bad cooler?

2) Do I have just a hot running chip?

3) Are these temps okay?

4) Would a different thermal past than the one the TermalTake 360mm Flo rad came with help?

Note: I also tried loosening the block momentarily and wiggling it around to make sure the paste was spread evenly to not much help.

Here is under load from CPUZ after about 20 minutes.

image.thumb.png.631cfe5277dd4ff5db4e48213ec222ee.png

10 minutes ago, AcesHidden said:

So I've upgraded from the Raith cooler that it comes with. I had planned to originally but accidentally bought a 280mm rad (no love for case). Anyways, I've got a modest overclock on it at 4300MHz and it is reaching 84c during Cinebench R20. Hell even when just set with the Dragon Center it was resting between 37c and 42c. With that big of a radiator I just don't see how. My son's Ryzen 5 3600 I got to 4400MHz all core and it barely toped 71c under load with a 240mm rad. Is it the thermal past that came with it? BTW the radiator isn't getting hot. I would expect that at least though I can hear the water flowing when it starts.

The chip is so small that you cant get the heat out of it efficiently (the main problem with smaller process nodes).  The silicon itself is a thermal insulator at those power densities.

The 3600 has more "dark" silicon, thus a lower power density.

I believe a six core is more overclockable than an 8 core.

I have the 2600 and it does not go over 70C under load. I do not overclock. Ambient temp maxes at 35C atm. I'm still learning/exploring ryzen technology. I wonder if your manual overclock is doing better than using PBO?

Overclocking was much simpler when there was a thing called the front side bus. We get a few different things to play with on the ryzen chips.

1 minute ago, Hugh54321 said:

I believe a six core is more overclockable than an 8 core.

I have the 2600 and it does not go over 70C under load. I do not overclock. Ambient temp maxes at 35C atm. I'm still learning/exploring ryzen technology. I wonder if your manual overclock is doing better than using PBO?

Overclocking was much simpler when there was a thing called the front side bus. We get a few different things to play with on the ryzen chips.

Overclocking was simpler when there was only a multiplier.

I figured it out (hint: it's the factory motherboard voltage). See: 

On 11/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, AcesHidden said:

So I've upgraded from the Raith cooler that it comes with. I had planned to originally but accidentally bought a 280mm rad (no love for case). Anyways, I've got a modest overclock on it at 4300MHz and it is reaching 88c during Cinebench R20. Hell even when just set with the Dragon Center it was resting between 37c and 42c. With that big of a radiator I just don't see how. My son's Ryzen 5 3600 I got to 4400MHz all core and it barely toped 71c under load with a 240mm rad. Is it the thermal past that came with it? BTW the radiator isn't getting hot. I would expect that at least though I can hear the water flowing when it starts.

So I have a few questions

1) Do I have a bad cooler?

2) Do I have just a hot running chip?

3) Are these temps okay?

4) Would a different thermal past than the one the TermalTake 360mm Flo rad came with help?

Note: I also tried loosening the block momentarily and wiggling it around to make sure the paste was spread evenly to not much help.

Here is under load from CPUZ after about 20 minutes.

image.thumb.png.631cfe5277dd4ff5db4e48213ec222ee.png

While the 3700X and 3800X are good chips they are somewhat pointless in the AMD stack since they almost come pre overclocked, thus it's no wonder why your 3700X runs hot.  Personally I never felt the need to overclock modern AMD chips since the gains are pretty minimal.

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

38 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

While the 3700X and 3800X are good chips they are somewhat pointless in the AMD stack since they almost come pre overclocked, thus it's no wonder why your 3700X runs hot.  Personally I never felt the need to overclock modern AMD chips since the gains are pretty minimal.

^ See post above ^

Actually I was able to eke quite a bit out of an all core overclock.

1 minute ago, AcesHidden said:

^ See post above ^

Actually I was able to eke quite a bit out of an all core overclock.

ok but at the cost of temps

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

Not sure, what is your voltage set at?  I run 1.325V, which is recommended safe overclock and it runs cooler under-load by about 4-5C, about same at idle as stock, but if you are running something crazy like 1.35+ turn that crap down regardless of if its your problem. 

Honestly you can likely get better performance out of BIOS update with 1.0.0.4 AGESA then you can out of any overclock, if that is available for your board just update to that, and could fix any random issues you may be having in bios as well.  Only get it if its a official release though, don't bother with the weird German Websites pre-released ones (if you don't know what im on about with weird German website, dont ask).