Should i swap my HyperX Cloud Alphas for a pair of Audio Technicas?

CrispyFreshEthan

So, i have a pair of Cloud Alphas, and a friend who would be interested in buying them, i was thinking about selling them for a pair of ATH-M40X or M50X, so i wanted to know from anyone who has experience with these headphones, is the switch worth it, or should i stay with the Alphas? and if you think i should switch, should i get the 40s or the 50s? I like some punchy but not overpowering bass. Clear highs, which i feel like the Alphas are lacking a bit. Also, i dont care about the lack of a built in mic on the Audio Technicas because i have a seperate mic setup.

I've had the M30's in the past, which were excellent for the money. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. HyperX headsets aren't really meant for great sound quality. The ATs will be a pretty big step up.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've had the M30's in the past

what did you think of the comfort on the M30s?

If your gaming I really wouldn't reccomend their general audio technica their lack of soundstage and the m50 's lack of soundstage and separation don't really help rather impede your experience. I would reccomend getting akg k371 , DT 770, cooler master MH 751.  If your into open backs PC 37x, hd58x, DT 880 ,dt990 he 4xx are all  options for step ups to what you have now

4 hours ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

what did you think of the comfort on the M30s?

They were pretty good. The "s" models you're looking at I believe have the swiveling ear cups, so they should be even better.

Depends on the size of your ears though, they are on the smaller size cup wise, so you might feel some pressure after a while that way.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 hours ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

So, i have a pair of Cloud Alphas, and a friend who would be interested in buying them, i was thinking about selling them for a pair of ATH-M40X or M50X, so i wanted to know from anyone who has experience with these headphones, is the switch worth it, or should i stay with the Alphas? and if you think i should switch, should i get the 40s or the 50s? I like some punchy but not overpowering bass. Clear highs, which i feel like the Alphas are lacking a bit. Also, i dont care about the lack of a built in mic on the Audio Technicas because i have a seperate mic setup.

after readin your requests you really don't want m50x's  they have punchy bass but sorta muddy and overpowers mids and they have very sharp sorta shrill highs.  and the 40's are closer to what you may like they just don't have that much soundstage or bass it's a relatively neutral headphone

I have the M40X and a lot of other options like the ones @rice guru mentioned in his post will have much better soundstage. The M series aren't very comfortable for long sessions without upgrading the pads. For gaming, I wouldn't recommend the M40X definitely not the M50X for a gamer. I would suggest saving up around 150-200$ and getting headphones that are comfortable with good soundstage, comfort and fidelity

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

I would reccomend getting akg k371 , DT 770, cooler master MH 751.  If your into open backs PC 37x, hd58x, DT 880 ,dt990 he 4xx are all  options for step ups to what you have now

Based on a sound test, i think the akg k371 are a bit muddy, not a big fan.

The HD58x and HE4xx are a bit too much out of my price range,

but the DT 770 seem pretty good though, but is the a difference in sound between the 80 and 250ohm varients?

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

after readin your requests you really don't want m50x's  they have punchy bass but sorta muddy and overpowers mids and they have very sharp sorta shrill highs.  and the 40's are closer to what you may like they just don't have that much soundstage or bass it's a relatively neutral headphone

yeah i would probably pick the M40X out of the two then

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

If your gaming I really wouldn't reccomend their general audio technica their lack of soundstage and the m50 's lack of soundstage and separation don't really help rather impede your experience.

im no audio proffesional, but wouldnt imaging be more important for gaming, specificaly pinpointing sounds, in competitive games. i understand a good soundstage makes you actualy feel like you are there for when your just enjoying a game, right? like i said though, im no pro so could be wrong.

8 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

The M series aren't very comfortable for long sessions without upgrading the pads. For gaming, I wouldn't recommend the M40X definitely not the M50X for a gamer. I would suggest saving up around 150-200$ and getting headphones that are comfortable with good soundstage, comfort and fidelity

yeah comfort is very important to me so i will consider that.

The imaging isn't the best on the M40X either. Have a look at some of the Sennheiser and I understand the some of the AKGs have great imaging and good bass and mids for FPS games. Look at HardwareCanucks reviews for details on how the headphones perform in gaming. They cover comfort and imaging decently but supplement this with other websites or videos for other uses like music.

1 minute ago, Tarun10 said:

The imaging isn't the best on the M40X either. Have a look at some of the Sennheiser and I understand the some of the AKGs have great imaging and good bass and mids for FPS games. 

ok, ill have a look, thanks

1 minute ago, CrispyFreshEthan said:

Based on a sound test, i think the akg k371 are a bit muddy, not a big fan.

The HD58x and HE4xx are a bit too much out of my price range,

but the DT 770 seem pretty good though, but is the a difference in sound between the 80 and 250ohm varients?

Yeah people are bit split on the k371. Some people think it's the best they've ever heard or hate it. 

The 770 80 ohm is a bit more  bass and more treble and  easier to drive. The harder to drive 250 ohm is harder to drive but a more pleasant headphone. If you do t have an amp I would reccomend the custom one pro plus instead of the lower impedance 770's as those have more pleasant tuning than the low impedance 770's at least to my ears

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The harder to drive 250 ohm is harder to drive but a more pleasant headphone.

Could you recomend a Budget amp?

Just now, CrispyFreshEthan said:

Could you recomend a Budget amp?

Fiio k5 pro but if you want cheaper the fx audio dac x6 on high gain should be able to handle it