Is changing core voltage(%) for gpu safe in msi afterburner?

220VoltsallCore

Will it decrease life of gpu?

How much performance i could gain by making it to +100 from 0 in gtx 1650.

Voltage sliders now a days are more placebo than actually effective like it use to be. It wont hurt it and likely wont see much of anything.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It is save as long as you have adequate cooling and keep your temps In check. The OC Limits are made by Nvidia and they wont let you increase the voltage to much. 

How much will you gain? This strongly depends on your specific chip and luck you had with it (silicon lottery). Also only increasing voltage wont help you with performance. You will have to increase the core and memory clock. Pushing more voltage will enable you to do more core and on some cards also mem clock. Perf increases depend form low one digit numbers to 10% or even more on some cards and use cases.

Pretty decent tutorial 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

It is save as long as you have adequate cooling and keep your temps In check. The OC Limits are made by Nvidia and they wont let you increase the voltage to much. 

How much will you gain? This strongly depends on your specific chip and luck you had with it (silicon lottery). Also only increasing voltage wont help you with performance. You will have to increase the core and memory clock. Pushing more voltage will enable you to do more core and on some cards also mem clock. Perf increases depend form low one digit numbers to 10% or even more on some cards and use cases.

Pretty decent tutorial 

I gave 150+ on memory and core

Beyond it causes artifacts in msi kombustor 

So i stopped at 150

6 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

I gave 150+ on memory and core

Beyond it causes artifacts in msi kombustor 

So i stopped at 150

Okay, did you boost the Voltage to max? How are the Temps?

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Okay, did you boost the Voltage to max? How are the Temps?

lot of comments in youtube

say it will damage card

i am scared

someones coment:

irst of all, if someone completely new to OC would watch this, they wouldn't understand it completely and broke the GPU, or freak out and say I don't want artifacts or crashing and thing like these. first of all, the AMD GPUs sliders work differently from the Nvidia GPUs... if you have an AMD GPU, then the sliders will show the actual core clock/memory/voltage, but if you have a Nvidia GPU, then the sliders will show what frequencies/voltage you add second: don't just bump the voltage all the way up, there might be people that will think: "oh, the benchmark crashed, but I did the same, oh maybe the voltage should be all the way up" well, no... you have to say that the voltage kills first EVERY component and you should warn people about this, you have to say: t his GTX 1060 would normally last 6 years (I'm not sure, just giving an example) but with all that voltage, it will last only 3-4 years...so the safest OC is when the voltage is stock, yes, you will not get better scores, but the GPU will last longer (this depends on the money you have, if once 2 years you buy a new GPU, then play with it) third: the way you OC is not completely bad, but you should improve it... use the keyboard to change the values, not the mouse lol and work slow, this is important, if you want to get the best out of it, then take your time and find just the right frequency, add +50mhz on the clock, bench, if unstable: raise voltage (higher temperatures) or -10/20mhz until stable then move on memory, you just added 300mhz to the memory...no, too much, to agressive, add +100mhz, bench, if unstable, -50mhz until stable (you can also go on that right spot and do like -10mhz everytime, that's why all the tutorials say something like: play with it) then stop (because you just adjusted the voltage earlier at the core clock stage) short version: want more clock? add more voltage, be aware of high temperatures! test it, play with it until you find the right spot! the crash is completely normal, there will be no damage to the GPU, think like this: the crash means that you put the GPU do what it can't :) so it crashed !THE ONLY DAMAGE IS DONE BY VOLTAGE AND HIGH TEMPERATURES! you did a good thing in this tutorial, but without explaining it: moved the temperatures and power limit to max, but you have to specify why: the GPU will never reach to that temperature (at least you use too much voltage with shit cooling) so it gives you enough space to OC without limits (well, as you see, there is a limit, @90°C, but as I said, it will not get there) Now, Bryan, this is how the tutorial should have been done, again, no hate, I love your vids, but I was expecting more from you, so I made my own tutorial in comments :) sry :) but, again, tutorial, so only the people that want to learn to OC would watch this, so you have to explain better in the future! Thanks bro! Cheers!

Show less

it wont hurt your card. With the turing architecture, it will literally do little, to nothing. Nvidia hard codes the BIOS to limit the amount of voltage the cards can draw. Moving a slider in Afterburner does NOT alter this or affect that in one bit.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

it wont hurt your card. With the turing architecture, it will literally do little, to nothing. Nvidia hard codes the BIOS to limit the amount of voltage the cards can draw. Moving a slider in Afterburner does NOT alter this or affect that in one bit.

ok let me try

28 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

Will it decrease life of gpu?

How much performance i could gain by making it to +100 from 0 in gtx 1650. 

28 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:It got stuck in quote somehow)

just use msi afterburner follow a guide turn everything up slowly as you can as long as you don’t get a single artificer.

turn power limit max as I always do.

but keep an eye on temps.

i abuse my 1060 6gb it’s oc’d higher than a 1070 lol

15 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

turn power limit max as I always do.

but keep an eye on temps.

So 1060 is powerful as 1070?

23 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

lot of comments in youtube

say it will damage card

i am scared

It won't most likely - you also first need to unlock it,  otherwise it does absolutely nothing.  The gains to be had are minimal anyway. 

I can OC my Pascal card to +150 core clock and +900 memory without any voltage OC, and it's stable except in very few applications,  basically it's only good for benchmarks, they love high frequencies obviously,  but for every day usage I dialed it back a lot,  +115 core clock + 775 memory clock (the sweet spot before some applications crash on my card).

My suggestion is : do not touch the core voltage unless you 100% know what you're doing,  it's not worth it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It won't most likely - you also first need to unlock it,  otherwise it does absolutely nothing.  The gains to be had are minimal anyway. 

I can OC my Pascal card to +150 core clock and +900 memory without any voltage OC, and it's stable except in very few applications,  basically it's only good for benchmarks, they love high frequencies obviously,  but for every day usage I dialed it back a lot,  +115 core clock + 775 memory clock (the sweet spot before some applications crash on my card).

My suggestion is : do not touch the core voltage unless you 100% know what you're doing,  it's not worth it. 

I gave voltage unlock: msi standard.

I can move the sliders is that means i unlocked the voltage

Just now, Dinesh1 said:

So 1060 is powerful as 1070?

No, lol.

19 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

What's your settings? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, lol.

What's your settings? 

Gtx 1650

2 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

I gave voltage unlock: msi standard.

I can move the sliders is that means i unlocked the voltage

Yes. It just won't do much as has been explained already because Nvidia puts safe limits on their cards obviously because they don't want people who don't know what they're doing destroy their cards nilly willy. 

I'm curious why do you want to OC your (probably) brand-new card anyways? 

Slow FPS? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes. It just won't do much as has been explained already because Nvidia puts safe limits on their cards obviously because they don't want people who don't know what they're doing destroy their cards nilly willy. 

I'm curious why do you want to OC your (probably) brand-new card anyways? 

Slow FPS? 

Yes.will it reduce card long life

Most likely, but on the other hand if your card is already underperforming now it won't last you long anyways and you'll have to get a new card in 1-2 years at the latest, so longevity should probably not concern you much. 

It's just,  trust me,  voltage overclock is mostly useless unless you use liquid cooling or something,  you're better of OC normally, core clock / memory,  also it will be more stable,  high voltage tends to crash applications more often, believe it or not. 

Lastly I recommend using Firestrike benchmark as it will show you instabilities in your OC by far the best in a realistic environment before any other benchmarks  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Most likely, but on the other hand if your card is already underperforming now it won't last you long anyways and you'll have to get a new card in 1-2 years at the latest, so longevity should probably not concern you much. 

It's just,  trust me,  voltage overclock is mostly useless unless you use liquid cooling or something,  you're better of OC normally, core clock / memory,  also it will be more stable,  high voltage tends to crash applications more often, believe it or not. 

Lastly I recommend using Firestrike benchmark as it will show you instabilities in your OC by far the best in a realistic environment before any other benchmarks  

Some say it affects longevity

Some say not

Hmm???

1 minute ago, Dinesh1 said:

Some say it affects longevity

Some say not

Hmm???

How long do you plan on using this card? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

How long do you plan on using this card? 

I will buy new one if this cant run gta6 @30 fps

So idk ( propably i wait for gtx 3650 or 3660)

Will zotac give guarantee for 3 years

If i increase voltage?

Yes they will, because they cant finde out :D

Also its is perfectly legal to do so

AND WONT damage th card. Only proper cooling is needed