So I recently upgraded to an intel i9-9900k. Now im still rocking a Corsair H100i v2 and it does a good job of cooling this thing even if its still a tad hotter then id like it to be under load, around 85c normally (this is with no overclock). I'm kinda looking for opinions and recommendations for coolers be it air or water. i do plan on throwing an overclock at it further down the line but, cooler first. I like the new all black Noctua air cooler, but is it strong enough? what are some good top end water coolers I could look into that you guys use and like?

I would go for the top end Noctua!

With a good air flow you way better.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

8 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I would go for the top end Noctua!

With a good air flow you way better.

I have a full size tower with great air flow too so maybe the Noctua NH D15 is the way to go? loooove that new all black one they just dropped too.

26 minutes ago, AntiHero said:

I have a full size tower with great air flow too so maybe the Noctua NH D15 is the way to go? loooove that new all black one they just dropped too.

Yes it should handle it even overclocked at 5GHz if you can reach that.

12 hours ago, AntiHero said:

So I recently upgraded to an intel i9-9900k

i9-9900K has a thermal interface limitation of about 200W. I.e. no matter what cooler you install, the CPU die will only be able to pass about 200W to it, due to the thermal interface between the die and the heatspreader.

Check Der8auer's videos on youtube for confirmation.

If you don't plan to delid the CPU, both your existing AIO or a NH-D15 are fine, no need to change.

The NH-D15 doesn't cool much better if at all compared to the H100i V2. If you plan to manually oca bit, that might not be much hotter than default settings. If you want to push things further, you should get a larger AIO or a custom loop. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:52 AM, 1van said:

i9-9900K has a thermal interface limitation of about 200W. I.e. no matter what cooler you install, the CPU die will only be able to pass about 200W to it, due to the thermal interface between the die and the heatspreader.

Check Der8auer's videos on youtube for confirmation.

If you don't plan to delid the CPU, both your existing AIO or a NH-D15 are fine, no need to change.

funny you mention that, i recently got talked into delidding it and replacing the cover with a lapped copper one. its just my cooler is going on 4 years now and will need replacing before long, wanted to just do everything at once. Oh and this isnt normally something id just go ahead and do, i have a friend thats into this sorta thing and wants to basically do it for me.... he has alot of experience so ya know, why not right.

@AntiHeroI'd still try it with H100i after delidding first, the temps will drop and it may be enough.

It appears that I was wrong about 200W figure, it is somewhat more than that?

On 11/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, 1van said:

@AntiHeroI'd still try it with H100i after delidding first, the temps will drop and it may be enough.

It appears that I was wrong about 200W figure, it is somewhat more than that?

still worth a shot i suppose, i just worry about the age of the cooler. figured while im doing all this, mine as well strap a new cooler to it.