? Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

rcmaehl
46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

This piece of shit isn't futuristic. No matter how much mental gymnastics you try to do to say that it is.

I didn’t say that.  I said “retro futuristic” good to reveal the actual opinion though.  You think it’s a piece of shit.  Or you want other people to think it’s a piece of shit.  Or something.  Myself I think if that’s really all it is going to be you may be correct. I doubt that’s really all it’s going to be though.  Not because it’s a bad way to build a car necessarily.  Remove some of the angles and round it out and it would look more or less alike any other pickup, but because it asks too much of the human psyche.  

I do think some of the ideas like the telescoping ramp tailgate are bad.  The problem with telescoping stuff is it has to fit extremely closely.  Truck beds are dirty.  It’s likely going to cause all kinds of problems.

also, those “mental gymnastics” aren’t. I went to art school.  A decent one even.  I was an art director.  I know the history of design and how to do it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No. The thing doesn’t rethink the basics, it is basic. The overall design is very much in line with cars like the DMC-12 and Lotus Espirit S2. The silhouette resembles a Lamborgini Huracan that’s been lifted with a small, flat side skirt added.

It's also a truck, and a truck hasn't been done like this before.  My point stands.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I said “retro futuristic”

Again, there is no spinning this thing into any concept of "futuristic." It's a basic, outdated design.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

It's also a truck, and a truck hasn't been done like this before.  My point stands.

The fact that it's a truck is irrelevant. The design is outdated.

And as for "a truck hasn't been done like this before," this thing is an uninspired lump of metal that looks like a mid 90's game render, something most people don't really like. No truck manufacturer went with this design because none of them are stupid enough to.

And it's not like trucks currently on the market have the issue of being either forgettable design or designs being damn near identical. It's not the 80's anymore. So, it doesn't even have an edge in being different. It's just different for the sake of being different.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Kudos for anyone wanting to do a self replacement of the windscreen though... just cut a bit of glass to size... no shaping required. XD

7 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Kudos for anyone wanting to do a self replacement of the windscreen though... just cut a bit of glass to size... no shaping required. XD

?

Maybe Tesla is playing 5D chess this entire time. Dropping a truck that's pro-right to repair. We're all just blind fools living in the present

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

?

Maybe Tesla is playing 5D chess this entire time. Dropping a truck that's pro-right to repair this entire time. We're all just blind fools living in the present

Oh, the body/exterior of this thing looks like you could MAD Max it really easy, and repair. Insides? Will make Apple look like saints.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, there is no spinning this thing into any concept of "futuristic." It's a basic, outdated design.

The fact that it's a truck is irrelevant. The design is outdated.

And as for "a truck hasn't been done like this before," this thing is an uninspired lump of metal that looks like a mid 90's game render, something most people don't really like. No truck manufacturer went with this design because none of them are stupid enough to.

And it's not like trucks currently on the market have the issue of being either forgettable design or designs being damn near identical. It's not the 80's anymore. So, it doesn't even have an edge in being different. It's just different for the sake of being different.

As it stands, I agree. I particularly have an issue with the nose.

It’s like they wanted military but couldn’t decide whether to go army or air force.  Cadillac went air force which is why I said Cadillac.  Let’s start with army though.

I personally think it needs a lot more Buffalo.  It could probably mostly be done with just plastics.  It needs more Jeep style fender flares for one. They want to curve more and be both larger and softer looking. 
army gear tends to have things sticking out of it.  Make the fender flares bolt on with big bolts.   I want to evoke cage armor.  That grillwork used on army technicals to defend against RPGs. Maybe perforate that back t shape. Turn it into a series of vertical bars.

The Air Force route:  this will have it looking a lot more like a Cadillac.  It will need body lines. Lots of them.  There’s too much unbroken space.  The nose needs a lot of help.  Why is it even that tall?  Also those folds on the corners scream “there used to be headlights here”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Source

KUOWKFM.thumb.jpg.9b3cd8a7d3d6f29319d945ef1f72dac5.jpg

Funny enough, the bottom "RTX OFF" image has better ray and path tracing than the "RTX ON" image.

Heh.  It’s the same vehicle.  literally.  Just different styling.

The top one is styled after a race car though. Note the fake air ducts, fake chin spoiler, and swollen fender flares to make the wheels look bigger.

the lower one isn’t really styled at all.

i think lower does need a bit of upper.  At least around the wheels and nose.

The design is interesting, but too impractical for anyone that actually has a use for a truck. A loading ramp is nice until you put anything dirty in the bed, the bed sides are too high so you can't load anything except from the tailgate, the windshield is too large and good luck with getting the windshield replaced if it gets a stone chip, no third brake light or side mirrors so it's probably not street legal, the interior is odd but maybe that isn't final. People applauding for the truck just because it's different or hasn't been done before probably have no use for a truck anyway.

Tesla should've went with their usual design and made a light duty truck something similar to how a Model 3 was modded to have a truck bed.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

no third brake light or side mirrors so it's probably not street legal,

The entire span of the rear light bar might be able to loophole itself into being street legal. There also might be a second rear light bar that we can't see due to the glass(?) tonneau cover...thing. As for mirrors, I think legally, cameras that provide the same function are legal to use.

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

the bed sides are too high so you can't load anything except from the tailgate

For some people, this isn't really a problem. Particularly those that like to use bed slides, bed caps/covers, etc.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Maintenance is probably going to be expensive.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The design is interesting, but too impractical for anyone that actually has a use for a truck. A loading ramp is nice until you put anything dirty in the bed, the bed sides are too high so you can't load anything except from the tailgate, the windshield is too large and good luck with getting the windshield replaced if it gets a stone chip, no third brake light or side mirrors so it's probably not street legal, the interior is odd but maybe that isn't final. People applauding the design just because it's different or hasn't been done before probably have no use for a truck anyway.

Tesla should've went with their usual design and made a light duty truck something similar to how a Model 3 was modded to have a truck bed.

All good points.  I think I know why they did the back that way.  I suspect that ridge line is structural on top all the way back.  Adds a massive amount of rigidity.

I personally would have done it as a pipe to evoke a roll cage.  It wouldn’t have been solid then either.
 It’s going to handle better than any truck ever.  

Your statement about the front glass has merit, except all auto glass is made custom. finding one would be the same issue no matter what. What I don’t like about it is it’s cab forward.  There are reasons trucks aren’t done cab forward, and it’s what you described.  That glass is fragile.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m calling BS on this one.  Look at the rims.

As others have stated - it's a real truck.

Maybe not the exact final design (I expect there to be a lot of small revisions before final production delivery next year), but this is what they say the final design is more or less going to look like. But as always, who knows?

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As a practical, technical matter, They should have rolled out a local-haul Semi. Electric Drive-powered Semi-trucks for local haul is a very real workload & use case. Instead, we have a 6 year old as car designer.

I mean Tesla did announce a Semi - though I don't think it was local-haul specifically. And I don't even know what their stated release date is for it.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Wow, this looks stupid and absolutely impractical. Also how does this pass any pedestrian safety when literally everyone else has to make squishy soft plastic bumpers and masks on car fronts, make hoods shaped in a way that collision with a person results in lesser damage to knees and head and here we basically have a super fast stainless steel anvil.

A lot of details are unknown - the hood almost certainly has crumple zones. More then that? We'll have to wait and see as more details emerge.

The truck's back looks silly and impractical too. So it has a roulette to close the back. A back that's so tall only NBA players can reach in it relatively normally. With no tail gate which exists on pickup trucks for VERY good reason.

Huh? Not only does it have a tailgate, but the tailgate has a ramp built into it. The back looks like one solid piece - it's not.

It's hilarious even talking about acceleration with pickup trucks like it even matters at any point

It matters enough for Ford to release the Raptor - a pickup that's really fast and has good acceleration.

and sure it tows massive cargo loads, but no on mentions the range you'll be actually doing with that.

More details will emerge - obviously you're going to get far less range when towing a full load - just the same as with a regular truck.

All electric cars obsess with lesser AC usage, super skinny tires for least rolling resistance and all that crap and I call BS on stated range when you have heavy loads on it.

Why would you call BS about the range? Did I miss a part of the presentation that said the 500 mile range was at full load capacity? So in reality the range is like 800+ miles?

No?

No I didn't miss that? Just checking.

When the EPA says a truck can do 22 MPG, they mean when the truck is empty. Not when it's hauling 10,000 pounds. Same goes here. No one logically thinking would see the 500 mile range and assume "Hey that must be at full towing capacity!"

Also point of rugged pickup trucks is that you can toss a canister of petrol in the back if needed for extra range or fill it up in minutes

I really don't think the primary purpose of a rugged truck is so you can carry extra gas. You can do that with non-rugged trucks...

anywhere, even in the middle of frigging forest. Depending on quick charge stations is just silly and impractical and charging it anywhere else means you'll be stuck there for hours, defeating all the purpose of it.

If power was a concern, you could just carry a diesel generator.

If Tesla did a standard pickup truck approach with electric drivetrain, I'd even understand it. Some might adopt it because they'd already know how to utilize it and it would be more ecological and all that jazz. I don't even know who can use this thing in any practical way and I feel like only people driving these will be rich people from California who need a bigger car than their neighbor to tow their skinny asses to a vegan restaurant, but they need to have electric one because green magic pixies lives matter! That's how I see it anyways...

You know that's what majority of current new buyers for trucks are, right? People buying F-150's are usually soccer moms and old accountants and other wealthy people who want a big ass truck for no other reason then they can.

This truck is practical enough that for most truck owners, who aren't contractors working in remote sites, but rather just regular people that occasionally haul big loads - this will work just fine for them.

And if pricing is accurate, it's not for rich people. The entry model is $39,000 before tax incentives. The upper model is certainly for upper-middle class, yes, but there are 3 really good price brackets.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Given the ground clearance, not likely.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

except all auto glass is made custom. finding one would be the same issue no matter what.

Not all that hard, actually.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It matters enough for Ford to release the Raptor - a pickup that's really fast and has good acceleration.

The Raptor is a different animal. That truck, along side the RAM counterparts (Rebel and TRX) and Tacoma, are designed more for fun. The Raptor also wasn't made to be a fast truck on the track, it's a nimble off roader.

For fast stock track trucks ,you want to look at the Ford SVT Lightning and RAM SRT-10 (still one of the fastest stock trucks), both of which have been discontinued since '04.

Whereas every other truck needs enough get up and go to be able to do things like merge into high speed traffic safely. Anything beyond that is just a cherry on top.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

33 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Tesla should've went with their usual design and made a light duty truck something similar to how a Model 3 was modded to have a truck bed

That's called a Ute. Unfortunately Ute's haven't sold well in the US :(

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

Unfortunately Ute's haven't sold well in the US

Given what half of them look like, it's not that unfortunate.

Though I wish the Subaru Baja was successful. Give that thing an STI option, and I could see myself driving it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Tesla releases a fuggo pickup truck and gets a thread on here, meanwhile ford releases the all electric Mach-E and no one bats an eye.... hhhhmmmm.... me thinks soon Tesla won’t be the only electric car makers in town and other companies will soon surpass them in both range and affordability.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All good points.  I think I know why they did the back that way.  I suspect that ridge line is structural on top all the way back.  Adds a massive amount of rigidity.

I personally would have done it as a pipe to evoke a roll cage.  It wouldn’t have been solid then either.

Your statement about the front glass has merit, except all auto glass is made custom. finding one would be the same issue no matter what. What I don’t like about it is it’s cab forward.  There are reasons trucks aren’t done cab forward, and it’s what you described.  That glass is fragile.

Yeah that is a really good observation, the top ridge looks a lot like a roll cage, and the bed being integrated into the body will probably help with handling,  but the sharp ridge line just doesn't look appealing IMO and I still prefer a sweeping or flat roof line.  It can be difficult to get parts from Tesla,not just any shop does Tesla repairs either so it being cab forward with tons of glass could be an issue.

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Huh? Not only does it have a tailgate, but the tailgate has a ramp built into it. The back looks like one solid piece - it's not.

A ramp seems very much a gimmick, as soon as you roll an ATV full of mud up the ramp you're going to ruin it.

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The Raptor is a niche, it's more of a fun toy than a practical work truck.

31 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why would you call BS about the range? Did I miss a part of the presentation that said the 500 mile range was at full load capacity? So in reality the range is like 800+ miles?

A 500 mile range at full capacity? I seriously doubt that, likely not at 65mph or climbing any hills.

31 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If power was a concern, you could just carry a diesel generator.

So the whole point of driving an electric truck would be taken away because you need fuel to recharge the truck lol.

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Tesla releases a fuggo pickup truck and gets a thread on here, meanwhile ford releases the all electric Mach-E and no one bats an eye.... hhhhmmmm.... me thinks soon Tesla won’t be the only electric car makers in town and other companies will soon surpass them in both range and affordability.

There's nothing wrong the the Mach-E and it's a great car (minus the people upset it shares the Mustang name), meanwhile POLARIZING POLYGONS PERPLEX THE PERFORMANCE POPULACE