need quick advice on picking PSU for my pc (hurry)

empleat

There are so many pros and cons, it is actually impossible to pick perfect, unless you spend like 300$. I find one like corsair 750w rtx, but it has capacitators in cables and makes it hard to route them through back of the case. Than i find seasonic focus plus 750w and it has bad efficiency for 5vsb, i don't know if is it big deal, or not in terms of quality and protection.  I don't care about power consumption when idle that much, google didn't find anything, only one time i read during high load poor 5vsb efficiency could cause computer powering down, don't know if it is true or not. Should i care about that ?

This is my pc build and i will OC probably, so 650w is cutting it close.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/23dYgJ

I can even buy 850w, i prefer quality before power consumption. But problem is... i was looking hard and still can't find any good, there is always some problem. Another thing is - i found evga 750 g3, which had very positive review on multiple review sites, but terrible user review and i found out it has bad overvoltage protection on 12V and that's why it destroyed peoples computers... So i can't trust shit and i heard 80 gold standard + omits to certify certain things and we know corporations are greedy and hide as much of facts as possible... And i don't have currently time to do some mega research. Could you please give me advice, from someone who knows what he is talking about please.

6 minutes ago, empleat said:

There are so many pros and cons, it is actually impossible to pick perfect, unless you spend like 300$. I find one like corsair 750w rtx, but it has capacitators in cables and makes it hard to route them through back of the case. Than i find seasonic focus plus 750w and it has bad efficiency for 5vsb, i don't know if is it big deal, or not in terms of quality and protection.  I don't care about power consumption when idle that much, google didn't find anything, only one time i read during high load poor 5vsb efficiency could cause computer powering down, don't know if it is true or not. Should i care about that ?

I can even buy 850w, i prefer quality before power consumption. But problem is... i was looking hard and still can't find any good, there is always some problem. Another thing is - i found evga 750 g3, which had very positive review on multiple review sites, but terrible user review and i found out it has bad overvoltage protection on 12V and that's why it destroyed peoples computers... So i can't trust shit and i heard 80 gold standard + omits to certify certain things and we know corporations are greedy and hide as much of facts as possible... And i don't have currently time to do some mega research. Could you please give me advice, from someone who knows what he is talking about please.

Why so many different storage drives 

Back on topic, I have a rm850, my sister has a RM 750. They are a psu and that is all you need, yeah efficency comes into it a bit but a 1000w psu at 60% efficency is good enough

I'm running a 9900kf and a 2080super 

My sister has a 9600k and a 2070

8 minutes ago, empleat said:

only one time i read during high load poor 5vsb efficiency could cause computer powering down, don't know if it is true or not.

5VSB = 5V Stand-by power. It is used when the system is shut down to power USB devices while the system is off as well as power the motherboard for features such as wake over LAN.

No, it's not going to cause your computer to turn off under heavy load.

12 minutes ago, empleat said:

Your system with an i5 9600K + RTX2070 will likely draw less than 350W under load. PCPP gives a power estimation for its build lists, and it is recommending 450W for your system, however it has flaws in its calcualtion in that it assumes 20W per HDD and 70W for the motherboard, which is not accurate.
550W would be plenty.

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

They are a psu and that is all you need, yeah efficency comes into it a bit but a 1000w psu at 60% efficency is good enough

What does this even mean? :S

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

Back on topic, I have a rm850, my sister has a RM 750. They are a psu and that is all you need, yeah efficency comes into it a bit but a 1000w psu at 60% efficency is good enough

What ?

21 minutes ago, empleat said:

Get the RMx, TXm, Bitfenix or Formula Gold 550/650w.

It looks nice, only thing it has no option to deactivate semi-passive operation, so i need to look for case with psu slot at top, which is probably better anyways.

They said it come with better fan in against section, how is that con :D

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750-power-supply,6172.html

Again people complain it destroyed their pc on amazon, don't know if i should pay to much attention to that, it could be always one faulty. Didn't have yet time to google more about this psu, before another person wrote.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Certified-Modular-Microsoft-Standby/dp/B07RF237B1/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Corsair%2BRM750&qid=1574328650&sr=8-1&th=1

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No, it's not going to cause your computer to turn off under heavy load.

But should i pay any attention to the fact if there is weak and low efficiency under 5vsb ?

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

550W would be plenty.

Strange i used this calculator and it said recommended 644W. Remember i will overclock.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

24 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What does this even mean? :S

18 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

What ?

it was more a statement that if he is looking at the higher W PSU systems (650+) the efficency isnt as important compaired to the reliablility of the psu and the stability of the power being delivered, as 1000w at 60% is still 600w (60% was a tad rediculious) which is quite enough for an i5 and 2070 s

18 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Get the RMx, TXm, Bitfenix or Formula Gold 550/650w.

the RMx is the newer model compaired to the RM right?

17 minutes ago, empleat said:

It looks nice, only thing it has no option to deactivate semi-passive operation, so i need to look for case with psu slot at top, which is probably better anyways.

They said it come with better fan in against section, how is that con :D

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750-power-supply,6172.html

Again people complain it destroyed their pc on amazon, don't know if i should pay to much attention to that, it could be always one faulty. Didn't have yet time to google more about this psu, before another person wrote.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Certified-Modular-Microsoft-Standby/dp/B07RF237B1/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Corsair%2BRM750&qid=1574328650&sr=8-1&th=1

slot at the top?, why is that?

the RMx models (RM750x, RM850x) i believe are the newer models of the psu (i would reccomend going one of them over a normal RM model)

yeah, tbh i dont really trust reviews on items, i do look at them but they are not the be all and end all of my decision as if someone gets a product and it works they are more likely to not review it than if it is broken, i believe the printer that i got had quite negitive reviews but when it arrived for me it was quite good and i dont really see much of the stuff they were complaining about happening

I read it in review, because you can't turn semi-passive operation off, when psu is at bottom it would overheat.

What i don't like on RM750x is that, it has low distance between peripheral connectors and capacitators in cables, making them hard to route in back of the case.

3 minutes ago, empleat said:

I read it in review, because you can't turn semi-passive operation off, when psu is at bottom it would overheat.

What i don't like on RM750x is that, it has low distance between peripheral connectors and capacitators in cables, making them hard to route in back of the case.

my psu is mounted at the bottom (same as my sisters) and i have not noticed any overheating issues with it 

what sort of case (mine is quite large and my sisters is the spec omega which are both atx and the length doesnt seem to be that short)

Yeah but has in cable capacitators how do you route it in back ? People complained it is hard to route and it is even on tomshardware in review, psu with capacitators in cable are hard to route. And people said it burned their cpu, which can be rare case but i don't know, i need more information yet. I found that too about evga 750 g3, which had very nice reviews on review sites, but bad at amazon. And i don't want buy bad psu. So i am now looking to rm750x more.

7 minutes ago, empleat said:

Strange i used this calculator and it said recommended 644W. Remember i will overclock.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Outervision is even worse. Keep in mind they make their money through sponsorships and affiliate links through stores such as Amazon. They want you to buy a more expensive, higher wattage power supply as it makes them more money.
Outervision intentionally inflates its results. If you don't believe me try putting NOTHING in to the calculator and hit calculate. It will give you a power draw of 110W and recommend at least 160W... FOR NO HARDWARE AT ALL!! Just 160W evaporating off in to thin air according to Outervision.

A decent 550W PSU would be fine for overclocking an i5 9600K + RTX2070.

But should i pay any attention to the fact if there is weak and low efficiency under 5vsb ?

Efficiency in standby isn't that important since the power draw is so low. Computer in standby mode might only be drawing 1W. Maybe up to 5W if it's powering a bunch of RGB LEDs that stay on in standby.

Looking at the Seasonic Focus Plus 750W review on Tom's Hardware, which is I believe where you read the note about 5VSB efficiency, the efficiency is between 74-78%. For comparison the 5VSB efficiency of the Corsair RM750x in its Tom's Hardware review is between 77-79% efficient. Yes, the Seasonic unit could be slightly better, but it's not a huge difference, and since we're talking about really low power use on 5VSB the difference in efficiency will account for less than 1W difference in power consumption.

27 minutes ago, empleat said:

One thing you should note is that the reviews listed on the Amazon page for the Corsair RM750 are NOT for the Corsair RM750. This is some really stupid thing that Amazon does where it groups similar product reviews together. I looked through the 1 star reviews there and the top reviews are all for different units, mostly the RMx, RMx White, or TXM.
Also, customer reviews aren't reliable. People only ever complain when something goes wrong, and Corsair sells a LOT of PSUs so the small percentage of bad units = lots of bad reviews.

5 minutes ago, empleat said:

Correct. The RMx units do not have a way to toggle the semi-passive operation off. They do, however, have a rather smart fan controller which will turn the fan on based on temperature and load, not just load by itself... But if you would still prefer a power supply which has a manual switch to toggle the semi-passive mode, or a power supply without a semi passive mode altogether, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, empleat said:

I find one like corsair 750w rtx, but it has capacitators in cables and makes it hard to route them through back of the case. 

The cables on the Corsair RMx unit feature in-line cable capacitors near the end of the CPU, Motherboard, and PCIe power cables. This does make the cables a little bulky and stiff. Personally it's not a huge problem for me or in my case (I have an RMx), but I can understand why some people might not like it.

If your concerns with the Corsair RMx are that it has a semi-passive fan and stiff cables with in-line capacitors, then I would suggest considering the Bitfenix Whisper M power supply if it is available to you. Quiet fan that always spins (low RPM) and no in-line cable capacitors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

it was more a statement that if he is looking at the higher W PSU systems (650+) the efficency isnt as important compaired to the reliablility of the psu and the stability of the power being delivered, as 1000w at 60% is still 600w (60% was a tad rediculious) which is quite enough for an i5 and 2070 s

That's not how efficiency works. If you spend 2 seconds to look at the output table for the PSU, you'll find the actual output. The power draw from the wall at 1000W output at 60% efficiency will be 1000/0,60, or 1670W.

17 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

the RMx is the newer model compaired to the RM right?

Corsair has a new RM series, very similar to the RMx 2018.

because you can't turn semi-passive operation off, when psu is at bottom it would overheat.

The PSU fan on pretty much any PSU is controlled by the temperature. The RMx has a particularly fancy controller, which takes into account more factors. Do you seriously think that the guys at Corsair are so stupid that they would make a PSU that overheats under a normal scenario...?

:)

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Outervision is even worse.

Yeah that's possible, i have feeling i read somewhere this calculator is legit, but that could have been false information too, who is supposed to know today times, unless you are expert on topic.

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

People only ever complain when something goes wrong

totally agree

Yeah i think i get bitfenix than, are you sure 550w is enough tho, i had much older computer than i have now and in shop when i bought it, btw it was decent shop.Had 620w psu  and they underclocked my pc claiming that psu wasn't strong enough. It was older pc, so it could draw more power and i had 4 ram pieces and single gpu. What psu calculator is legit ? I guess i can buy 650 or 750 it is not that much of a deal for me. Anyway thank you for help and your time, you gave me very detailed answer ! 

i had much older computer than i have now and in shop when i bought it, btw it was decent shop.Had 620w psu  and they underclocked my pc claiming that psu wasn't strong enough.

Don't shop there again.

What psu calculator is legit ?

They're all kinda garbage.

My recommendation is to look at reviews for the CPU and graphics card which test power consumption. Tom's Hardware is pretty good for this, but there are other review outlets that do it as well. The CPU and GPU have the highest consumption in the computer, so you can get a pretty good idea based on how much power they use. Reviews will also often have power consumption values when overclocked as well.

Just make sure you pay attention to whether the review is measuring power consumption for only the part they are reviewing, or if they're measuring the total power consumption of the entire system.

Rest of the system such as the motherboard, RAM, HDDs, etc doesn't require as much power. Maybe 5W for the RAM, 10-20W for the motherboard, 5-10W per HDD, 2W per fan, etc. I usually just add an extra 50W on top of the CPU + GPU and that gives a good enough idea of what the total system will use.

That said, it doesn't really hurt going with a higher wattage power supply either. Choosing a 650W power supply instead of a 550W power supply isn't going to cause you issues. The main downside to buying a higher wattage power supply is that you're spending more money for something that won't give you any extra benefit.

Edited by Spotty

With that shop i am not sure, it is that situation like with one bad review, it is really big and overall good and highly rated shop, it could be just one person who works there, whatever...

I guess i could do stress test and see, if my computer will switch off and if it won't be enough return it.

4 minutes ago, empleat said:

I guess i could do stress test and see, if my computer will switch off and if it won't be enough return it.

Do you have a power meter? One that plugs in to the wall and measures the power drawn by devices plugged in to it?

That will give you an idea of how much power the system is drawing from the wall (before efficiency loss).

I don't, but if i do stress test, i should be able to tell right ?

Or i take 650, it is fine...

2 minutes ago, empleat said:

I don't, but if i do stress test, i should be able to tell right ?

Not really. Power supply won't just shut down if you use more than the rated wattage. A 550W rated power supply can deliver more than 550W.
It will only shut down the system when one of the protections is tripped, in this case most likely OPP (Over Power Protection). On the Whisper M 550W OPP should trigger by around 130%, or just over 700W load. Corsair RMx is a little tighter at around 120% or 650W.

The system not shutting down during a stress test isn't really a useful indicator of how much power the system is consuming.

See what the prices are like for the different wattages. Sometimes the 650W is the same price or only a few dollars more than the 550W. If it will give you more confidence in it then go for it, but it's really not necessary.

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

Outervision intentionally inflates its results. If you don't believe me try putting NOTHING in to the calculator and hit calculate. It will give you a power draw of 110W and recommend at least 160W... FOR NO HARDWARE AT ALL!! Just 160W evaporating off in to thin air according to Outervision.

But at least the rail distribution calculations are 100% accurate. I have big respect for whomever designed this educated and scientific big brain 200 IQ algorithm that predicts my Nothing will consume exactly 4.4A from 12V, 8.1A from 3.3 and 6.7A from 5V. ?

Heh what do you know... My motherboard had faulty socket... So i decided to wait for 10 gen intel cpus. I already own corsair RM650x, i am 99% sure it will be compatible with new mobo and cpu. But what if something changes and it will require more cpu pins, or more mobo pins. I didn't find info about it, since it is not yet released. Should i return psu and buy new one when it comes out? I think i should do that, you never know, maybe something changes. I already have to return bunch of stuff so...

EDIT: i returned it and will but new when i get new pc, my mobo was faulty so i returned it and wait for intel 10gen...