School internet stops working when I change my DNS

Eton

On my laptop I have my DNS servers set to 1.1.1.1, and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare DNS). However, when I connect to my schools network my internet stops working completely. I am aware that they are using the Fortiguard Webfilter DNS filter. Any ideas on why this happens and how I can fix this?

Yeah my school blocks anything but Google's DNS servers so I'd just leave it as is. You can *try* talking to IT or someone but I doubt they'll change anything.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, Eton said:

On my laptop I have my DNS servers set to 1.1.1.1, and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare DNS). However, when I connect to my schools network my internet stops working completely. I am aware that they are using the Fortiguard Webfilter DNS filter. Any ideas on why this happens and how I can fix this?

They are either catching all DNS traffic and only allowing their own DNS to run, or just blocked cloudflare dns. We cannot help you any further as getting past filters and limitations set by your school/employer/your parents are not allowed on LTT forums.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah my school blocks anything but Google's DNS servers so I'd just leave it as is. You can *try* talking to IT or someone but I doubt they'll change anything.

Yeah, it sucks. Fortiguard Webfilter is a DNS based webfilter so I see why they do it, but it's stupid. Their must be something I can do. I mean I have administrator access on all the school computers.

Just now, Eton said:

Yeah, it sucks. Fortiguard Webfilter is a DNS based webfilter so I see why they do it, but it's stupid. Their must be something I can do. I mean I have administrator access on all the school computers.

There's nothing you can do, and even if there was something it probably wouldn't be allowed or maybe even illegal.

My entire school district even blocks VPNs...no privacy here.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Levent said:

They are either catching all DNS traffic and only allowing their own DNS to run, or just blocked cloudflare dns. We cannot help you any further as getting past filters and limitations set by your school/employer/your parents are not allowed on LTT forums.

Okay, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Eton said:

Unless you can log into the server that runs DHCP and change the address it dishes out for DNS then no, no their isn't. Besides, don't f&*k with something someone's worked hard to set up and is there for a reason, to stop you doing stuff you shouldn't and to keep you and the network safe...

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

It sounds like there is a firewall rule in effect blocking external DNS services. The comment about changing DHCP will not work, that would just cause a non-working DNS server to be assigned. When you need is to allow UDP/53 access to 1.1.1.1.

It is common for organizations to block external DNS services. The school likely has internal systems (printers, internet pages, etc.) that will only work if you use their DNS service.

you can tell your school's IT department to change the firewall rules from blocking any dns besides theirs to sending all dns traffic to their dns but they would probably not hear you.

btw you could use dns over https, firefox has it just turn it on, by default it uses cloudflare