AMD Remains Competitive: Zen 3 Announced

Fasauceome

Ever since Intel promised a neat 18% IPC improvement for their 10 nanometer CPUs, there was probably some worry that it would take AMD a while to catch up in single threaded once more. However, while many thought that Zen 2 + was going to be the next architecture (following in the steps of Zen and Zen +) AMD has confirmed that a new generational microarchitecture is on the way:

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-new-cpu-architecture-significant-ipc-gains-higher-clocks/amp/

AMD's Senior Vice President, Forrest Norrod, has unveiled some major details of their next-gen Zen 3 CPU architecture in an interview with The Street

There was no exact performance uplift cited, as that is par for the course for something so far from release. I don't expect the huge IPC improvements that made Zen 2 so incredibly competitive against Intel, but I expect it to be meaningful enough that it will remain the best performance for the dollar (unless Intel decides to change their pricing structure drastically.)

These chipswill be manufactured on the 7nm+ node from tsmc which means that they'll have a lot of improved density and whatnot.

Now according to TSMC themselves, the 7nm+ process node allows an increase of 20% in overall transistor density while increasing power efficiency by 10%. AMD could take full advantage of the process node and we could see a density boost of up to 20% in the Zen 3 architecture while having 10% better power efficiency.

And that's what I love most about Ryzen, the power efficiency.

And let's not forget about epyc

Some of the details we know for EPYC Milan CPUs include:

• 7nm+ Zen 3 cores (~64 core / 128 thread)
  • Pin Compatible With SP3 Socket
  • 120W-225W TDP SKUs
  • PCIe 4.0 Support
  • DDR4 Memory Support
  • Launch in 2020

But let's move on past the stuff we expect, what's new?

When asked about what kind of performance gain Milan's CPU core microarchitecture, which is known as Zen 3, will deliver relative to the Zen 2 microarchitecture that Rome relies on in terms of instructions processed per CPU clock cycle (IPC), Norrod observed that -- unlike Zen 2, which was more of an evolution of the Zen microarchitecture that powers first-gen Epyc CPUs -- Zen 3 will be based on a completely new architecture.

A very important distinction is being made here. It's being implied that the 15% IPC improvement from Zen 2 was kind of chump change, and that maybe the switch to Zen 3, which is going to be fundamentally different, is going to offer so much more in terms of a performance leap. this doesn't surprise me, as the seven nanometer node probably has a ton more potential yet to come.

AMD also confirmed that they will be following Intel's Tick-Tock cadence which Intel seems to have completely abandoned

Just had to take a brief moment to shit on Intel real quick, lel.

My hope:

They adopt "Zen 5" and skip Zen 4 if they go to a new socket and do Ryzen 5000, that way the leading generation number matches up with the microarchitecture identifier and everything becomes easier.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

My hope:

They adopt "Zen 5" and skip Zen 4 if they go to a new socket and do Ryzen 5000, that way the leading generation number matches up with the microarchitecture identifier and everything becomes easier.

I second this, 4s a crappy number anyway.  4000 is fine, but 4, nah son

On 11/19/2019 at 9:05 AM, Otto_iii said:

I second this, 4s a crappy number anyway.  4000 is fine, but 4, nah son

I hope you get the reference

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm liking the news today. I feel like for my workload, a 65w 8-core Zen 2 processor is plenty powerful, so I won't be waiting for Zen 3, but it's still good to see them push the industry forward quicker than everyone could expect.

1 minute ago, That Franc said:

I'm liking the news today. I feel like for my workload, a 65w 8-core Zen 2 processor is plenty powerful, so I won't be waiting for Zen 3, but it's still good to see them push the industry forward quicker than everyone could expect.

Wait till next year or two and get yourself a 3900x for ~$400 usd. 

5 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Wait till next year or two and get yourself a 3900x for ~$400 usd. 

I need a 65 watt chip, and I don't need that many cores for what I do, so 3700X is more than enough for me. (I'd rather get a better graphics card because Resolve really loves CUDA cores, apparently)

Zen+++++++++++++++

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Will be interesting to see if they can push higher clocks. AFAIK Zen 2's IPC is actually a good bit better than Intel's, Intel chips stay on a level or slightly higher in many things due to a higher clock ceiling, but Ryzens give them an extremely hard fight and take home a few wins at 300-500Mhz lower clocks. If they had the clock headroom Intel CPUs do, there wouldn't really be any competition performance wise for most tasks. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, That Franc said:

I need a 65 watt chip, and I don't need that many cores for what I do, so 3700X is more than enough for me. (I'd rather get a better graphics card because Resolve really loves CUDA cores, apparently)

You can run 3900X/3950X at 65W TDP by either turning ECO Mode ON in BIOS or Ryzen Master

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Will be interesting to see if they can push higher clocks. AFAIK Zen 2's IPC is actually a good bit better than Intel's, Intel chips stay on a level or slightly higher in many things due to a higher clock ceiling, but Ryzens give them an extremely hard fight and take home a few wins at 300-500Mhz lower clocks. If they had the clock headroom Intel CPUs do, there wouldn't really be any competition performance wise for most tasks. 

I hope one of the main points they work to address is the steep voltage curve. If AMD overclocked like Intel they wouldn't stand a chance.

Primary PC:

13 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You can run 3900X/3950X at 65W TDP by either turning ECO Mode ON in BIOS or Ryzen Master

Then I'm pretty sure I'll get performance similar to that of an existing 65w chip because... Well, physics? Besides, getting a powerful chip to then continue to nerf it just doesn't sound like an intelligent move to me.

There is target audience for those processors, I'm just not a part of it.

AMD also confirmed that they will be following Intel's Tick-Tock cadence which Intel seems to have completely abandoned

So expect 5nm chips in the generation afterwards then, is what they're saying.

2 minutes ago, That Franc said:

Then I'm pretty sure I'll get performance similar to that of an existing 65w chip because... Well, physics? Besides, getting a powerful chip to then continue to nerf it just doesn't sound like an intelligent move to me.

I'm not sure of the behavior of Ryzen 3000 chips, but with Ryzen 2000, the X series has an aggressive voltage curve. I lowered the voltage of my Ryzen 2700X and capped the maximum speed to 4GHz from 4.3GHz. While that sounds silly at first glance, the 4.3GHz maximum boost was only possible on a handful of cores and when running a sustained workload test, undervolting and capping the speed allowed the processor to sustain it for over half an hour. At stock settings, the processor was chugging down near base clocks within 20-25 minutes.

Nothing much was really shared that wasn't kind of already known. (It should be noted AMD has had working silicon back for like 4 or 5 months at this point, so they know what Zen3 will do.) Epyc is selling really well and will continue to do so because of fairly straight forward TCO reasons.

One thing we know, sort of by accident, is that Zen3's core complex will move to a unified design rather than 2 CCXs. That'll open the entire L3 to each chip, which should help IPC on its own and be really useful in certain server applications. 

#Hyped

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

It does make me wonder should I by a zen 2 now or wait even further from my 2700X

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, That Franc said:

No.

Increasing voltage to achieve higher clock speeds increases the power consumption exponentially not linearly so if you lower the TDP by 50% you won't lose 50% of performance.

Besides I don't understand your logic there. 

You're basically saying that for some reason a stand alone 65W TDP CPU should perform better than a 105W TDP CPU limited to 65W TDP which is a complete opposite in this case for one particular reason. 

The 3900X/3950X are the best bins in the lineup which means that they not only achieve the best performance but they are also more efficient while doing that. 

You can clearly see that in many reviews the 3950X which is the highest bin matches the 3900X in total power consumption while outperforming it quite significantly. 

Lowering TDP on chips like these will allow you to keep the majority of its performance while heavily cutting down on a total power consumption. 

Cool, I'm just chilling with my 2600 though, and probably will be for a long time. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Besides I don't understand your logic there.

There's also an economic argument to be made. Why get a more powerful processor when a less powerful one is already more than enough? I just don't see why I should be spending significantly more money on all that power when it won't make my life substantially better - there is no way I can benefit significantly from this increase.

18 minutes ago, That Franc said:

There's also an economic argument to be made. Why get a more powerful processor when a less powerful one is already more than enough? I just don't see why I should be spending significantly more money on all that power when it won't make my life substantially better - there is no way I can benefit significantly from this increase.

If you can find 3900x in a year or two at $380 USD on second hands then you will not going to snap it? 3700x to 3900x is a huge performance jump in productivity.

1 hour ago, OlympicAssEater said:

3700x to 3900x is a huge performance jump in productivity.

That is HEAVILY dependant on usecase.

For someone like me (and most people here), the 3900X is irrelevant. Unless you're working with large data sets (like video rendering or large scale number crunching) or multiple instances of smaller data sets (like high traffic file/web/game servers or VM hosting), those extra cores just sit around, doing nothing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, That Franc said:

Not even close. I did that experiment a few weeks ago on my 3900X. I downclocked it to about 3700-3800MHz fixed and undervolted it to 0.975V or something like that, to make it draw as close as I could get it to 65 W. And it still got over 2800 points in Cinebench.

And from what I read about the 3950X, these chips are very much better binned that the 3900x again, so they should perform even better.

Wait, so are we getting an iteration of Zen 2 like Zen 2+ first?

Or are they going straight to a new architecture with Zen 3?

Is Zen 3 supposed to be released in 2020?