ok so will a 5700XT work on pcie 3.0?

xreaperx22
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
Just now, xreaperx22 said:

ok so next question would the 5700XT be a significant upgrade over the 980TI im using now? a lot of people are trying to get me to go with a 2070 super instead but price per performance cant be beat with the 5700XT to me.

I don't have an exact test to show you but I would estimate that the 5700 XT would be roughly a 50% uplift over the 980 Ti, though this will vary by game and I would say that answer is at best +/-10%.  As for value vs the Super series, you are correct, the 5700 XT is a better value unless you need the nvidia specific features like NVENC encoder, RTX, etc. or want to exceed that performance level (2080+).

planning on getting an upgrade GPU coming from a 980ti to most likely 5700XT red devil or something like that,anyways i been getting mixed bag of comments about it either not working or working with pcie 3.0,and the motherboard im on is a ASUS ROG Maximus IX Extreme,bit older board but still very relevent for just gaming with a 6700k cpu.....so will it work? i sure hope so....

Yes. PCIe 4.0 has essentially zero advantage for a GPU in terms of performance, at least for now.

edit: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/

Edited by Eigenvektor
Add benchmark link

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It will even work on a PCIe 1.0 1x connection.  Granted performance would be very bad, but they've been good about maintaining complete backward compatibility, as well as making a full compliment of lanes "recommended but not required"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

all PCIe generations are intercompatible. PCIe gen 1 is functional with PCIe 4.0 devices (assuming no other barring factors like legacy support modes)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It will even work on a PCIe 1.0 1x connection

I thought PCIe x4 and below deliver less power?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

That would be a problem for an old card that needs the power. If your card needs less power than the port can provide, it shouldn't cause issues?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

• ×1 cards are limited to 0.5 A at +12 V (6 W) and 10 W combined.
  • ×4 and wider cards are limited to 2.1 A at +12 V (25 W) and 25 W combined.
  • A full-sized ×1 card may draw up to the 25 W limits after initialization and software configuration as a "high power device".
  • A full-sized ×16 graphics card[15] may draw up to 5.5 A at +12 V (66 W) and 75 W combined after initialization and software configuration as a "high power device".

According to wikipedia at least.  So yeah there's a drop under 4x, but there's also a drop under 16x and many people run those, and apparently 1x things can bypass the limit by telling the system they need more anyway

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

According to wikipedia at least.  So yeah there's a drop under 4x, but there's also a drop under 16x and many people run those, and apparently 1x things can bypass the limit by telling the system they need more anyway

ok so next question would the 5700XT be a significant upgrade over the 980TI im using now? a lot of people are trying to get me to go with a 2070 super instead but price per performance cant be beat with the 5700XT to me.

Just now, xreaperx22 said:

I don't have an exact test to show you but I would estimate that the 5700 XT would be roughly a 50% uplift over the 980 Ti, though this will vary by game and I would say that answer is at best +/-10%.  As for value vs the Super series, you are correct, the 5700 XT is a better value unless you need the nvidia specific features like NVENC encoder, RTX, etc. or want to exceed that performance level (2080+).

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well that sounds great to me,5700XT it is then,cant justify spending 100 dollars or more for maybe 10% more performance,and yeah for me rtx is just meh,and i wont need nvenc so ok i have a choice now thanks for the info everyone!

13 hours ago, xreaperx22 said:

well that sounds great to me,5700XT it is then,cant justify spending 100 dollars or more for maybe 10% more performance,and yeah for me rtx is just meh,and i wont need nvenc so ok i have a choice now thanks for the info everyone!

I almost forgot, just make sure to get an AIB one (MSI, gigabyte, ASUS, etc ) and not the horrible reference blower that's loud and overheats.